Windows 10 - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
21:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Windows 10

User Tag List

Old 13th December 2019, 17:45

Oh dear
Old 19th December 2019, 11:00

i have had windows 7 for years and love the version - i have windows 10 laying in the bottom of my draw - still sealed - as i had heard a lot of negative feedback and decided against loading - prior to windows 7 - i had windows vista - which i loved - someone told me windows 10 is much like the old windows vista
Old 19th December 2019, 19:46

Generally speaking Microsoft have produced good, bad, good, bad....

Windows 3.1 - It brought a graphical user interface - Good.
Windows 95 - It gave us the blue screen of death - Bad.
Windows 98 - Sorted most glitches on 95. then 98se - Good.
ME - A step too far too soon. - Bad.
XP - At last they got it right, but then they needed to get it right because from this point Business and Private users all had the same system.- Good.
Vista - tried to fix something which wasn't broken - Bad.
7 - Got it sorted again, with 64 bit speed as an option. - Good.
8 - Oops! who let that out? - 8.1 - better but still glitchy - Bad.
10 - It really is quite good but the constant 'updates' in lieu of a new edition are a pain when older software and hardware no longer work, and other 'issues'.
Old 20th December 2019, 12:12
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 2004 - Present

i got a computer a few months ago, it was used and the previous owner had upgraded to windows 10 so as soon as i got it home i got rid of windows 10 in a flash and installed windows 7 as they had the 7 installer cd with the other bits.

no way im gonna use 10 no matter how much hype there is over it.
Old 20th December 2019, 12:43
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1960

I'm a Linux user, and proud of it.
I "emigrated" from Windows about 10 years ago, and have never looked back.

What I read about Windows 10 gives me the impression it's very much a "marmite" system - you luv it or you hate it.

Lots of folk have issues with it, while many others don't and I'm not in a position to judge either way, but it does seem to me that for those who used earlier versions of Windows, particularly OE and 7, 10 seems a step or two too far.

Were Microsoft trying to develop a system that was all things to all people?

With such rapid advance of all things technological, surely it behoves manufacturers and developers to make things easier for the end user, and I do have to question whether or not Microsoft understand this.
Old 20th December 2019, 13:35

I am gradually migrating to Linux. I have a couple of old PC's with Windows 10 but as others have also mentioned updates keep being forced on you and they don't work. Even though the PC has a Windows badge suggesting suitability. Literally spent half a day yesterday attempting to allow an update and it finally froze and failed then restored the previous version. It's just a continual waste of time. I've lost count how many times updates have failed, and bricked the PC.
My other complaint is the amount of bloatware which is unwanted and unused.
I just want a solid operating system on which I can add a few specific programs.
Arch Linux is looking to be the way to go but it does have a learning curve so I am starting with other distros.
Old 20th December 2019, 15:07
Active: 1955 - 1960

There's a dedicated Linux thread here, though certainly not oversubscribed.
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showt...ighlight=Linux

In the meantime, have you looked here?:
https://distrowatch.com/

I'm using Linux Mint 18.3

Back to Win 10......................

Last edited by norm.h; 20th December 2019 at 15:14..
Old 23rd December 2019, 17:09
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

Whichever operating system or computer one uses there is the all-abiding rule: have a backup of everything of importance, including the operating system (Macs do that automatically through "Time Machine." But in W10 you need to set one up.
For anyone who is having trouble with W10, and is prepared to become something of a computer geek, there is a hidden routine in W10 called "God mode." This provides a vast range of tweaks and modifications that never appear in the basic interface, and it is accessible through https://www.cnet.com/how-to/activate...in-windows-10/. That is a vast resource and worth a try if you have problems. You can trawl the Internet to find which each command does.

Good luck with that!
Old 8th January 2020, 07:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony Allard View Post
i got a computer a few months ago, it was used and the previous owner had upgraded to windows 10 so as soon as i got it home i got rid of windows 10 in a flash and installed windows 7 as they had the 7 installer cd with the other bits.

no way im gonna use 10 no matter how much hype there is over it.
Windows 7 won't be supported by Microsoft 2020,even though I liked Windows 7, I still switched to Windows 10, and it didn't bother me when I upgraded to Windows 10.
Old 12th January 2020, 07:11
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 2004 - Present

im still using windows 7 regardless of it no longer being supported,
i know people that was using XP even though they stopped support,
there is no need for support generally i have not used it nor would use it. as reformatting will work in the worst cases.

i dont windows 10 as i have internet data caps here and 10 is always updating itself which you dont need to do with 7, nor do you need antivirus as they rarely are around and i are on sites that would have viruses and i dont any issues, its trojans and malware thats the problem and they are usually in something that looks odd that is downloaded.
Old 12th January 2020, 11:29

It's a bit dodgy, not having an anti virus app.
Personally, I use MacAfee on my W10 laptop. Part of the deal, is that you can install it on any other computer you may have. However, it will not recognise my desktop, which is Vista.
Maybe in the future, I may get round to updating to W10. It will mean losing all saved data, but, what the hell, I haven't switched it on for a couple of years.