Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - British Trent ... near disaster
View Single Post
Old 6th August 2015, 20:21
Active: 1971 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkie59 View Post
I had the pleasure of being 4/E on the Aviator doing that run. Joined in Bremerhaven and called into Durban on the way around to the Gulf. Loaded a very suspect cargo of something! Steamed 24 hours into the Indian Ocean and discharged it over the side. We had to replace the seals of the pump we used as what ever it was corroded them. Started spiking the "Big Ones" about April time. I paid off at RAK covered from head to foot with Prickly Heat. Not fun.
Small world. I also joined the Aviator, as 3rd Mate, in Bremerhaven at the same time (1/4/75). We slow steamed for most of the trip to Capetown, having to time arrival to uplift a new circ. pump motor that was being delivered there by the Southampton Castle on 30/4/75. We then called in to Durban to load some 'Spent Caustic' from Durban refinery for disposal overside once clear of the coast. They'd never get away with that nowadays! I then left once we reached RAK on 24/5/75.
The OM and CO also joined at Bremerhaven and were fresh from being on the British Ambassador when it sank in the far east. As 3rd Mate I was a captive audience on the bridge every night and the OM would come up regularly, after a few G&Ts, and bore me to death with the story of its demise.....
I have this photo of myself on the bridge along with the RO and CO:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Br Aviator 1975002.jpg (116.0 KB, 157 views)