Scrubbers - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
12:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Scrubbers

User Tag List

Old 3rd March 2019, 03:38

spongebob - good comment, some of the black gang needed cleaning up so it was rather difficult at times to differentiate between the sexes.
Old 3rd March 2019, 03:49

Seaman 38 do I detect a note of resentment or jealousy in your posting? it was a well known fact that the uniformed gentlemen who manned the conference lines ships to OZ and NZ were in fact the creme de la creme of the MN which was well known by the young ladies who at the slightest hint of a party rushed eagerly to board our vessels for for entertainment before their numbers be restricted by the old man.
Old 3rd March 2019, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonarfur View Post
Seaman 38 do I detect a note of resentment or jealousy in your posting?
Nay Lad! not a bit of it! Served my time with a Liner company when the moon was young! Went to sea to see the world and decided that Liner companies regular bus service runs were not for me and would not give me that opportunity, but tramping did. There were good tramps and bad tramps and you could move from one to the other and not even leave the ship, just a change of Master would do it. On the whole I must have been lucky, I sailed mostly on the good, with good Masters, good shipmates, good crews, good food and accommodation, the war built ones left a bit to be desired in the latter respect, but that was only to be expected. Saw countries and ports I never would have on a liner trade, enjoyed the uncertainty of it, but it's horses for courses and some preferred to know how their lives were set out in the immediate future. Oh! and we did wear uniforms whilst aboard, (mostly Hong Kong tailored Khakis) but not at the parties, but on one ship the Master insisted on whites entering and leaving port...………………….Happy Days
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:24
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternchallis View Post
We also added ' in the Officers Cocktail lounge or Saloon'.
Now you have to have been on the New Zealand or Australian coast in the liner trades on a smart Refrigerated cargo ship, for that to work. A large clean Orange Funnel with a big Bleu Star on both sides, well lit up at night.......
Yep, providing you had one, or access to it.
Otherwise, cabin party................
Luv the mention of Port Chalmers and Timaru - happy days.

Submarine in Barry ? when would that have been? My home town.

The trouble with lighting up our funnel was that it also showed up the black exhaust generated by the Brush diesels driving the frig machinery!
The scrubbers mentioned in the OP would have been a big help.

Last edited by norm.h; 3rd March 2019 at 12:09..
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:29
Active: 1973 - 1983

Norm.h your query about a submarine in Barry, was Summer 1978, perhaps june-August, I would have to look at my discharge book on that one.
I had just done a voyage and we came into Barry to lie up until a cargo was found, along with 2 other BSL ships. I do remember us going ashore night before I was to travel home and had spent the night drinking draught cider.
That seemed a long train journey home to Hull, no restaurant car or drinks service, hot as heck, I think I felt every gap in the lines, was spitting feathers by the time I got to Hull. Of course then bottled water was not part of your attire as it seems to be now.
Happy days.
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:40

Cheers......
By 1978 I'd left Barry 9 years, so wouldn't have been aware.
I do remember 2 subs came in during my apprenticeship [early 50s] which we looked over, but weren't treated to any drinks.
I've seen pics on some Barry web sites of BS ships laid up in Barry.
I was on Australia Star [1] - rose to the dizzy heights of 2nd Freezer.

Sorry ladies & gents - way of topic.

Last edited by norm.h; 4th March 2019 at 12:10.. Reason: Included apology
Old 29th September 2019, 18:28

Is there any truth in this?
Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-a9123181.html

"Global shipping companies have spent millions rigging vessels with “cheat devices” that circumvent new environmental legislation by dumping pollution into the sea instead of the air, The Independent can reveal.

More than £9.7m has been spent on the devices, known as open-loop scrubbers, which extract sulphur from the exhaust fumes of ships that run on heavy fuel oil.

This means the vessels meet standards demanded by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) that kick in on 1 January.

However, the sulphur emitted by the ships is simply re-routed from the exhaust and expelled into the water around the ships, which not only greatly increases the volume of pollutants being pumped into the sea, but also increases carbon dioxide emissions.

The change could have a devastating effect on wildlife in British waters and around the world, experts have warned."
Old 29th September 2019, 18:49
Varley Varley is online now   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Scrubbers are presently legitimate device for reducing atmospheric pollution both 'open loop' (ie sea water in, spray, discharge overboard like IG Scrubbers) and 'closed loop' (the uptake gas washings are is treated and recirculated).

Some jurisdictions have banned operation of open loop scrubbers (PRC I think being one).

Last edited by Varley; 29th September 2019 at 20:28..
Old 29th September 2019, 19:53

In the present political climate can it really be proper to continue any discussion as to scrubbers in the present august and immaculate company?
Old 29th September 2019, 20:27
Varley Varley is online now   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Don't tell me. Another special interest party lobbying in the Brexit melee? Where do they stand? (Perhaps that should be "What position have they adopted?").
Old 29th September 2019, 22:56

most of the scrubbers I came across were in Auckland or Wellington and they had very little or nothing to do with the black gang
Old 30th September 2019, 00:40

If the Greens had their way we would be living in caves eating nuts and berries.
Everything in modern life produces some sort of pollution somewhere, you are not going tomget rid of it.
So the black satanic mills have gone from our landscape, but they are still producing pollution in another part of the world where life is cheap.

Ask a Green about all the pollution that is caused to ship a bike made in China to the UK instead of it being made in Nottingham as they used to be.
These electric car batteries are not that green by the time you have dug the fancy metals out of the ground and shipped them around the world a few times before they reach the car buyer.
Then a Green wants a new house to live in, so they cut trees down and destroy farmland so he can.
And which western country is the largest polluter, the US.
Old 15th October 2019, 22:32

My location
With apologies to Alaric, I know nothing about Co2 scrubbers ,But as a long serving NZS . man, a little of the other kind ?but a little story comes to mind , nothing to do with Co2. nor scrubbers .third day discharging , dock Sud Buenos Aires, after a party the night before, one of the Cadets came into the bar at midday to inform Us that there was to be a big party at the home of one of the nurses from the British Hospital and she was inviting six or eight officers to attend , The girls would meet Us at the station, as we had to go by train to the house. GREAT!! SO at 8 o clock ,there We were ,clea n shirts , and carrying a couple of cases of Tenants!! The train journey took over two hours, deep into "The Campo"of Buenos Aires Province then the train stopped in the middle of nowhere,The girls made Us get off , and the train left Us on a wooden walkway,total blackness , except the stars,Then boom,! all the lights came on which showed a road with coloured lights leading up to "THE HOUSE".Parked outside the house were a lot of fancy cars AND Sulkies, elegant little traps and two or three horses in a paddock," What the Frig are We doing here" We all said , Well We didn·T say it Then,I think We were all in shock, But proceeded into "THE GARDEN" ............ about 70 people, tables of food roast pig, roast lamb and beef .Waiters with cummerbunds,Our tennants disappeared somewhere, but the truth is We were treated Royally with much respect,at Midnight the music started a mixture of Argentine folk music and rock and roll. and We danced and drank,to await the first train back to The City about 5am but about 2in the morning , and whilst I could speak clearly ,I decided that I must thank The Hostess The party girl" for Her generosity,I asked where Her parents were , to thank Them too. AND I PROMISE, THIS is what She SAID "Daddy is in a conference in London , and Mummys gone Shopping in Bond Street!!!............GOBSPACKED!!..........It turned out on the way back the girls told Us that she was an excellent student nurse , Her Father was South American general manager of shell oil.But the Land was owned by The Mother.But We had a good time. Apologies again Alaric for coming "OFF THEAD!
Old 15th October 2019, 22:48
Active: 1957 - 1968

My location
No need to apologise Keith, with the title I gave this thread I didn't expect all replies to be confined exclusively to cleaning up flue gas!
But you have strayed way off course, I don't see any link to scrubbers of any type, but a memorable party it seems.
Old 15th October 2019, 23:03

Good one Kiethmar, I like it. Anybody sailing on a reefer always got to civilised ports for a reasonable time and had some good parties with the likes of the local Nurses Home or Telephone Switchboard girls.
These tanker, bulker and box boat people have never lived. As soon as the phone was connected up in NZ, it would be ringing asking if there was a party that night " Party on a Star boat?" was the cry, and I am sure the same with Port line, P&O and NZS and other Reefers.
The scrubbers would arrive 1st night and be given short shrift.
The OM on one ship asked the agent in Malta to supply/ invite girls from the office to a party/ BBQ on the boat deck during the summer whilst we were Mediteranean moored. What a night that was. All nice girls and some were even good girls.