Merchant Navy Fare - merged threads - Page 23 - Ships Nostalgia
16:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Merchant Navy Fare - merged threads

User Tag List

Old 25th June 2009, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
Hi George.
Yes, we certainly had some good times there. Wullie Ross was a real character. The girls at the Jungle were from very good families in Shields i'll have you know and the fact that they wore donkey jackets and wellies was just to blend in with us low life.
Regards
Leo
Aye Leo and didn't Houlders supply the donkey jackets and wellies, see such a caring sharing company!

Last edited by George Simpson; 25th June 2009 at 13:58..
Old 25th June 2009, 13:39
doric doric is offline   SN Supporter
doric

Feeding

I sailed as an Electrical Engineer wth the Shaw Savill Lines on the following ships :-

Dominion Monarch, Wairangi, Taranaki, Gothic, Waiwera, & Suevic.
I know they were called Slow Starvation & Agony, but I must admit that every one of the above mentioned ships were good feeders, the quality of food served was excellent.
Terence Williams. R538301.
Old 25th June 2009, 21:37

My location
Hi Leo/George, Yes they were good days on Tyneside, Tom & Peggy were good hosts at the Wolsington I don,t suppose its there now. I recall a night out at Seaton Delaval Hall for a medieval banquet, a superb night. Can,t remember whether i was on the Oregis or U.J. at the time, the night was "sponsered by Smiths.
How are things in Spain Leo? trust alls well.
All the Best Alan.
P.s. Don,t remember anything about women or Jungle!!!!!
Old 26th June 2009, 08:18
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1994

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Hughes View Post
I remember on Nzs...Hertford....favorite soup was Potage Garbure in the salon named by the infamous Chief Steward Geogie Ford...made from the stock pot ....absolutly wonderfull ...said Mate Charlie Whale....has some delightfull flavors that linger on the tongue.....spot on Charlie thanks to the ABs passing through the galley having dropped 3 pair of ladies panties in the stock pot.....I allways wondered whether the girls from Ma Gleesons missed them.fondest memories....Derek Hughes.
Brilliant ! now those were the good old days.
Old 1st July 2009, 15:48
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1996

Russian Salad. Only ever seen on ships, and I loved it. Looked for it in salad bars in Morrisons/Asda etc but with no success. Even local delis when I enquire of it come over with a glazed look.
Florida Salad, another favourite, which is so difficult to find, certainly here in the NE.
Breaded sweetbreads, another delicacy I've only come across on ships, and a taste to be remembered. It wasn't all bad, our food at sea, and Ted Landsdowne, a Chief Steward with the Palm Line made the most delicious pea soup and sippets known to mankind. You could stand your soup spoon vertical in it. Magnificent
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:56
Department: Deck
Active: 1984 - Present

Egg Curry

A popular "entree" on Blue Star vessel's was Egg Curry.
Take a boiled egg, cut her in half, stick on top of a pile of "patna" rice (i always remember it being half white and half yellow) and pour some curry sauce on the top.Voila!
'Ansome job, and thats no error!
Old 4th July 2009, 18:20

I sailed on the Safmarine Astor Cruise Ship as 2/E between 86 and 89. We had a great old German Baker on board who lived In Chile. He got very agitated when he heard we were scheduled to visit several US Ports on a particular cruise. When we got to Fort Lauderdale the FBI came and got him. Turns out he was an ex concentration camp guard. You would never have guessed It .
Old 4th July 2009, 22:24

My location
This is a great thread but I havent read it all yet. After about three pages I end up in ther fridge looking for something to eat
Old 14th July 2009, 13:27

In Harrison's on the bulkers, 'almost' everyone's favourite entre was 'Guano Kon Tiki' - great taste and a top name. The polite term is Kidney on Toast.
Old 14th July 2009, 14:19
Department: Purser
Active: 1955 - 1966

Altough I never heard the name "Guano Kon Tiki" (which I imagine treanslate as sh-- on a raft) I remember, with great fondness, from my years in Harisons of Liverpool.
I have been searching for the recipe for a long time and have now found it on the BP Culinary posting (thanks to Marconi Sahib) and I look forward to having a shot at making it for myslef shortly.
Peter (Pat) Baker.
Old 14th July 2009, 14:22
Department: Purser
Active: 1955 - 1966

Re. my last post, for " treanslate" please read "translates"
Peter (Pat) Baker.
Old 15th July 2009, 07:02

Think Bankline were possibly one of the leading contenders in the abysmal food stakes !
Okay - curry was on the go 24/7 if you wanted it, but on one Bank boat I was on, they'd overloaded on Mutton and Mutton curry became a joke !
The "Gingers" got fed up of surfacing from the E/R to face yet another mutton curry that in the end they went on a bender and renamed the bar "Muttonbank" Oh happy days !

The one that takes the biscuit - was when I was on a tanker (non names / no packdrill) and I was served "good old Macedonia veg" which had been fried in ghee !!

Some of the names that were conjured up on the menu cards use to make me laugh, "Brown Windsor" & "Potage St Julienne" - crickey I haven't seen either of those in years.

For all that said - my waistline hasn't suffered over the years !
Old 15th July 2009, 07:10

Before I forget..... on a Diamond-D bridge boat (Avon Bridge) I sampled the best "Chow Fan Satay" & "Nazi Goreng" ever. Well done to those HK Chinese crew - cos after a few beers in the bar and a plate full of either - my Sunday was complete !
Old 12th June 2010, 14:32

John, I believe we sailed together as 2nd & 3rd Mate on NAESS TALISMAN (Capt. George Paton) 1967-8. A Panamax Bulkcarrier, worldwide trading, wonderful. I retired 7.6.2010 as Marine Superintendent at one of Libya's main oil & gas exporting Terminals. Talking about food! I joined my 1st ship in 1962, a P.& O. cargo ship, a seperate menu for each meal, probably 7 courses, but the number of different names that could be given to similar types, for example of cooked potatoes, always surprised me. The food on NAESS TALISMAN was not very good but on my next ship, NAESS SOVEREIGN, it was good. I served on ARISAIG & CRINAN. The food & life on modern oiltankers, and no doubt most other ships is pretty awful. Regards David Booth.
Old 12th June 2010, 14:36

John, I believe we sailed together as 2nd & 3rd Mate on NAESS TALISMAN (Capt. George Paton) 1967-8. A Panamax Bulkcarrier, worldwide trading, wonderful. I retired 7.6.2010 (this week) as Marine Superintendent at one of Libya's main oil & gas exporting Terminals. Talking about food! I joined my 1st ship in 1962, a P.& O. cargo ship, a seperate menu for each meal, probably 7 courses, but the number of different names that could be given to similar types, for example of cooked potatoes, always surprised me. The food on NAESS TALISMAN was not very good but on my next ship, NAESS SOVEREIGN, it was good. I served on ARISAIG & CRINAN and finished my career with J & J Denholms when I joined the OBO, SPEYBRIDGE as a new ship in Japan. The food & life on modern oiltankers, and no doubt most other ships is pretty awful. Regards David Booth.
Old 12th June 2010, 14:45
Catering 1958 - 2007
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
My favorite was Cole Slaw, cabbage, carrot, apple and onion made with a proper dressing. Oil vinegar, lemon juice sugar pepper. Not like the rubbish you get in pub grub made with mayonaisse or salad cream.
Some diced chillies to give it a bit of a kick
Old 12th June 2010, 14:48
Catering 1958 - 2007
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog96 View Post
I remember my first trip as a galley boy the drunken chief steward instructed me to give them plenty, one each. I think I was the only person on the ship that he trusted the storeroom keys with.
The old saying give them plenty one between twenty
Old 12th June 2010, 15:48
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings David and a warm welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 12th June 2010, 20:40

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbadbooth View Post
John, I believe we sailed together as 2nd & 3rd Mate on NAESS TALISMAN (Capt. George Paton) 1967-8. A Panamax Bulkcarrier, worldwide trading, wonderful. I retired 7.6.2010 (this week) as Marine Superintendent at one of Libya's main oil & gas exporting Terminals. Talking about food! I joined my 1st ship in 1962, a P.& O. cargo ship, a seperate menu for each meal, probably 7 courses, but the number of different names that could be given to similar types, for example of cooked potatoes, always surprised me. The food on NAESS TALISMAN was not very good but on my next ship, NAESS SOVEREIGN, it was good. I served on ARISAIG & CRINAN and finished my career with J & J Denholms when I joined the OBO, SPEYBRIDGE as a new ship in Japan. The food & life on modern oiltankers, and no doubt most other ships is pretty awful. Regards David Booth.

David , welcome to the site.

Yes by goodness , we did sail together - Naess Talisman witn George Paton as Master and Mike Feltham as Mate.
Did I not come and visit you after we got home , Macclesfield was it not ?.
Old 13th June 2010, 11:53

My location
Sorry David , it was Bob ( R.M.) Paton not George Paton.

He was relieved by "Black Duncan" MacDonald on the trip we went up to Puerto Ordaz.
Old 17th June 2010, 05:39
Department: Navigation
Active: 1968 - 2015

Zueitina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbadbooth View Post
Hello David,
I think I met you at Zueitina when I was Master on Naftomar's finest, the Gaz Fareast and Gaz Symphony.
I never realised we had been contemporaries in the Diamond D.
Thanks for the book swaps.

Ian
Old 31st July 2010, 17:41
Nostalgia Man

Hi All, this thread will never die,not while we all have such good memories.
Over the last few years me and the good wife have been on several P&O cruises for our holidays. Needless to say the food in the restaurant for dinner is exceptional, I discovered that if you have lunch in the buffet restaurant then a lot of what we have been talking about is there!
Wonderfully tasting, quite dubious looking, soups.
Potatoes of every kind including the famous 'savoury croquets'.
The square ships bread baked fresh every day.
Russian salad, but they dont call it that.
Beautiful curries my favourite being green in colour, Those Goan cooks know how to do a proper curry.
Kromeskies.
And my favourite of all Steamed duffs of every type with lashings of that really thick custard, the type that if you let it go cold you can cut chunks of it off.
Now if that doesnt lead to a deckhead survey then you must be dead already.

Billy
Old 11th August 2010, 23:34

the mince in dhall curry should be dry and not need the bisto to thicken it

Last edited by cookietwo; 11th August 2010 at 23:35.. Reason: miss spelling ie typo
Old 12th August 2010, 01:08

Has anyone ever heard of Babies Heads. I think it came from the north east. Kidneys and onions all boiled in a rich dark gravy, and served in pastry. Disgusting, to those of us who enjoyed fish and chips. Anthony Atkinson
Old 17th August 2010, 00:29
Active: 1972 - 1976

I was once given the choice of Bismarck Herring, which I declined almost in favour of sandwiches, till told it was a hamburger with an anchovy on top,discard anchovy and eat your fill.
We had a cook from South Shields on one ship, he used to make Stotties early on, great with an egg in the middle and a can of beer as the sun came up!!! us geodies always stick together.

Last edited by chris thompson195; 17th August 2010 at 00:30.. Reason: cant spell!