Ships Nostalgia banner

Mv Mystic

37K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  Bob G 
#1 · (Edited)
I did a coastal trip on the Mystic as an EDH from London to Glasgow.
The voyage record was:
Sailed from London 16 February 1960
Arrived Liverpool 18 " "
Left Liverpool 22 " "
Arrived Stanlow 22 " "
Left Stanlow 24 " "
Arrived Liverpool 25 " "
Left Liverpool 1st March "
Arrived Glasgow 2nd " "

I signed off on the same day that we arrived in Glasgow and due to a meeting with a girl ( who is now my wife ) prior to the start of this trip, this was my last trip in the M.N.
I believe that the Mystic was chartered to Shaw Savill from Johnson Charter Line.
She was registered in 1949 and had a gross tonnage of 6,656. She was purchased by Monrovian owners in 1975 and then sold on to Panamanian interests in1979. Thereafter she was sold for disposal in 1982

See less See more
#2 ·
Great to read your comments. I joined the MV Mystic in 1969 employed by Furness Withy with first trip as J.Eng for deep sea trip to NZ and Im sure as you say chartered to Shaw Saville when we did coastal trips there. I always remember how spotless the engine rooms were with me skidding around in boots and shorts in 110 F like the proverbial B.A.F operating all manual valves and controls especially during manoeuvres. No surprise being sold to Monrovia !!! I have one small photo of this ship which reproduces quite well and can download if interested...Capt Glass

#3 ·
G Day Cpt Glass.
Interesting reading your account of sailing on M V Mystic. I also sailed as a Jnr Eng on her ,I did two trips on her finally discharging in Hull on the 15th Oct 1968.As you would have sailed after me your comments on the cleanliness of the engine room is appreciated as a lot of effort was always applied to this chore. I wonder if the scavenge drain tins all painted in Furness colors were still hanging on the vent cocks.these wereof course one of my contriutions.
I first jioned her in Nov 1967 at Cardiff and sailed to Oz via Las Palmas for bunkers. Next stop Freemantle then around the coast to Adelaide where the crew decided to has a fire in their accomodation. We stayed in Adelaide for about 3 Weeks whilst the aft accom was refurbished. Then on to Melbourne, Sydney, where I meet my wife of 39 years.Dock strike in Sydney for 6 weeks.We came back with a full cargo of wool for discharge around the meddy,that was fun. The story is long and I wont bore you further. I sailed again and much to my horror instead of sailing to Oz as we were told we ended up in NZ.nothing wrong with NZ but I had a girl in Sydney.I also sailed on Edenmore, Norman Prince,English Prince,Scottish Prince prior to jioning the mighty Mystake. Any one who sailed on any of these ships around this period would like to hear from you. Geoff Allen now in Oz.

#4 ·
Many thanks for your reply ,I only have one picture of the Mystic and it is a water color by a N Z artist. If you would be kind enough to post your photo on the net that would be great. I did see here again I think around 1976 at Number 2 Darling Harbour Sydney and she was named "Sea Swallow" and mystic could still be seen painted out.Fond memorys
Regards Geoff Allen.

#5 ·
I was delighted to see the Mystic mentioned when I visited the site.
I was on her throught 1962 in my last year as a deck Apprentice.The others were Brian Kelly,Peter Kerpener,Jeremy Stanford,Bob Gardiner.
Master Capt R Proctor,Mate Ted Hoyle.2nd Mate Rog Blackburn,£rd Mate ? 4th Mate Brian Maflin.
C/E D.Graham Eng Cadets Donnie McLeod? Mel Griffiths.
The Mystic was a particularly happy ship.She had been trading to NZ before I joined but switched to Aussie when I was on her.We had a great football team run by Ron the r/o and were well known on the coast as a "Party Ship"
I regret that I didn't get back to her during the rest of my time with Furness,but a friend of mine Terry Griffiths was on her in about 1964.
look forward to your comments,
Bob Gray

#31 ·
I was delighted to see the Mystic mentioned when I visited the site.
I was on her throught 1962 in my last year as a deck Apprentice.The others were Brian Kelly,Peter Kerpener,Jeremy Stanford,Bob Gardiner.
Master Capt R Proctor,Mate Ted Hoyle.2nd Mate Rog Blackburn,£rd Mate ? 4th Mate Brian Maflin.
C/E D.Graham Eng Cadets Donnie McLeod? Mel Griffiths.
The Mystic was a particularly happy ship.She had been trading to NZ before I joined but switched to Aussie when I was on her.We had a great football team run by Ron the r/o and were well known on the coast as a "Party Ship"
I regret that I didn't get back to her during the rest of my time with Furness,but a friend of mine Terry Griffiths was on her in about 1964.
look forward to your comments,

Bob Gray
Hi Bob. I'm not sure if you have seen my post, but I have just uploaded a film of our trip which might amuse you. It is actually a composite of two trips that I made with her.
If you're interested, it's on Youtube, under the name of Geoff Cushnet!
I would love to hear your views.

#6 ·
MV Mystic

It was interesting reading the accounts submitted by the guys who had sailed in the mystic especially the ones from Geoff Allen because I also sailed on that voyage as third engineer and so we shared the 12/4 watch.
It was a fairly eventful trip due not least to the fact that we had a horse as deck cargo from Liverpool to Wellington, he was if I remeber correctly " Gee Lee Hanover 3rd".Four days before arriving in wellington we ran into some nasty weather and took some large waves over the side which badlly damaged the horse box requiring emergency tarps tobe rigged and deck cadets to sit in the box to calm the horse. During the coastal voyage around New Zealand which took in Wellington, (twice) New Plymouth, Nelson, Lyttleton, Napier, Aukland and Dunedin and took six weeks we learned that that S.S. Gothic which had sailed for home had experienced a fatal fire I believe in the bridge area.When she returned to port for emergency repairs we met up with her and supplied spare charts for her voyage home, also relaying some of her radio messages during the Pacific crossing since her radio equipment had been significantly damaged.
I did only one trip in Mystic, having previously sailed in mv Sycamore (9trips), mv Rowanmore (6trips), mv Newfoundland (14 trips). After leaving Mystic I took 3 months leave before joining mv Manchester Freighter which was being fully taken over from Cairn line. We did a voyage to Montreal and back and were due to go to Hamilton next. However twelve hours before we were due to sail from Manchester, mv Manchester Courage ploughed through the lock gates at Irlam closing the ship canal for five weeks. ( I cannot remember clearly whether this was before or after the Montereal trip), the net result being that the Hamilton trip was cancelled and the Manchester Liners charter ended.
The ship was renamed "Lombardy" placed in the Royal Mail Lines part of Furness Withy and went on charter to a Begian company. I did two further voyaes in her before coming ashore, the first was to Miami, Vera Cruz, Tampico,Corpus Christi, Houston, New Orleans.and Pensacola. My final voyage was to the North East coast of South America returning with a full cargo of sulphur from Beaumont Texas.

Best regards to all
Peter Woodall

#10 ·
manchester freighter.

eighter
It was interesting reading the accounts submitted by the guys who had sailed in the mystic especially the ones from Geoff Allen because I also sailed on that voyage as third engineer and so we shared the 12/4 watch.
It was a fairly eventful trip due not least to the fact that we had a horse as deck cargo from Liverpool to Wellington, he was if I remeber correctly " Gee Lee Hanover 3rd".Four days before arriving in wellington we ran into some nasty weather and took some large waves over the side which badlly damaged the horse box requiring emergency tarps tobe rigged and deck cadets to sit in the box to calm the horse. During the coastal voyage around New Zealand which took in Wellington, (twice) New Plymouth, Nelson, Lyttleton, Napier, Aukland and Dunedin and took six weeks we learned that that S.S. Gothic which had sailed for home had experienced a fatal fire I believe in the bridge area.When she returned to port for emergency repairs we met up with her and supplied spare charts for her voyage home, also relaying some of her radio messages during the Pacific crossing since her radio equipment had been significantly damaged.
I did only one trip in Mystic, having previously sailed in mv Sycamore (9trips), mv Rowanmore (6trips), mv Newfoundland (14 trips). After leaving Mystic I took 3 months leave before joining mv Manchester Freighter which was being fully taken over from Cairn line. We did a voyage to Montreal and back and were due to go to Hamilton next. However twelve hours before we were due to sail from Manchester, mv Manchester Courage ploughed through the lock gates at Irlam closing the ship canal for five weeks. ( I cannot remember clearly whether this was before or after the Montereal trip), the net result being that the Hamilton trip was cancelled and the Manchester Liners charter ended.
The ship was renamed "Lombardy" placed in the Royal Mail Lines part of Furness Withy and went on charter to a Begian company. I did two further voyaes in her before coming ashore, the first was to Miami, Vera Cruz, Tampico,Corpus Christi, Houston, New Orleans.and Pensacola. My final voyage was to the North East coast of South America returning with a full cargo of sulphur from Beaumont Texas.

Best regards to all
Peter Woodall

#7 ·
leckepeter

nice to hear from lads that sailed on the mystic[mistake].i sailed on her on my first trip to sea.i was 2nd electrician.i did two trips on her,one to nz and one to aussie and nz.great job considering what people pay to go to these places today.not sure who was on what voyage but people i remember are;-

captain glyn roberts from north wales plus wife
electrician bill evans from chirk in wales
2nd eng ian from aberdeen
turd eng pete woodhall
j/eng geoff
j/eng pownhal
d/cdt steve lunn[i think he was connected to lunn poly travel]
c/stwd a big guy called pashby[great man]
r/o nigel alexander tompson hardy.a great guy who did a great job
making it possible to keep in touch with people back home with r/t
calls.[thanks] nigel was known to be living in OTAKI in nz.

#8 ·
nice to hear from lads that sailed on the mystic[mistake].i sailed on her on my first trip to sea.i was 2nd electrician.i did two trips on her,one to nz and one to aussie and nz.great job considering what people pay to go to these places today.not sure who was on what voyage but people i remember are;-

captain glyn roberts from north wales plus wife
electrician bill evans from chirk in wales
2nd eng ian from aberdeen
turd eng pete woodhall
j/eng geoff
j/eng pownhal
d/cdt steve lunn[i think he was connected to lunn poly travel]
c/stwd a big guy called pashby[great man]
r/o nigel alexander tompson hardy.a great guy who did a great job
making it possible to keep in touch with people back home with r/t
calls.[thanks] nigel was known to be living in OTAKI in nz.
I sailed on the Mystic from London in 1966 to OZ as 2nd Elect. Ron Mason was 1st Elect. he is now married to my sister.
Steve Lunn now lives in Auckland I see him when I go over for the Bledisloe Rugby Cup, Mike Pownall was from Manchester, Dave mcNaught was 3rd and I think a little Geordie Chief, cant remeber his name, his wifes name was "Virgie", not sure what that was short for, I did one trip with Bill (Educated) Evans, I left the ship in 1968 got promoted to PSNC Kenuta, but nothing was as good as the Mystic great Ship great Times. I have been living in Sydney since 1972, thanks to the Mystic, cheers Allen Stutchbury

#12 ·
Mv Cairnforth / Manchester Freighter/Lombardy

i joined the manchester freighter when we took over from cairn line. a third eng. joined called peter lived in eccles would that have been you? charlie wordingham was ch. eng.
Hi Jim
Yes I am the the Peter who joined the Manchester Freighter at Manchester at the time of the integration of Cairn Line into Furness Withy. I subsequently completed three trips in her before coming ashore to join the engineering department of Express Dairyand stayed with them until I retired in 2000.I now live in East Yorkshire close to Beverley.

#13 · (Edited)
MV Mystic 1958 to 1975

I was on this ship for about 8 months and on her last journey, we sailed her to Hong kong. I seem to remember that she was going to be broken up. I had a wonderful time on that ship and in that time we literally sailed around the world. Mostly we were hired by Cuba to carry sugar and return with a general cargo.

I was 2nd electrician and as I was only 21, I had to wait for promotion from my next ship which was an oil tanker with PSNC.

I've since read that the ship was sold and renamed.

I also have a full size photo takenof her from an plane over the English Channel

#14 ·
MV Mystic final voyage

Hi, I was also on the last voyage of the Mystic and seem to remember a young officer enjoying a few nights ashore with the lads.

I was the 16 years old galley boy on my first trip after completing my training at N.S.T.S at Gravesend and as best as I can recall the voyage went something like this;

October to March/April 1974 - 1975
Flew out from Speke airport in Liverpool to join the ship in Gothenburg

Loaded with huge rolls of paper and sailed to Cadiz

Loaded with crates of aluminium pipes and sailed to Cuba

Unloaded at various ports around Cuba including Havana, Puerto Isabela and Casilda where we played a footie match against the crew of a Russian tanker.

Loaded with unrefined sugar at Cienfuegas (I can still smell it after 40 years)

Sailed through Panama, across the Pacific to Chiba, Japan.

Unloaded

As far as I can remember the ship was then sold to a company in Hong Kong to be converted into a floating resaurant so after sailing there we disembarked and flew home to Heathrow via Bangkok, Bombay, Tehran and Zurich

Quite an experience for a youngster on my first trip

Like most people I'm good with faces but not with names but some names I do recall are my cabin mate George Thomas, cook Kenneth McClelland, bosun Bob Welch and steward Hughie something (large Scotsman with curly hair who looked out for me ) and a Somali greaser Lamb Chop.

I would love to see the pic of the ship and any other names you can recall.

#40 ·
MV Mystic final voyage

Hi, I was also on the last voyage of the Mystic and seem to remember a young officer enjoying a few nights ashore with the lads.

I was the 16 years old galley boy on my first trip after completing my training at N.S.T.S at Gravesend and as best as I can recall the voyage went something like this;

October to March/April 1974 - 1975
Flew out from Speke airport in Liverpool to join the ship in Gothenburg

Loaded with huge rolls of paper and sailed to Cadiz

Loaded with crates of aluminium pipes and sailed to Cuba

Unloaded at various ports around Cuba including Havana, Puerto Isabela and Casilda where we played a footie match against the crew of a Russian tanker.

Loaded with unrefined sugar at Cienfuegas (I can still smell it after 40 years)

Sailed through Panama, across the Pacific to Chiba, Japan.

Unloaded

As far as I can remember the ship was then sold to a company in Hong Kong to be converted into a floating resaurant so after sailing there we disembarked and flew home to Heathrow via Bangkok, Bombay, Tehran and Zurich

Quite an experience for a youngster on my first trip

Like most people I'm good with faces but not with names but some names I do recall are my cabin mate George Thomas, cook Kenneth McClelland, bosun Bob Welch and steward Hughie something (large Scotsman with curly hair who looked out for me ) and a Somali greaser Lamb Chop.

I would love to see the pic of the ship and any other names you can recall.
I was on that voyage I was second electrician. I might have a picture of you

#23 ·
Thanks for the photo I was second trip E.D.H. in her in 1961 on the Kiwi run spent a month in Auckland we had to scrape all the paint off the fore part of the bridge outward bound I got sun stroke and fainted in the mess room just before going on the 12 to 4 first wheel I bet my watch mates where well pleased with me down to 2 men regards to all hands .

#19 ·
I did a coastal trip on the Mystic as an EDH from London to Glasgow.
The voyage record was:
Sailed from London 16 February 1960
Arrived Liverpool 18 " "
Left Liverpool 22 " "
Arrived Stanlow 22 " "
Left Stanlow 24 " "

Arrived Liverpool 25 " "
Left Liverpool 1st March "
Arrived Glasgow 2nd " "

I signed off on the same day that we arrived in Glasgow and due to a meeting with a girl ( who is now my wife ) prior to the start of this trip, this was my last trip in the M.N.
I believe that the Mystic was chartered to Shaw Savill from Johnson Charter Line.
She was registered in 1949 and had a gross tonnage of 6,656. She was purchased by Monrovian owners in 1975 and then sold on to Panamanian interests in1979. Thereafter she was sold for disposal in 1982

I wonder why the Mystic went to Stanlow, which is solely an oil dock and has no facilities for handling general cargo.

#20 ·
one happy ship

I salied on her in 71 we went to south america i did a lot of welding on the ship running repairs on days for nearly 2 weeks one of the cleanest engine rooms i came across for an old girl my second trip to sea as junior but did i learn alot on the way back called into Dublin i stayed aboard 4th 3rd and other junior went ashore came back injuryed i had the whole trip to liverpool 6 on 6 off sole keeper i left furness and went to cp ships but such good memories loved her and the engineers really good blokes.(==D)

#21 ·
Mystic

The Mystic was built at Burntisland as were most of the Furness/Prince Line "Medy" boats. If you go to the Burntisland web site, there are several good pictures of her there - probably on completion and then going out for Sea Trials. There's also a nice shot of the Lancastrian Prince!

#22 ·
Hi Geoff Allen &Peter Woodall
My name is David Robinson and I was on the Mystic in1968 on the trip to Aussi.
I was the cadet engineer who played the guitar and had his21 birthday on board whilst going past Cape Town on the way to Aussi.and the fire in Adalide.
Please post a reply
Dave

#25 ·
Hello Bill captain Procter was a good captain and she was a good ship I remember she was hand steering all the way even though we had an iron mike under canvas lashed to the wing of the bridge I don't think he was in any hurry to have it fitted great days all long gone best regards Dave .

#26 ·
Capt.R.C. Proctor

Good Afternoon shipmates,
I haven't visited this site in years and while scrolling down the "Mystic"which I wrote about in June 2008,I read your comments on Capt.R C.Proctor OBE.He was a great ship Master,and looked after his apprentices very well.Did you know that he wrote a book entitled " Fifty years with the Prince Line"? published in 1967 by Arthur H Stockwell.I have a copy in my library and it makes nostalgic reading for someone of my age ,74,who went to sea in 1959 in time to see the end of an era before the BOX arrived to change it all.By 1969 I had passed Masters FG and opted to have a home life working on cross channel ferries.

#27 ·
Hello Capt.Bob. I have a copy of the said book. My interest in Captain Proctor goes back to my school days and the British Ship Adoption Society. Captain Proctor was with the Prince Line and he corresponded with our school. I can remember the Head Master reading his letters to us at assembly.
In the acknowledgements of the book it is the latter of the schools mentioned.
Regards Bill

#28 ·
Good morning to you all.
My son reminded me that I had cine film gathering dust, and I have at last had it 'digitised'. Wow, what happy memories.
I was on her as deck cadet in 1962 under Capt. Proctor, for 2 trips to OZ.
I am currently editing the film, and hope to post it on YouTube sometime fairly soon. I will post the link once it is done.
meanwhile, thank you all for your anecdotes, and stand by for questions if I need answers!
All the best, Bob Gardiner.

#30 ·
Hi Bob. I have just had a quick look at your Youtube posting I think your efforts are well worth while. Those of us who sailed to Australia in that era will remember it as it was, unlike now. The short clip of Captain Proctor was magical to me as he was the main correspondent when I was at school through The British Ship Adoption Society

#32 ·
A Mystic Meanderings

Good Evening Bob,
Hearing from you was a real "Blast from the Past."
I've had a quick look at the u tube film and will watch it completely as I only flicked through it.
One thing I didn't recall was calling at Colombo after leaving Aden.
I seem to remember you buying that cine camera with a Barclays Bank cheque from a Bum Boat man in Aden,which must have been a first.
I'll be in touch again and if you could contact me by e-mail we can catch up on 55years.
Bob ( Paddy) Gray

#33 ·
Good Evening Bob,
Hearing from you was a real "Blast from the Past."
I've had a quick look at the u tube film and will watch it completely as I only flicked through it.
One thing I didn't recall was calling at Colombo after leaving Aden.
I seem to remember you buying that cine camera with a Barclays Bank cheque from a Bum Boat man in Aden,which must have been a first.
I'll be in touch again and if you could contact me by e-mail we can catch up on 55years.
Bob ( Paddy) Gray
Hi Bob.
Thanks ever so for your message.
I don't have an e-mail address for you, but mine is crinkleman@yahoo.co.uk and it would be lovely to hear from you.
I'm not sure about your reference to Colombo though, unless I made an error in the commentary!! My journal shows that on my first trip we visited Trincomalee outbound, and Galle homewoard bound, but missed out Ceylon on my second.
I'ld be glad of your comments though, especially any mistakes!!
I do look forward to hearing from you.
All the best, Bob G(ardiner).http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

#34 ·
Very well done BobG/Geoff Cushnet, a wonderful film.
I was with Shaw Savill and Albion, just finishing my Apprenticeship as you were starting yours. I always regretted not taking more pictures of my life a sea, even though I did purchase a camera from the Aden bum boats. Now you have finally done it all for me. Many thanks.
My first trips in Alaric were almost exactly like yours in Mystic, same cargoes and virtually the same ports although Alaric and the other three 'A's always started and finished in London, and throughout my career I never did get to Adelaide.
Your film should remind all of our generation how extremely lucky we were to be at sea during the finest years of the British Merchant Navy. More time in port than actually at sea thanks to the cargo handling systems in use at the time, and nobody shooting or trying to torpedo us when we did leave port.
We were truly blessed, than you again for recording it for us.

#35 ·
Thank you for your post Alaric.
I'm so glad you enjoyed the film, which I enjoyed putting together.
Although I 'swallowed the anchor' in 1968 having got my master's, I have always looked back with great affection to my time at sea, both with Furness Withy and with the RFA.
I do so agree with you about our good fortune, and I still maintain that our generation have had the best of it really.
Did you have a look at 'Princes Playground', my other film?
It is an earlier attempt, before I began to get the hang of the editing software.
The films were gathering dust, forgotten, until a friend found them.

#36 ·
Another excellent film Bob, this time to ports, other than Valetta, that I have not visited. You seem to have enjoyed a varied career, did you continue filming when you served with the RFA?
I hold Shaw Savill in high regard and was very happy to sail with them, but in hindsight I wish that I had left and joined other lines to see more of our world.
Like you, I had a relatively short seagoing career leaving in 1968 so never got to sail as Chief.
Thanks for posting these really interesting, now historic films.

#37 ·
Thanks again Alaric, and I'm so glad that you enjoyed both films.
I still look back on my time with great fondness, and a sense of astonishment that I was actually PAID to visit all these places!
I discovered while being a Senior 2nd Mate in the RFA however, that I was not interested in becoming a 'Man Manger'. The idea of Chief or 'Old 'Man did not appeal.
I've had a whale of a time since though, so I have absolutely no regrets, (apart from not getting my Instructor's Rating as a Pilot, of course!) :sweat:
I still have footage to work on, some from a trip on Pacific Reliance to the States, and quite a bit of the RFA at work.
Unfortunately, the Pacific Reliance stuff is not as good as I had hoped, but may make something, and I need to find a 'thread' around which to 'hang' the RFA pictures.
I'm enjoying it, though, Very nostalgic.
I will let you know when anything new is posted.
All the best to you.
Bob G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.