Ships Nostalgia - View Single Post - Merchant Navy College Greenhithe
View Single Post
Old 16th April 2012, 12:46

Merchant Navy College Greenhithe

I was quite surprised there is no thread on the Merchant Navy College Greenhithe in this section - so here is a starter!
I did pre-sea there in Sept 1978 as a Houlders Deck Cadet but it was mostly filled with Sparky cadets who spent 2 years at college before going near a ship.
Back for the old ONC phase 1 and phase 3 in '79 and '80 plus the usual EDH and Lifeboat exams. The 3 day firefighting was done down the road at the "Peanut factory" in Gravesend AKA the Sea School.
Happy times spent at Greenhithe include a lot of boatwork and dinghy sailing on the Thames, Rugby every weekend either for the college or Gravesend 5ths, Drinking in the village at "The Pier" and trips to "the muscle factory" AKA the girls PE college in Dartford. Once we carried the MN flag for remembrance service at St Pauls, Andy Cook,Mark Coomber and myself, we did it again at Tower Hill the following year.
The Padre was Bill Mcrae - recently retired from the Sailors Society in Southampton - I will never forget his Tannoy announcements every Sunday morning inviting any students in his heavy N.Ireland accent to attend "A short Interdenominational Church Service" in the staff room ending with a comment like "Including the rugby squad who came in at 0300hrs this morning" Jerry Ayling