Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - Gatx Oswego Uk
Thread: Gatx Oswego Uk
View Single Post
Old 5th July 2014, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Richardson View Post
Morning all ex GATX men Harry Richardson here sailed 75 to78 I recall JohnnyLockhart as I was junior with him on my first ship Carnegie along with Ned phayres who made me a large brass key as I had my 21st on board april76 .Went on to Cadogan.Castleton and then Cadwalader which we laid up at Itea if my memory is correct unfortunately then made redundant and moved onuiuntil leaving merchant navy in 82
Hi Harry. For a few seconds there your post had me thinking I was losing my mind.
I was on the Castleton, maybe 1978, when Ned [and his wife] were on board. The 4th Engineer, Davie Niven also had his wife [Lynn] with him and as her 21st was approaching, I suggested making a brass 21st key . Naturally, Ned got involved, manufacturing an engraving machine out of scrap laying around the ship. The key she was presented with on her birthday really was a work of art.
I think Neds wife was a motor mechanic to trade and seemed to like nothing more than crawling through the main boiler with him when it was opened for inspection.