Members no longer posting. - Page 6 - Ships Nostalgia
01:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Members no longer posting.

User Tag List

Old 9th October 2019, 16:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1964

By the pricking of my thumbs....I have a strong feeling that I just may have detected the rancid odour of sock-puppet over the last four or five days. Hope he isn't back from the dark beyond.

Last edited by R719220; 9th October 2019 at 17:04..
Old 9th October 2019, 19:44
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakercapt View Post
....... he brought a newspaper down each morning.
Always a nice gesture when visiting a ship - Newspapers or mags and fresh milk!!
Rgds.
Dave
Old 9th October 2019, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
Always a nice gesture when visiting a ship - Newspapers or mags and fresh milk!!
Rgds.
Dave
The Blue Funnel agent in Amsterdam always brought bars of chocolate and selected magazines, to give to the deck boys/pantry boy.
But... there was a price to pay!
He was, what is referred to as, a Chicken Hawk.
Old 10th October 2019, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolycus View Post
...I am prepared to believe Will Smyth has given it straight ..
Then perhaps Mr Smyth #87 would care to explain his "working with Davies from 2006 until his passing in January 2013" when the Merchant Navy Friends forum claims member Capt Bill Davies last activity was 2nd February 2014.
Old 10th October 2019, 09:33
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Then perhaps Mr Smyth #87 would care to explain his "working with Davies from 2006 until his passing in January 2013" when the Merchant Navy Friends forum claims member Capt Bill Davies last activity was 2nd February 2014.
Interesting!

Anyone know what happened to Gollywobbler and Seafoods?

BW

J
Old 10th October 2019, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Interesting!

BW

J
J, I remember G/wobbler - a woman who's husband had been a seaman or associated with the sea. She left SN, unhappy at offending comments from a couple of so called 'respected' members.

JJ.
Old 10th October 2019, 14:57

Quote:
Person as Will Smyth joined on 26th Sept, made one post on 4th Oct and has not logged back on since, so don't hold your breath waiting for a reply.
Old 10th October 2019, 15:21

Post #123 Sean (aka Jacky)

I do not recall "accusing" Seaman 38 of being anyone other than himself. As a matter of correction I admire and respect Seaman 38 for his erudite and honest postings- the latter could not be attributed to the Captain personified. Very slippery of you Sean, make no mistake, following one of Seaman 38s posts you gave a one liner ‘BILL DAVIES?”

Yes, if have I had serious doubts about the true personality and intentions of of particular poster on a particular thread I (like others) on occasions sought to tease additional info from the particular poster. I do not recall having my curiosity satisfied by any so challenged. So you are acting in some unofficial self-imposed policing capacity. You definitely haven’t changed.

Glenbeg??????

I would venture to suggest that S/N is better served without the said captain and any other individual with the same mindset of creating multiple accounts for reasons of deception and ridicule of others. Deception you say? Is it not you who have boring us all senseless with mention of Joe Bates (who I knew well – better than you!) and Ronnie Safe? Strange that you not mind putting the knife in their back by disclosing confidential / embarrassing information in an open forum with no regard to their families who just might visit the site. Unprincipled comes to mind as well.

I have never questioned his ability or comraderie on board as I have never sailed with him. Obviously. You were still a precocious Deck boy with Otto G. in 66ish.

Will Symth??????

Yes, I do read the posting of others in the many threads/ matters that interest me. On a decreasing number of occasions I may look at the trend of a particular poster. Interesting. As I have said. Always one for ‘Intrigue and subterfuge’
Old 10th October 2019, 16:05

I must respond to the slurs above.

My name is John as very many know on this site. Never ever had any inclination to use Jacky on any site.

Never likened or linked Seaman 38 to Bill Davies - confirmed by Seaman himself.

Absolute rubbish re para 2. I am just an ordinary member who abhors imposters and deceitful creatures.

Nothing intriguing or subterfuge about me .

Yes, I sailed with both Joe Bates and Ronnie Safe - the finest bosun and Master I have had the pleasure to sail with. I have always paid them the greatest respect on these forums and never, repeat never "put the knife in their back" as you penned above . I consider such comment above to be libellous and offer such as a warning.

Yes I was a first trip deck boy with Otto - quite uneventful.

Now I would respectfully ask that you desist making libellous comments forthwith.

I will ask moderators to monitor these accusations. Nothing behind your back!

John
Old 10th October 2019, 19:37

One of my postings on the Silver Line thread below:

I was only with him for 7 months on Binsnes and would like to remember Ronnie as he was - a mans man.

Such a very sad end to his life. Will light a candle in his memory on Saturday.

Bw
J

John
Old 11th October 2019, 21:27

Further to the Bill Davies story, as I said in another thread concerning him, I was a staunch supporter of Bill, not believing the allegations made against him, until I was phoned by the site owner at the time, Steve, who told me, amongst other things, that Bill had accused a fellow member of neglecting his duties by spending his working hours, he was a coastguard, posting on here.
Apparently Bill Davies had communicated this allegation to the coastguard authorities, and this chap was suspended and subjected to a thorough investigation. He was found to be totally innocent of any wrongdoing and was reinstated. The allegation was judged to be of malicious intent.
Old 11th October 2019, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Interesting!

BW

J
Those two members were single issue posters, who were prolific and very concerned about the closure of several coastguard stations around the UK coast.
I think they both dropped out once that issue lost it's head of steam.
Another prolific poster who dropped out very suddenly was Marine Jocky. He was a one time lorry driver, then the youngest Chief Engineer in Houlders, and last heard of a prosperous yacht broker in Fort Lauderdale. A very entertaining fellow he was, and I liked him.
Old 11th October 2019, 21:44
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1970

What on earth is going on here in the last few posts? If you want to engage in a slanging match please do it in Stormy Weather. This thread is in danger of being moved or even deleted.
Old 12th October 2019, 00:23

Please leave me out of your tennis match, I have only ever been me, and have no desire to be anyone else, as said before, one of me is enough for anyone. I do not recall having any dealings with the said Captain you are discussing, but then again ' me memory ain't wot it yused to be
Old 12th October 2019, 07:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
.. A very entertaining fellow he was, and I liked him...
He certainly was entertaining and never called a spade a shovel. On that score another was NZ poster Alex Salmond..
The halcyon days of SN..
Old 12th October 2019, 12:20
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Quote:

Another prolific poster who dropped out very suddenly was Marine Jocky. He was a one time lorry driver, then the youngest Chief Engineer in Houlders, and last heard of a prosperous yacht broker in Fort Lauderdale. A very entertaining fellow he was, and I liked him.
I always understood that marine jocky was one of the so called sock puppets, he disappeared at the same time as some other mysterious accounts and I believe that his master is still posting now...........

Pat have you ever met him.
Old 12th October 2019, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
I always understood that marine jocky was one of the so called sock puppets, he disappeared at the same time as some other mysterious accounts and I believe that his master is still posting now...........

No Frank, I did not, but we did exchange PMs for a while. I think he was the real deal, and I did confirm online that he had this yacht brokerage in Florida.
Other members, I recall, had sailed with him in Houlders, and exchanged reminisences with him, so I have never doubted his authenticity.
Regards,
Pat

Last edited by Pat Kennedy; 12th October 2019 at 14:05..
Old 12th October 2019, 15:13
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Quote:
No Frank, I did not, but we did exchange PMs for a while. I think he was the real deal, and I did confirm online that he had this yacht brokerage in Florida.
Other members, I recall, had sailed with him in Houlders, and exchanged reminisences with him, so I have never doubted his authenticity.
Regards,
Pat
Pat do you remember many years ago in the early days of SN there were a couple of members almost begging to be made up to Moderators, he was one of those seconding/recommending one of the puppeteers, we were lucky that the person never made it...............
Old 12th October 2019, 19:21

Quote:
He certainly was entertaining and never called a spade a shovel. On that score another was NZ poster Alex Salmond..
The halcyon days of SN..
Yes Alex Salmond was another one of the good guys. Ex engine room rating, he lived in NZ and was close to the late,(and much lamented) Barrinoz, who was one of the stars of SN at that time.
Old 12th October 2019, 19:23

Quote:
Pat do you remember many years ago in the early days of SN there were a couple of members almost begging to be made up to Moderators, he was one of those seconding/recommending one of the puppeteers, we were lucky that the person never made it...............
I do remember that Frank, in a vague way, but not the personalities involved.
Who would want to be a moderator? Not me!
Old 12th October 2019, 19:40

Quote:

I seem to remember Satanic visited Marine Jockey when in the US.

I think both posted about it.

JJ.
Old 12th October 2019, 21:52

There was a small contingent of RFA captains who posted here regularly back then. Lancastrian and Hill Shepherd were two I recall particularly. They mostly steered clear of political or controversial subjects, although Lancastrian was a fervent supporter of the right to smoke anywhere, anytime.
Hill Shepherd sent me a book about the RFA in the South Atlantic, No Seas too Rough, which I would recommend to anyone interested in the details of the RFA role during the Falklands conflict
Old 12th October 2019, 22:56
King Ratt

My location
Quote:
There was a small contingent of RFA captains who posted here regularly back then. Lancastrian and Hill Shepherd were two I recall particularly. They mostly steered clear of political or controversial subjects, although Lancastrian was a fervent supporter of the right to smoke anywhere, anytime.
Hill Shepherd sent me a book about the RFA in the South Atlantic, No Seas too Rough, which I would recommend to anyone interested in the details of the RFA role during the Falklands conflict
Sadly Lancastrian crossed the bar a few years ago. A sad loss for sure.
Old 15th October 2019, 04:16

Can anyone explain to me?, why do some people make up different IDs on websites such as SN. It makes no sense to me! I.E. the 'Bill Davies' debacle!
Where's SM?
Old 15th October 2019, 06:55

Satanic's last posting was on 11th October 2019, that is not too long ago. But I have the impression that the fire in his moral sermons have lessened somewhat, and his presence therefore not being as looming as it once was. Maybe the mass of evil in this world have become too heavy for the mechanical Sisyphos to push against... No that is only half-hearted joking, we really do need some more bad conscience here on SN. Well, I do. COME BACK SATANIC! Hit us with musical quotes, slam us with contrasting good and similar evil behaviour, splashpaint us darker than evilly blackfaced.

Last edited by stein; 15th October 2019 at 07:14..