Ships Nostalgia banner

Where did all the Shells go?

6K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  calvin 
#1 ·
When I was in the Naticina (1956) there was a shell in a glass enclosure in the saloon.

This shell was the actual "Naticina" Shell I was told.

Apparently all Shell tankers has such a shell, representing the ship's name, on board.

Does this tradition carry on in modern times?

What happened to all those Shells as the ships were broken up?

Apparently some were very rare & therefore valuable.

Also we used to get a free beer (oranjeboom) every sunday, courtesy of Q Wilhemina - does that still happen?

#2 ·
The last Shell tanker I visited had the shell after which it was named in a display cabinet in the Officer's saloon. That was about four years ago, so it was certainly still the case then and I would assume still the case now.

#4 ·
I believe when the ships are scrapped the shell is boxed up and sent back to Shell.

I was told that the rare expensive ones were replicas.

Of course there is the story that some wag removed a shell and replaced it with a Sugar Puff and no-one even noticed.

Oh I remember "Sunday Beers" except I thought it was from Queen Julianna.

Doubt if it goes on now with Shells strict alcohol policy.

#6 ·
Sunday noon drinks in the captains cabin before going to chow was a regular delight in Shell. All senior officers not on watch attended which included the R/O. I used to come off watch at noon and go straight to the old man's cabin for about an hour before enjoyingperhaps a nasi goreng or prawn cocktail & steak, then feet up before the next watch. Of course weekdays were very busy so no time for malarky like that. Happy memories of rose-coloured-slightly-boozy sundays on the company (Thumb)

#7 ·
I used to see the Shells in the Officers Bar on many of the ships in an illuminated case with a brass plate indicating what they where.

Mike you mentioned about drinking habits on the Shell vessels.
Nothing could be more strange than the sleeping habits of the Dutch Shell Captains.
They used to sleep in til 10am, have their drinks and lunch and then return to their beds from 2pm until 5pm.
Most of the older Masters seemed to develop this craze.
It became very difficult at times for us shipping agents to do the ships business particularly when you needed signature from the Ships Master.
I remember one occasion on the Kylix when the Chief Officer had to get the Master out of bed, it was argumentive. As soon as the business was done it was straight back into his bunk.

Regards
Keith

#8 ·
Wow, sleep in til 10am then back from 2 - 5pm, it must have seemed a very short trip to them.

I can see it happening whilst at sea but in port that really is unforgivable, when there's people like yourself as the shipping agent plus superintendents, customs & excise, new staff etc. all demanding his attention. Quite difficult to keep a lid on your frustration I would imagine your professionalism and diplomacy continues but through tightly gritted teeth?

Regards,

#13 ·
Shell in little cabinettes on bulk head elizabeths portrait on officers bulkheads in bars or saloon sundays were lunch tabnads for officers bar o
And captains cabin for heads of depts after capt inspection crew could have tots or can beer or pint i got mine while preparing captains tabnabs peddlar palmer used to have specail tabnab s for after sunday lunch replaced in his cabin i always was left a can beer off him little note dont disturb till three thirty prompt lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.