Ben Edra - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
21:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ben Edra

User Tag List

Old 2nd December 2012, 14:19
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1995

ben line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldsman View Post
Davie, that was more than i`d hoped for, the Ben Glas and the Ben Edra were the two i remember the most, the Edra just for its sheer size, as a boy i worked on the Quay during the summer holidays, the Edra was like a superstar trawler to a 13 yera old, i worked on a scottish boat called A Corenella and a North Shields boat called Frem. Happy days.
thanks again.
Paul.
my father sailed out of shields in 50s 60s ben gullvain ben vurie polar prince sabina kendale abergeldie william king remember the frem seine netter
Old 27th November 2014, 15:12
Department: Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7heroes View Post
Hallo there lads, just a quickie I think that the Ben Glas skipper might've been Bobbie Palmer aka 'black Bob'. Don't remember him personally coz I was too young but me dad was Peter Allen who was the Skipper lost on the Ben Asdale at Falmouth. Me dad was really good mates with Bob Palmer, Kit Jamieson Freddie Howes & loads more incl. Ernie Williams & Ernie Longhorn. They're the only one's I remember at the moment. Great to have a site like this to chew over old memories. Great stuff. Cheers Pete A
hi im a newbie on here . but my grandad was Bob Palmer and my dad Dave corbitt both sailed on the Ben boats so have set up account so dad can acssess site its great to here all the old names on here
Old 5th February 2017, 01:32
Madbob
Active: 1959 - 1972

My location
Richard Irvins. Just scanning the site and found photos of the newer boats and some very familiar skippers names but has anyone pictures of some of the oldies eg.Abergeldie, Polar Prince, Earl of Buchan and others. Having a bit of a reminisce here as my Dad and Grandad worked for Irvins.
Old 26th June 2017, 23:58
Department: Fishing
Active: 1973 - 1996

Hi all just discovered this site. Scrolling through and remember my dad and grandad mentioning some of the names and slippers. They both sailed out of shields in the 70s my dad starting on the ben vurie in 73 all the way tocollecting the edra from France anyone still on here that recognise my dads name wpuld like a chat please feel free
Old 24th August 2017, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldsman View Post
Does anyone have any information/photographs on the `ben boats` that fished and landed at North Shields in the 70`s, im particularly interested in the Ben Edra.
Cheers Paul.
I drew a very detailed model plans of Ben Idris which was published in Model Boats magazine
Old 20th August 2019, 03:49
Madbob
Active: 1959 - 1972

My location
Hi Shields Trawler Folk. My second try, anyone got photos of the Fish Quay with Trawlers alongside ? Remember back in the 50 's when you could walk the length of the quay on the boats without going ashore. Was the busiest place in my world at the time. My Grandad Robert and my Father Horace both worked for Irvins in the office until they passed away in 1960 and 1975 respectively. Irvins office, store,net floor and workshops were my second home until going deep sea in 60 after summer jobs on Drifters Lizzie West and Young Duke. Could not believe when I was over in Shields about 11 years ago that everything was derelict. So sad that people, jobs and buildings had all been let go.
Old 17th September 2019, 06:28
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2013

Ben Dearg

Ben Dearg and sister trawler Commiles came to Albany, Western Australia in 1949. Ben Dearg scuttled off Swarbrick’s Beach east of Albany in 1951 after the fishing venture failed