Ships Nostalgia banner

500 kHz Recordings A9M

87K views 471 replies 61 participants last post by  Varley 
#1 ·
The attached recording may be of interest to those who
spent many hours on watch on 500 kHz.
Most of my recordings were made at home using a
variety of mainly home made DC or Regenerative types.

This clip of A9M in the Persian Gulf, was rather battered
by the strong signal from TFA, but using filters I managed
to pull out A9M from the mess.

Much cleaner signals available from TAH, SUH, 4XO etc etc.

Regards
Finbar EJM ( Retired )

Attachments

#410 ·
When I was doing morse training for 'you know who' occasionally they used to play a 'wobbly morse' tape.

I'm sure many here will remember the 'wobbly morse' from stations up the Gulf, particularly Iran. Perfectly readable once you got the hang of it. During the training most of the students were ex-services and they had quite a bit of trouble with it. The only reason I could read it was because I did a lot of tanker time up the Gulf so I'd got a lot of practice.

We were never examined on it, it was just thrown in for a laugh.

#430 ·
Hi I was a Radio Officer at GKR from 77 until it closed.

Greetings,

The recording attached is of WickRadio GKR on 500 kHz,
with an TTT announcement on the 29th March 1994.

Enjoy.

Finbar EJM retired EI0CF
I was on watch in 88 when the Piper Alpha went up, there was 3 of us handling that case and there is only 2 of us left. I went back to sea with Cunard until I retired in 2000.

#414 ·
Although I never reached the standard of keying of the guy at GPK (#464 this thread), I was never as bad as that guy at GKR!

Never heard keying like that from a GPO operator in my time at sea. Now, where is that Curmudgeon thread?

#420 ·
Still very readable though Ron.

I remember when I finally mastered my Spacemark ETM keyer we came out of the Red Sea bound for Perth (VIP I think) and after I'd sent a bunch of messages he complemented me on my morse. But the fact is, on an electronic keyer like the ETM it is perfect morse, dot dash ratio exactly as prescribed, and once you master it and avoid errors it is literally spot on and that really isn't so much down to the operator, albeit you have to practice, and practice, and practice, but that's nothing new to a keybasher.

(Of course the SOE types would be appalled at this because recognising the 'fist' of an operator would often tell you where it was coming from.)

I've always considered the choice of a morse operator is purely down to personal ideas, if it works for you ... good enough as long as the one at the other end is happy. I'm trying to master a Vibroplex now, with some degree of difficulty I might add not because I was trained on an up and downer, but because I used the old ETM for so many years, which, like and automatic gearbox on a car ... makes you seriously lazy. (Gleam)

#432 ·
I remember when I first got an ICOM PCR1000 receiver well over 10 years ago and went looking for what GKA frequencies I could remember, which were (I think) 8546/12822/17908 KHz (please correct if I'm wrong.)

I couldn't understand why there was no signal ! Which shows how out of touch I was with marine comms !! :sweat:

The station was long gone by then. :eek:

#436 ·
JT,

Back when they first installed Sat on aircraft there were occasions when the
a/c changed direction they would loose the sat signals. It required more aerials around the hull to eliminate that problem. However there are still areas were
the good old HF is king. Arctic regions used to be a problem and also I would imagine that the dark continent has enough financial problems without having to install all the equipment. I am sure that those who are more up to date than me will give you a better answer. AC do have on board systems - used to be called ACARS - which gave continuous readouts of on board systems, so their ops could monitor everything. Nothing like a good bit of paper and HF comms though.

Quote from the WWW -ACARS an acronym for aircraft communications addressing and reporting system) is a digital datalink system for transmission of short messages between aircraft and ground stations via airband radio or satellite. The protocol was designed by ARINC and deployed in 1978, using the Telex format.

Neville

#438 ·
JT,

Back when they first installed Sat on aircraft there were occasions when the
a/c changed direction they would loose the sat signals. It required more aerials around the hull to eliminate that problem. However there are still areas were
the good old HF is king. Arctic regions used to be a problem and also I would imagine that the dark continent has enough financial problems without having to install all the equipment. I am sure that those who are more up to date than me will give you a better answer. AC do have on board systems - used to be called ACARS - which gave continuous readouts of on board systems, so their ops could monitor everything. Nothing like a good bit of paper and HF comms though.

Quote from the WWW -ACARS an acronym for aircraft communications addressing and reporting system) is a digital datalink system for transmission of short messages between aircraft and ground stations via airband radio or satellite. The protocol was designed by ARINC and deployed in 1978, using the Telex format.

Neville
The 'dark continent'?

#443 ·
Neville,

Thanks for your honesty (unlike your oppo who seems to think it is Antarctica). It was indeed terminology in the past when ironically, we knew a great deal about that Continent.

I just wonder if your comment is consistent with a position as 'Super Moderator', whatever that is? Just a thought and thanks for the put down. It must be hard for you living in the 21st Century but I'm happy to help you if you want.

73s,

Barry

#448 ·
2182 kHz Valentia and Malin Head 2182 khz Nav Wngs 1677

Greetings and a Happy New Year,

Attached is a recording of, 2182 khz and 1677 khz. Starts with
Valentia Radio EJK, then Malin Head Radio EJM, then tuned down
to 1677 khz for the Navigational Warning broadcast.

I retired about 4 months later, in March 2009.

Kind regards
Finbar EJM retired EI0CF

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.