WAHINE and RANGATIRA - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
21:12

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

WAHINE and RANGATIRA

User Tag List

Old 11th September 2005, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Rogers
Would be interesting to know what ultimately happened to the Rangatira, she certainly disappeared into the shadows after the Falklands War, no doubt been scrapped many years ago now!!.
Fairly sure I saw 'Rangatira' at Sullom Voe in the Shetlands in 1979. She was being used for accommodation for the construction workers (I think). There was certainly a Union Co. ferry there - I remember doing a double take when I saw her.

John T.
Old 11th September 2005, 23:12

That was indeed her.She was laid up in Glasgow prior to that (pic on the head of this Forum).Had quite an interesting career what with the Falklands as well.
Old 11th September 2005, 23:30

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom
Fairly sure I saw 'Rangatira' at Sullom Voe in the Shetlands in 1979. She was being used for accommodation for the construction workers (I think). There was certainly a Union Co. ferry there - I remember doing a double take when I saw her.

John T.
See post #7 on page 1 John, the link will give you an overview of her career.
Old 11th September 2005, 23:48

Sad to relate she was rcenly scrapped somewhere in the Adriatic.
I hve seen the pics . Like the Canberra it's really sad.

Martin
Old 12th September 2005, 10:58

My location
Ngaio,

That was certainly a morbid night on the evening of 28th November 1979. It was between 20-2100 hrs when all hope of the Air New Zealand DC10 and the 257 people onboard making it back had diminished.
Old 7th February 2006, 17:12
Entusiasta

Hello to all.

As a interesting note, there is still one survivor of the former Union Steamship, the WANAKA, perhaps one of the last (if not the last) still sailing.
Her last registered name was DUCHESS M, and she sails on as a Med ferry.

According to the Marlines website, she is still being used to connect Bari to Duress.

The link:
http://www.faktaomfartyg.com/wanaka_1970.htm

On the WAHINE there is this very informative webpage:
http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/wahine.htm

Also on the RANGATIRA:
http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/r4.htm

It seems that the name WAHINE has some ill-luck attached to it, the 1913-built previous bearer of that name also ended her days in a reef:

1951 August 15 At 05:40 a.m. the Wahine ran hard aground on the Masela Island Reef off Cape Palsu in the Arafura Sea, being held as far aft as the engine room. In response to a distress call, all aboard were rescued by the Standard Vacuum Oil's tanker Stanvac Karachi and returned to Darwin. From there the men were flown in relays to their destination but it was a sad end for a vessel that had given thirty-eight years of magnificent service. Salvage attempts were unsuccessful and the vessel was abandoned as a total loss.

Information taken from: http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/wahine1.htm

Best regards from Lisbon,
Paulo Mestre

Without a mark, without a bound,
It runneth the earth's wide regions round;
it plays with the clouds;
it mocks the skies;
Or like a cradled creature lies.

Barry Cornwall
Old 7th February 2006, 22:59

My location
Posted a photo today of Wahine on side in Wellington Harbour. I was on Holmdale at the time and like everyone else in NZ was fairly shocked that such a thing could happen to such a modern ship etc etc. I think it helped lead to the demise of the InterIsland Ferry Service. I was also in Lyttelton on the night the Rangitira sailed for the last time...It was a totally surreal night...I think a collective realisation that the world had indeed moved on and the end of life as we knew it........oh well
Old 8th February 2006, 09:10

Wahine

I was on the Komata in Auckland. We expected a rough night in Auckland but did not happen. Spent the day getting up and down of the engineroom keeping up with the news. A long and sad day. I know a number of crew, as did many other Union Co people.
Jim B
Old 14th October 2006, 01:03

Hi
For those wanting to know the history of the Rangatira, check this site, http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/rangatira_1972.htm
For some reason, I can't find the Wahine on this site.
Regards
Karl
Old 14th October 2006, 02:03

dom

Rangatira broken up as Alexander the Great at Aliaga,Turkey, not much left of her in the photo i saw
Old 10th March 2008, 11:30

Last night I came across a website setup by the Godson of the Wahine's Captain. It kept my attention for the better part of the evening. I definitely recommend it

http://www.thewahine.co.nz/wahine.html
Old 11th March 2008, 06:38

My location
Thanks Martin, I hadn't seen that one.
Old 22nd April 2008, 19:33

Interesting that the later Rangatira had partly open bridge and the earlier Wahine had a closed one. Maybe a recommendation from the inquiry?
Old 14th January 2009, 15:53

When I saw a picture of the Wahine on its side in one of the books my uncle owned, I was instantly interested. It was a picture with a ferry passing the wreck (I've experienced the same after the disaster with the "Herald of Free Enterprise" - we passed the wreck when we went to England a few weeks later and it was quite awful to see).
I wanted to find more information on the disaster and the Wahine. The posts on this forum has been a great help. Thank you for all the stories and the links (especially for the link to the New Zealand maritime record http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/wahine.htm)
Regards, Ies
Old 26th January 2009, 10:57

Thanks to the stories I found on this forum I could write the post about the Wahine on my blog: http://www.the-7-seas.blogspot.com/
I hope you like it.
Regards, Ies
Old 21st April 2019, 18:18

Did Bill waters also design the "Australian trader" and the "Empress Of Australia" ?
Old 11th December 2019, 16:59

The Rangitira (?) was indeed used as an accommodation ship in Loch Kishorn, near Toscaig, when the oil platform NinianCentral was being built.
I was on a supply vessel there at the time - I forget which one, but it was in Offshore Marine - now defunct.