TT Calshot - Ships Nostalgia
22:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

TT Calshot

User Tag List

Old 7th August 2009, 00:42

TT Calshot

Does anyone know or heard any news on the former Red Funnel Tug Tender "Calshot" (1930) that is moored in the Eastern Docks?.

When it was bought by the Southampton City Council in the late 1980's a great deal of money was spent on it and later it was left rusting away and almost sold for scrap, but taken over by a Preservation Trust who were to apply for Funding and now seams to no longer exsist as the Website is gone.

I have heard reports that she may have to vacate the present berth soon and if the present owners can not move the "Calshot", it will be sold for scrap!
Old 11th August 2009, 20:05

Nope. Strange how this always seems to happen.
Old 20th November 2010, 07:56

News from TT "CALSHOT"

Still alive and swimming: TT "CALSHOT"

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Wales View Post
Does anyone know or heard any news on the former Red Funnel Tug Tender "Calshot" (1930) that is moored in the Eastern Docks?.

When it was bought by the Southampton City Council in the late 1980's a great deal of money was spent on it and later it was left rusting away and almost sold for scrap, but taken over by a Preservation Trust who were to apply for Funding and now seams to no longer exsist as the Website is gone.

I have heard reports that she may have to vacate the present berth soon and if the present owners can not move the "Calshot", it will be sold for scrap!
Good Morning,

received on November 2010 following mail from Mr. Delderfield of the "Tug Tender CALSHOT Trust":

To-date we have re-instated the "Woodbine Funnel" to bring her appearance back to the original aspect. We are also in the process of applying to the Heritage Lottery Fund for a substantial grant to restore her to a standard fit for public use and as a Maritime Museum. I am attaching the latest picture of the Calshot with the new Queen Elizabeth on her Maiden Voyage, which will give you some idea of the work already carried out by us and our volunteers. If you print this picture please ensure that the photographer's name is included as he has given us permission to use it on that agreement.
unquote

Link to the actual photo here: http://www.das-floss-der-medusa.de/i...ethcalshot.jpg

I am sure you will enjoy the photo.

Best regards from Germany
by Peter Hartung

Last edited by Peter Hartung; 20th November 2010 at 07:59..
Old 20th November 2010, 15:10
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Peter and welcome to SN on your first interesting posting. Bon voyage.
Old 10th December 2019, 18:09

Looking at National Historic Ships site I saw that in May 2019 there was an application to "De-construct" Calshot with a deadline of 1 June for last minute interventions. Since then I have seen no further news about this and the Trust website has not been updated for quite a time. Does anyone know what the current situation is?
Old 10th December 2019, 21:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
I seem to recall an old Red Funnel tender in service in Gibraltar in the 60s. Or was it another one? I remember chucking heaving lines to her.
Old 10th December 2019, 23:21

I think you would have seen Bland Shipping's Gibraltar 'CAID'. (1906, 255 grt) ex "Rochester Queen", ex "Gertrude" - former Tilbury Ferry.

Red funnel.
Old 11th December 2019, 10:46

The vessel I had in mind was the steam tug/tender Calshot which has been berthed at Southampton for some time. Originally built pre-war for Red Funnel. Converted to diesel and then spent some some as a ferry to the Arran Isles named Galway Bay. Returned to Southampton for restoration and had alot of work done on her. Now it seems that ABP want her moved and the money has run out. The application to "De-construct" came from National Historic Ships
Old 11th December 2019, 12:22

Built for Red Funnel, 1930. Sold in 1964 to Holland America Line. Re-engined at Rotterdam. Renamed GALWAY BAY. Intended use as tender for Port & Liners Services, Galway. When not in use she made pleasure trips to Arran. Went to several owners from 1969, lastly as Galway Ferries Ltd. Sold in 1988 and renamed OCEAN VILLAGE at Southampton.
Old 13th December 2019, 16:52

CALSHOT earlier this year.
Thought I read somewhere that efforts were being made to save her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CALSHOT (1000x667).jpg (345.6 KB, 5 views)