Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - TEV Wahine plans
View Single Post
Old 1st September 2019, 11:57

The plans are held in the Wellington Archive under the care of Adrian Humphris, I catalogued them for him so there should a be excel doc with descriptions of the plans.
Keep in mind these are actual shipyard plans and require a certain amount of real knowledge of ship design, I have worked in naval architecture for several years so it was no big deal.
The rest of my collection is from the designer who was family friend, they do not have this.
My copies of the plans are all restored and cleaned up, the archive ones are not and I believe they charge about $50.00 per plan, keep in mind there are about 300 they hold, many not needed by most modelers but I have all of them plus some.
I can certainly advise on which ones do what, but it's a very full set, not much is missing.
The designer was William (Bill) Waters and he and his draftsman were responsible for many of the USSC ships of the 60's and 70's, sadly he passed away about 18 years ago.
My father built some of the models of new ships for USSC including the Maheno and Marama (now in Otago museum) so it's in my genetics, I was not born then.
As far as ships he designed it would be easier to list the ones he didn't he was the staff Naval Architect for USSC for a long time.
A funny story, I was going through some of the 90ish Maheno plans the other day and found some preliminary GA plans with a stamp" issued to H Dunn on 8 May 1967 for model making" signed W Waters, that was for his builders model. I showed him this as the model is still in Otago, I have photos of it along with the Kiamiro model he did.