Ships Nostalgia banner

J & J Denholm

281K views 896 replies 190 participants last post by  Varley 
#1 · (Edited)
There must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D." Let's hear them!

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 85 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.

Additions to the original post are shown in red:

Al Dhrafrah (Tanker), Andros (Geared Container), Anglia Team (OBO), Arctic Troll (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Arisaig (Bulk Carrier), Asiafreighter (Container), Asialiner (Container), Athol Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier), Avon Bridge (OBO), Bibi (General Cargo), Braveness (Bulk Carrier), Broompark (Bulk Carrier), Burmah Agate (Tanker), Burmah Endeavour (Tanker), Burmah Enterprise (Tanker), Burmah Gem (Tanker), Burmah Opal (Tanker), Burmah Pearl (Tanker), Burmah Peridot (Tanker), Carronpark (Bulk Carrier), Cast Fulmar (OBO), Cast Narwhal (OBO), Cast Puffin (OBO), Cast Tern (OBO), Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Chemical Explorer (Tanker), Chemical Venturer (Tanker), Clarkavon (Bulk Carrier), Clunepark (Bulk Carrier), Coastal Corpus Christi (Tanker), Coastal Hercules (Tanker), Conon Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Craigallian (Bulk Carrier), Crinan (Bulk Carrier), Dunadd (Bulk Carrier), Dunelmia (General Cargo), Duncraig (Bulk Carrier), Dunkyle (Bulk Carrier), Eden Bridge (OBO),
Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Eurofreighter (Container), Euroliner (Container), Gallic Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Gastor (Gas Carrier), Gina Maria (General Cargo), Holness (Bulk Carrier), Industria (General Cargo), Letitia (General Cargo), Loch Lomond (Reefer), Loch Long (Reefer), Loch Maree (Reefer), Morar (Bulk Carrier), Mountpark (Bulk Carrier), Muirfield (OBO), Nestor (Gas Carrier), Nordic Ambassador (Tanker), Nordic Clansman (Tanker), Nordic Commander (Tanker), Nordic Crusader (OBO), Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier), Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier), Norvegia Team (OBO), Scandia Team (OBO), Scotspark (Bulk Carrier), Seatrain Bennington (Container), Seatrain Saratoga (Container), Sevonia Team (OBO), Silver Bridge (OBO), Sir Alexander Glen (OBO), Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship), Sir John Hunter (OBO), Spey Bridge (OBO), Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Stonehaven (Tanker), Stromness (Bulk Carrier), Suecia Team (OBO), Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier), Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), Tor Anglia(RORO), Tor Hollandia (RORO), Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)

See less See more
#202 ·
Crinan 64 intake

DCMARINE said:
John,
"Six trips to Seven Islands" etc., is only part of a verse but I do not know what the Title was although I have a feeling "Diamond D" came into it.
Will have to dig out the photo I have of us all joining the "Crinan" to see who was all in the intake but I did think there was a "Kelly" and thought it was Sloan though not sure as there was a Vince Kelly in the North Sea many years ago.
Others:
Angus Murray (Lewis) - in N. Sea now Stornoway Coastguard.
Donald Murray (Lewis)
Paddy Murphy ? (Ireland)
George Morrison (Middlesborough)
Doug Murdoch (Welyn Garden City)
John G. Falconer (Dundee) - last heard of over 30 years ago as Master of Dutch coaster in Vietnam and trading to Aussie - just missed him in Port Hedland.
.......... Cameron (Dundee)
Gibby Watt (Fraserburgh) - still on N. Sea supply boats
Will revert with the missing two.
Some Senior cadets:
Peter Bloomer - retired ex supply boat master - sailed with him again there.
.......... Kernachan ?
Yan Kusynski ?
Donald Gunn - now Master on Cal Mac's "Hebrides".
More if and when they come to mind.
Donald[/QUOTE

Donald
It was indeed Sloan Kelly who was one of our Crinan group.I think you may have Paddy's name wrong though. He came from Larne, but i am not convinced his surname was Murphy! Like you i can not recall the missing two names. Of the Seniors that you mentioned, i see from a recent CalMac magazine that Alistair Kernachan has just been presented with a long service award by CalMac, where he is still serving. Other Senior names at the time were : George MacGuire/ George Stevenson/ David S Mackay/ PB Wright.
Regards
Angus

#204 ·
Calum Thomson

Re- Kyto Forest/Conon Forest.

I joined the Havrais (ex Conon Forest) in Tilbury in 1980/1981 and sailed in her for two trips until she came of charter and was sold to Barber Ship Management- a division of Wilhelmsens Oslo- and was renamed the 'Willine Toyo' trading with containers from Japan to the Persian Gulf.
I also had sailed on the Advara on charter to Southern Shipping line Adelaide,
from October 1979 to end of 1980 trading between the Far East and Australia.
She was under the Denholm (Hongkong) Management at that time, but I do'nt know what happened after we left her.
Kind regards to John Cassels from 'Cast Husky, days
Calum Thomson.

#207 ·
Thanks John,

R. B Quiery was there on my first trip on the 'Crinan' in March 1963 Captain Nichol relieved Capt Buckley for the first three months. Campbell Kerr was the Ch Off and Duncan Macdonald from Dunoon way was there before him. Roddy Mackenzie was one of the Seniors, also George Duncan from Dundee.
Happy memories John. Hope you are keeping very well.
Calum.

#208 ·
Calum Thomson

Re-Sealnes.
I did a six months tour on the Jebsen 'Baknes' in 1971, and then went out to stand-by the building of the Swiftnes in NKK Shimizu Japan with Walter Muir Ch/Eng. Bob Cotter came out in April to take the ship on her maiden voyage.
I went on leave but I was hardly at home when I had to go out to the 'Gina Maria' which had gone aground off Belize. After my leave I relieved Bob on
the Swiftnes and afterthat to stand-by and take the Sealnes on her maiden voyage. They were lovely ships. It took one year to build the baknes in Lithgows but only six months to build the other two ships in NKK>
I corresponded with Bob for a long time at Christmas but in the last letter he told me his wife Cathie had cancer, but his mail dried up then and I feared the worst. I was pleased to hear from kevin on this site that he was last heard off standing by a ferry in Spain. Lennox Inglis kindly sent me addresses in the London area but they were ex-directory numbers.
I would dearly like to hear about Bob if anyone can help and also our friend, Donald Balloch .
Kind Regards,
Calum

#209 ·
Malcolm,

Bob was on the Cast ships for a number of years -- Cotter of the Otter as we used
to call him. Last I heard of him was that he was on Spanish ferries running across
the straits of Gib. Cathie died quite a number of years ago.

Donald Balloch well and kicking. Last saw him in Tesco's in Greenock about 3 years
ago. He was at the checkout with Sadie and I crept up behind him and said in his
ear " Wanna buy a cheap Sulzer ". You can imagine with his typical guffaws , brought
the place to a standstill.

Was on the Baknes early 1972 with wee Jock McVicar (who also sadly lost his wife
about 18 months ago). Can't remember who else was there but it was an exciting
7 months.

#596 ·
Baknes

mv Baknes, "Exciting"? Like sitting alongside the dock in Oz, main engines thundering away, screw in neutral pitch to power the shaft alternators to get the hatches open because the gennies wer all gubbed once more, wharfies not going to come up the gangway "Not bluddy safe!" Or the crew sweeping previous cargo residue out of the holds and sweeping the Clyde built welding runs out as well, oh aye, "Clyde built is best." And previous message, Mr Shaw, page 8 .... Burmah Garnet and Naess Viking, you are right, no mention of them so far, and that's no bad thing. Who needs nightmares?
Scarface

#210 ·
calumthomson

To JC
Thanks for your information John. As I said before I was introduced to this site by Kevin Hargin and I am indeed grateful to him for it. It is so intersting finding out where our old shipmates are, though it is difficult to trace some.
I had previously listed all the ships i had ever sailed on at the request of my wife, though I had resisted it for a long time. I will try to copy and paste the Denholm ships I sailed on and may get more contacts in this way:

Glenpark Feb 1962- Dec 1962 Cas-Pan-Jap-Ind-UK Denholm
Crinan (Cadet Feb 1963- Aug 1963 UK-Nor-Can-WA Denholm
Crinan (Ship) Oct 1963-May 1964 As Above Denholm
Crinan do July 1964-Dec 1964 As Above Denholm
Dealmouth Feb 1965–Oct 1965 UK-Cont Can(Lakes) Denholm
Naess Clarion Jan 1966 –Jan 1967 UK-US-Pan-Jap-S/A Denholm
Lithgows Mar 1967-Aug 1967 Lithgows Shipyard Building
Gallic Bridge Aug 1967-Jan 1968 UK-US-Pak-Jap-S/A Denholm
Haverton IHill Feb 1968- July 1968 Shipyard Building. Building
Fort St Cath Oct 1968- Jan 1969 Cont-NA Cont-Ita- Training
Naess Trader Feb 1969-Mar 1969 UK-Nor-UK Denholm
Craigallian Mar 1969-Oct 1969 UK-NA-Can-Nor- Denholm
Naess Parkgate Dec 1970-Mar 1971 UK-NA-Pan-Jap. Denholm
Baknes Mar 1971-Dec 1971 Fra-NA-Pan-Jap Denholm
NKK Japan Jan 1972- May 1972 Shipyard Building Building
Ship Name Dates Served on Trading Pattern Owners
Gina Maria June 1972 – Aug 1972 West Indies- NY. Denholm
Swiftnes Oct 1972— Feb 1973 Cont –Pan NZ-UK Denholm
Sealnes Apr 1973 - Sept 1973 USA-NZ-JAP-UK Denholm
Swiftnes Nov 1973 – Apr 1974 Aust-JAP-CAN- NZ Denholm
Loch Long June 1974 – Nov 1974 NY-W.I-S.A-Swed Denholm
Loch Long Jan 1975 - Mar 1976 Cont – SAM. Denholm
Loch Lomond Aug 1976- Dec 1976 Cont- WA-SA-NAM Denholm
Loch Lomond Mar 1977–Aug 1977 Cont-SA-Cont-SA-Cont Denholm
Loch Lomond Dec 1977 – Mar 1978 SA- USA-Cont Denholm
Andros April 1978 –Aug 1978 HK-Aust-HK_Aust Denholm
Andros Dec 1978– May 1979 FE-AUST-FE-AUST Denholm
Advara Oct 1979 - Feb 1980 FE-AUST-FE-AUST Denholm
Wellpark May 1980- Sept 1980 Aust – Red Sea-SAF Denholm
Havrais Dec 1980 – Apr 1981 UK- Per Gul-FE. Denholm
Loch Lomond May 1981- July 1981 NAF-Med –Malta. Denholm
Paquesa Oct 1981 - Feb 1982 SAM – CONT-SAM Ecuador
Wellpark May 1982 –Sept 1982 LIS-USA-MED Denholm
Cast Husky Dec 1982 -Jan 1986 Cont- Can-Cont-Can Denholm
North Pioneer Feb 1986 –May 1986 Can-Ber-Can-Ber Denholm
North Enterpr May 1986-July 1986 Can-Ber-Can-Ber Denholm
North Explor Oct 1986 – April 1987 Can-Ber-Can-Ber Denholm
North Pioneer Aug 1987 – Mar 1988 Can-Ber-Can-Ber Denholm

#211 · (Edited)
The Scotstoun Saga

Thanks Gulpers and RUUD for the kind words and infromation.

We are having a bit of a dilemma as there appears to have been more than one Scotstoun. I have a contact at LR and he is looking into wether or not either of the two that have been found so far could be the one my father sailed on.
I am not even sure the Scotstoun he sailed on was a Denholms ship.

These links show what I think are two different ships.

http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/scotstoun.html

Clydebuilt website

Am I correct in this assumption?

Also my brother seems to think the Scotstoun my father sailed on was a tanker not a general cargo vessel.

I have no hope now of finding his discharge book, is there anyway a copy is in existance?

Thanks in Advance,
Regards,
Gordon McLeary

#212 ·
The Scotstoun Saga

The links shown by 'mclearg' seem , to me , to be the same vessel.
I may have contributed to this issue since my memory tells me that there was a Scotstoun (tanker) in the Denholm fleet in the late 50's /early 60's.
So far I have found nothing to substantiate that-----so I e mailed Denholm and asked them to look at their records and advise accordingly.
This may be nothing more than the failing memory of an "old f--t"

#213 ·
Re Scostoun.
I sailed on the Scotstoun Feb1980- June 1980, the link Ruud has is the ship I was on.
In June 1980 the Greeks were coming up the gangway in Pireaus as we paid off.
The picture on the Clyde web site is not the same ship.
Joined in Tunisia towed across to Palermo drydock there for rudder repair after that can't remember much,thru the Great lakes, Duluth then on to Poland with sunflower seed then Pireaus.
West Highland and Island crew Smirnoff was just a new form of bottled water!!!!
All the best.
Willie Allan

#216 ·
John Mackinnon

John,
Are you the John Mackinnon who was at Leith College at the same time as I was and then I met you at Lithgow's Yard and I later met at your home in Kilbarkan and latterly at the time of the Mod in Stornoway when we went on board the accommodation ship that was there.
I think there was another John Mackinnon from Barra I sailed with but I cannot recall the name of the ship.
Regards,
Calum Thomson.

#217 ·
John Cassels / Roddy Macsween

John,
Bert Buckly was Master on the Crinan in 1962 and was relieved by Jim Nichol in March 1963 for two months , but rejoined again to be again relieved by Big Jim in September 1963 for his leave. Bert was relieved by the gentleman mentioned who came into Denholms with the 'Vivien Louise'. He was a good soul but a bit past it.
Roddy ,
I remember you well and I can say your latter posts amuse me.
With the passage of time and on reflection, I can assure you that Capt's Buckley and Nichol and 'others' who were in the Crinan at that time had your welfare at heart although it may not have been apparent to you at that time.
It was not funny being transposed suddenly from your home in Broadford and those in the other places to the heaving deck of an ore carrier en-route to Seven Islands or Narvik/Kirkness in mid-winter. The aim of these men was to harden you all to meet with and to cope with the elements you would encounter and to prepare you to meet what was ahead of you head on.
I am pleased to see from your profile that you did well.
Best wishes from 'the islander but not a SKYEMAN'
I do have many friends in Skye.
Calum Thomson

#219 ·
Scotstoun

Arranman----thanks , was beginning to think that I really was an old f-rt with a wandering memory. She is exactly as I remember her and very similar, if not identical to Norscot that I sailed on.
Wonder why there is so little info on her ??? Maybe RUDD can research this further since he obviuosly has a very good data base

#222 ·
Wee John

The Dimond D was my first company and I was proud to be Part of the " Glasgow Greeks" One time a whole new ER crew Joined the" Federal Hudson" in the morning and sailed her in the afternoon, and not one of us had ever sailed on an opposed piston B&W. That was Denholm men. Iwill look through my book and sort out which ships I sailed on and post it then

#223 ·
Norscot

Hi Tom,
Did a "memorable" trip on Norscot in 1959, the ER engineering complement was boosted to eleven, we had 3 2/E's and and 2C/E's in that time
memories indeed.
Glad that you were able to sort out the Scotstoun situation, like yourself my
memory is not at its best but I can recall most of the time spent in Denholms.
Regards
Archie.

#225 ·
Norscot

Hi Tom,
Sounds like J&J indeed, hope you had "recognition" for your efforts.

Spent a great deal of time in the various pump rooms, overhauling
the horizontal Dawson and Downie's.

My engineering experience was much "enhanced" due to that trip.

Stayed with Denholms until 1964, finishing up as 2/E on the
Craigallian, where I spent nearly three years, interspersed with
ticket and other leave.

Regards
Archie.