10K views 60 replies 33 participants last post by  mrcanoehead 
#1 ·
I was showing off the site to someone the other day and he asked if
any members were still working at sea. I replied that this was a good
question and I will ask.

I guess I will start the ball rolling;

I am the ETO (Electro-technical Officer) on a DP2 vessel called the
'Global Explorer' (not part of Global Marine). We are working in the
Mexican oilfield in the Bay of Campeche.

I have tried to upload a couple of pictures of the ship as attachments,
but I am not sure if it worked. If not, I will try again later.

Anyone else still sailing?

malcolm

#7 ·
The only sailing I do now malcolm is as passenger on cruise ships or river boats . My sailing days go back to 1947-1954 where according to my Discharge Book I made 30 voyages on 20 various types of ships (Cargo /Tankers). But before I get much older I would like to make a trip to England from the states in a slow cargo ship as a passenger. I will have to start saving my pennies.
John

#8 ·
I seem to have been unsuccessful in attaching my photos. I tried to
upload into the gallery but that didn't work either. I guess there is
an issue with the satellite link I am using.

I will post some pics of the oilfield and ships when I get home next
month.

Thanks for the replies gents.

malcolm

#13 ·
Just noticed this thread from Daves recent reply, yes I'm still at sea (for my sins), and I see Dave has 'outed' me. LOL
Was away for just a month, on the UK coast, and got back last Tuesday. Was on the 'Border Thistle', as her 2nd Mate. I was offered a permanent job on the coast, but the moneys better Deepsea, so I turned it down, so I'm now back to being a 3rd Mate, the sods......
Off again in a few weeks for a 5 month trip Deep Sea. No idea where or when yet (nothing changes, eh?).

#15 ·
Looks like I won't get the chance to!
Was away all day and found an email in the Inbox, from the Office, they want to know if I can join the 'British Pioneer' in Long Beach, California on the 6th of September.
A VLCC (300,000dwt), so no doubt it'll be a slow steam back to the Gulf, ah the joys.
Intersting to note that she is one of the oldest ships in the fleet now (aside from a couple of Managed LNG Carriers), and yet she's still only 5 years old!

#17 · (Edited)
James_C said:
Looks like I won't get the chance to!
Was away all day and found an email in the Inbox, from the Office, they want to know if I can join the 'British Pioneer' in Long Beach, California on the 6th of September.
A VLCC (300,000dwt), so no doubt it'll be a slow steam back to the Gulf, ah the joys.
Intersting to note that she is one of the oldest ships in the fleet now (aside from a couple of Managed LNG Carriers), and yet she's still only 5 years old!
Jim, if you look remotely like me ie short, tubby and ugly I am prepared to sacrifice myself and stand in for you (*))

#19 ·
still here

Hi
Yes still at sea albeit I had a break of two years shore side
Presently 2nd Eng Deep pioneer just finished laying pipe in Newfoundland.
Bit upset at having to pay Canadian tax tho.
Next job could be in Egypt the Egyptians are also going to tax us.
Seems that the only country willing to turn a blind eye at foriegn workers is good old soft touch UK.

#20 ·
The total number of ships in the fleet, and those on order come to 70 ships, or thereabouts, with more orders in the Pipeline.
We've only had 3 new LNG tankers delivered, with another 4 on order, plus 4 LPG, and in the past 3 years or so, we've ordered 20 MCC (about 100k dwt), 6 Products (37k dwt), and another 12 product tankers (all 46k dwt), plus a load of Mediteranian coasters (10 of them), 3 UK coasters, and 4 MCCs for Alaska (US built and crewed).
There are persistent rumours that an order for some Chemical tankers is planned.
LNG/LPG ships are by far the best to sail on, the best accommodation, the best equipment, and the least work!

#23 ·
Jim,
I've been sent an invitation for lunch at the Greenwich RN College to celebrate the 90th Anniversary of BP Shipping. Don't know why I got it as I'm not registered as a pensioner with them & I only served 6 years, boy & man, on their vessels. I believe it will be quite a large gathering. I should think that the chances of meeting anyone that I sailed with will be pretty remote but you never know. I'll let you know how it goes.
Regards,
John.

#24 ·
James_C said:
The total number of ships in the fleet, and those on order come to 70 ships, or thereabouts, with more orders in the Pipeline.
We've only had 3 new LNG tankers delivered, with another 4 on order, plus 4 LPG, and in the past 3 years or so, we've ordered 20 MCC (about 100k dwt), 6 Products (37k dwt), and another 12 product tankers (all 46k dwt), plus a load of Mediteranian coasters (10 of them), 3 UK coasters, and 4 MCCs for Alaska (US built and crewed).
There are persistent rumours that an order for some Chemical tankers is planned.
LNG/LPG ships are by far the best to sail on, the best accommodation, the best equipment, and the least work!
Just read a couple of those US built jobs have cracked rudders?

#25 ·
John,
As far as I'm aware, the invitation for that 'do' is open to ALL ex BP men, regardless of when and how long they served.
I hope they haven't put on a free bar, if they have, well, there goes the fleets operating budget!
We know what Tankermen are like...

LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.