Looking for Dennis Smith R/o UASC - Ships Nostalgia
15:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Looking for Dennis Smith R/o UASC

User Tag List

Old 7th January 2016, 00:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1977 - 1993

Looking for Dennis Smith R/o UASC

Does any one remember Al Salimiah up the Shat in 1979 waiting at anchor for 3 and a half months whilst the Ayatollah came to power? Especially interested to hear from my first trip JRO Dennis Smith? Nigel
Old 10th January 2016, 13:00
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1989

Not on the Salimiah but enjoyed Jilfar same place same time. Very relaxing with deck golf most afternoons. Did get a bit desperate for diesel for Gennies, down to 3 tonnes ROB at one time, and had thoughts of rationing but we got a barge of great quality gas oil just in time. One morning I got up early to get my weekly soundings done in the quiet and Mike Hardmeat, Mate, watched me going around the deck being stalked by one of the crew with a big stick thinking he had heard a pirate. We had pirates on board a couple of times during our stay, I believe a fair amount of paint went missing from the forecastle store.
Old 10th January 2016, 22:28
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
Re-post here https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=2902 you will get a better response.
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:19
Active: 1973 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGrace View Post
Not on the Salimiah but enjoyed Jilfar same place same time. Very relaxing with deck golf most afternoons. Did get a bit desperate for diesel for Gennies, down to 3 tonnes ROB at one time, and had thoughts of rationing but we got a barge of great quality gas oil just in time. One morning I got up early to get my weekly soundings done in the quiet and Mike Hardmeat, Mate, watched me going around the deck being stalked by one of the crew with a big stick thinking he had heard a pirate. We had pirates on board a couple of times during our stay, I believe a fair amount of paint went missing from the forecastle store.
That sounds like a BSL ship you may have been on, we had a Mike Hardmeat as mate there.
I was on the Halifax Star as 5/E and we got very close to blacking out due to lack of diesel, fortunately the Montreal Star came in and we did a bit of RAS'ing which saved the day and a day later the bunker barge came out.
Old 22nd January 2016, 21:51
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternchallis View Post
That sounds like a BSL ship you may have been on, we had a Mike Hardmeat as mate there.
I was on the Halifax Star as 5/E and we got very close to blacking out due to lack of diesel, fortunately the Montreal Star came in and we did a bit of RAS'ing which saved the day and a day later the bunker barge came out.
Mike Hardmeat went to United Arab after Blue Star and was one of the last Brits to get a command.
I last saw him in the 90s at a meeting at Hull Trinity Trinity Hose. Dont know what hes doing now.
Old 22nd January 2016, 22:44
Department: Deck

Mike Hardmeat lives in Ostend, he is on Facebook.