Shoreham - Ships Nostalgia
12:01

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Shoreham

User Tag List

Old 8th October 2019, 17:44

Shoreham

Hello each - I fully realise that this is an extremely long shot but my query is something that has puzzled me for decades. When a small lad and holidaying locally (in Derek Avenue if anyone knows it) I recall a decrepit vessel moored at the eastern end of the harbour on the seaward side; I assume that she was a coaster (and not a dredger) and she appeared to have been there for some time. I stayed there for a fortnight and so did she! The year would be in the very early fifties and Brighton, Hove & District were still running ex-Tilling AECs (I'm interested in all historic transport). Ny ideas, please?

Best wishes to all,
Bill
Old 8th October 2019, 21:48

If you haven't done so already why not drop a line to Shoreham harbour master, also I find that local University history departments are usually helpful, or local libraries if they haven't disappeared. Was in and out of Shoreham quite a few times in the 50's, but on entering and leaving you're always busy no matter what station you're on, so never noticed any long term residents especially if they were up the creek side of Shoreham
Old 10th October 2019, 23:04

Shoreham

Many thanks, seaman 38; I'll do as you suggest.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 18th October 2019, 00:42
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1969

Go to the "CEGB Steam Colliers" thread and then down to entry #22 by me then #23 by "Granty" - he sounds a likely candidate to know all about the Shoreham harbour.
Old 18th October 2019, 07:45

Good morning Majoco
I was born in 1946 and can’t remember anything about the Canal until I was 10 or so and now 73 no way can I remember anything and I don’t know anyone that is alive that will know
Cheers
Granty
Old 18th October 2019, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by granty View Post
Good morning Majoco
I was born in 1946 and canít remember anything about the Canal until I was 10 or so and now 73 no way can I remember anything and I donít know anyone that is alive that will know
Cheers
Granty
Many on here are a lot older than 73 and you would be surprised at what we can remember
Old 18th October 2019, 10:44

Lucky you