BISCOre Fleet numbers - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
03:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BISCOre Fleet numbers

User Tag List

Old 17th July 2014, 15:16

for this particular trip to bombay
if the mv redcar went on ballast all the way from uk to india or you have cargo to unload first near india
this was i thing the most far away destination for the biscore vsl
i known also that the mv lindisfarne went to chili from uk
Old 17th July 2014, 15:35
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

They will have gone empty in ballast....

Geoff
Old 17th July 2014, 17:23

What about the German/Liberian River class ore carriers,MERSEY,TEES,CLYDE ORE etc
Old 17th July 2014, 19:03

These were Navios Coporation vessels used by US Steel for their Cerro Bolivar movements from Puerto Ordaz..Venezuela. they were contracts of . Affreightment so we didn't load any.....other similar contracts were for Hamersley Australia,the Sydvaranger from Kirkenes and part of the Swedish Iron Ores moved by TGO...

Geoff
Old 18th July 2014, 12:16
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Geoff, one trip on the Arabella we discharged the ore at Irlham and then went to Birkenhead and loaded "scrap metal" and discharged in Spain (I think it was Bilbao) and then loaded in Almeria. Did any of the other ships do this?

We only did it the one time while I was onboard...

Cheers Frank
Old 18th July 2014, 14:29

we have 2 vsls Under biscore mv triculo and dalhanna who where not frequent visitor at sept iles
do you know why
specific trade!!
Old 18th July 2014, 16:00

Frank we were always looking for that sort of business but very rare..best was Land Rovers bottlescrewed to floor of Welsh Herald for CanadA..

TWIN. Dalhanna and Triculo....no reason why they did't do your ports...luck of the draw really.

Geoff
Old 20th July 2014, 17:26

Hi Geoff regarding carrying cargo other than ore. When sailing on the Lindisfarne we arrived at Bidston Docks with a load of ore from either Sept Isles or Port Cartier. After discharging ore for John Summers at Shotton we moved berth down to Reas Wharf and loaded Steel strip coils for Genoa. Then after a fairly hillarious attempt to unload using a combination of floating cranes and relatively small mobile cranes in Genoa we finally sailed to Port Ettienne to load for Middlesbrough. Pretty certain it was Eston on that occasion but did discharge ore at Cargo Fleet on the Lindisfarne. Possibly lightened at Eston first owing to draught.
A funny tale regarding Port Ettienne, a shore based friend at the time asked where Port Ettienne was, I replied saying it was on the coast of West Africa in a country called Mauritania. On hearing the word 'coast' he asked if it had a good beach. After a quick thought I replied 'oh yes, the worlds longest'. He replied how long, to which I said, oh about 3000 miles, it's called the Sahara desert!
Other exciting ports were Bone Algeria on the Dalhanna to Hartlepool, Oxelsund to Glasgow again on the Dalhanna, Pepel to Newport and multiple Pepel to Ijmuiden on the good old River Afton. Dalhanna and Afton were classed as 'sister' ships but Afton slightly larger and of course older.
Finally where the Norweigian vessels on the same time charters as the British flagged vessels
Old 20th July 2014, 20:41

Ah memories shieldrow.......

We did load coils in several vessels for Genoa and later for South Africa..
Some from Mersey ex Lancashire Steel (Irlam via Gladstone) and some from Immingham as part of a barter...... i watched, I think, the Finnamore Meadow loading some for Port Elizabeth and then she would load Hotazel Manganese for Tees.......about a year after I left BSC I was working in Immingham and was asked to go and have a look at a cargo just landed of 'South African' rod in coil............I looked and it still had the now somewhat rusty BSC labels on from three years before!

I went onboard Dalhanna in Narvik one Sunday, as Narvik was shut!,and asked a rough looking gentleman if 'the old man' was onboard...who is asking he said.....so I told him.......turned out he was the Master!.......and he came from Sedgefield. On board was a selection of wives there for 'summer cruising' but I had given them three Narviks and a Murmansk.............on the promise of a Monrovia or Port Etienne as next voyage they gave my wife and I a decent chicken dinner..........on return to Tees, on Livanita, I contacted the late David Strath of Huntings who said I was lucky to get more than scraps!

The various Norwegian vessels were taken on 10,12 or 15 year timecharters earlier, as the Souters/Vallum/larger Houlder vessels......we had a very good personal relationship with Uglands and the old Lisita went roughly about the same time as Favorita, Evita, Carmencita came into regular use, as did Nordland & Mesna. Unlike the British flagged ships we had no partnership deals with any of them.....some of these were built specifically for us and prior to Nationalisation in 1970 we had shares in some vessels or their management companies.......

geoff
Old 21st July 2014, 00:00
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Geoff, I was told that the Arabella was built to BISCO specifications, for the locks at Port Talbot, the biggest ship at that time (1959) and M Christian Stray were given a 15 year time charter. When did they enlarge the locks at Port Talbot.

At some loading ports there was normally other Ore ships at anchor and if some of these were British flagged BISCO ships we used to anchor and then jump the queue, I was told the reason was that we cost more and we needed to be on the move, was this so......

Cheers Frank
Old 21st July 2014, 08:30

I only joined BISCo in 1960 but I was then in Middlesbrough doing agency, so didn't have knowledge of who was specifically built for us,for Port Talbot, apart from the local ships,mainly Houlders....so you could be right. I don't remember which year the port changed but could no doubt Google it....

Taking ships out of turn was not common apart from Newport where three berths were being juggled...normally it was the grade of ore that was the decider not daily cost.....that affected more which ships to lay up!

Geoff
Old 23rd January 2017, 16:12
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - 1987

Sepetiba bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
I altered Galapagos to Glasgow twice.........

The fleet in 1976 when I handed over, loaded at the following.many of the former smaller ports had stopped being used..such as Bone /Annaba and La Goulette.

Russia.Murmansk.
Norway. Narvik
Sweden.Oxelosund and Lulea.
Spain.Sagunto and Malilla in North Africa.
Mauretania. Nouadhibou/Por Etiene.
Liberia. Monrovia.
South Africa. Port Elizabeth.Sepitiba Bay.
Russia. Poti in Black Sea.
Australia.Port Hedland.
Brazil. Vitoria/Tubarao.
Canada. Sept Isles and Port Cartier.

This is not the definative list but those ports which were in regular use.

Geoff
please could I point out that Sepetiba Bay is Brazil. We used to load there guide often on the Tyne Bridge. There an Tuburao.
Might you be thinking of Saldanha in South Africa.
Regards,
Peter
Old 23rd January 2017, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cheseldine View Post
please could I point out that Sepetiba Bay is Brazil. We used to load there guide often on the Tyne Bridge. There an Tuburao.
Might you be thinking of Saldanha in South Africa.
Regards,
Peter
Indeed 'tis Saldanha was the place I was thinking of.....Tubarao yes,that was the Rio Doce port for larger vessels after Vitoria
Thanks

geoff
Old 6th February 2017, 16:06

Quote:
Indeed 'tis Saldanha was the place I was thinking of.....Tubarao yes,that was the Rio Doce port for larger vessels after Vitoria
Thanks

geoff
Geoff, were you with British steel after Biscore? I ask as in the late 70s early eighties I had the pleasure?? Of sailing under the copulating worms on the funnel of the Atlantic Splendour. (Ex Muirfield, ex Tibetan) I remember well the agent in Hunterston ... Duncan.
Old 6th February 2017, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cheseldine View Post
Geoff, were you with British steel after Biscore? I ask as in the late 70s early eighties I had the pleasure?? Of sailing under the copulating worms on the funnel of the Atlantic Splendour. (Ex Muirfield, ex Tibetan) I remember well the agent in Hunterston ... Duncan.
I joined BISCore in Middlesbrough in 1960 after working for Constantines in their,then,HQ....In 1964 went to London and was involved with the small ship,i.e Port Talbot size,planning...then moved up to larger ships ( biggest at time was Welsh Herald at about 27500 dwt)...eventually we were absorbed into BSC and I was responsible,as Asst.Distribution Manager,for planning all future ship movements....at the time there were 72 ships.

We then started taking on some of the 50/70000 carriers (Panamax),usually on fairly limited time charter.The first of the larger ships (100,000 plus) was Trentwood with Gene Trefethen,sister vessel shortly after...then came the Tibetan which had problems from the start,renamed Muirfield with a presentation to the Committee of the golf course of that name...the ship was supposed to be same length as one of the holes...gave them a brilliant presentation ship model etc...we got a picture of the course and no invites!

Oddly enough I was offered a job in Glasgow Office but neither of us fancied there at the time.....so I left my job as Vessel Scheduling Manager at BSC to go back in Agency in Immingham/Grimsby etc..in 1976.

Bit longer answer than asked for Peter but might put my credentials down on ore carrier knowledge here!

geoff
Old 7th February 2017, 16:05

Geoff,
I don't think anyone coul be doubtful about your ore carrier credentials! As I said I had the pleasure (if that is the word) of sailing on the Tibetan when she was the Atlantic Splendour with the copulating worms on the funnel. She was owned by C.Y.Tung at the time and I did four stints on her as chief engineer. Loading ports of Tubarao, Sepitiba and Seven Islands.
Severn Islands in mid-winter was a nightmare when we lost all power whilst alongside and had to be towed half-laden to Halifax for repairs.
When Furness Withy were taken over by C.Y.Tung, management passed to Furness and she claimed two of my fingers in the middle of the Indian Ocean when on route with iron ore for Japan where she was scrapped in, I think, 1982.
Peter.
Old 7th February 2017, 16:58

Ouch!

geoff
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:20

Quote:
I altered Galapagos to Glasgow twice.........

The fleet in 1976 when I handed over, loaded at the following.many of the former smaller ports had stopped being used..such as Bone /Annaba and La Goulette.

Russia.Murmansk.
Norway. Narvik
Sweden.Oxelosund and Lulea.
Spain.Sagunto and Malilla in North Africa.
Mauretania. Nouadhibou/Por Etiene.
Liberia. Monrovia.
South Africa. Port Elizabeth.Sepitiba Bay.
Russia. Poti in Black Sea.
Australia.Port Hedland.
Brazil. Vitoria/Tubarao.
Canada. Sept Isles and Port Cartier.

This is not the definative list but those ports which were in regular use.

Geoff
Mo-I- Rana on Ormsary
Old 29th October 2019, 20:01

was on longstone nouadhibou to cardiff then sparrow point baltimore load steel coils for middlesborough then we did the ore ports of mossemedes sept isles narvik murmansk lulea kirkiness then joined dunstanburgh castle mizushima to port headland huasco de chile o mizushima then port dampier to rotterdam then pepel next joined lindisfarne and did all ore ports round atlantic then cheviot all round atlantic but did a run from berkenhead to rio with stell slabs these were all w,a,souter ships