Nautical Colleges - Ships Nostalgia
22:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Nautical Colleges

User Tag List

Old 5th June 2019, 16:05

Nautical Colleges

There was a Navigation College in Dundee many moons ago
Old 5th June 2019, 18:37

Dundee Technical College had a School of Navigation and Engineering for Pre-sea Cadets - 12 month Course with 6 months " sea time " allocated for successful completion - Captains Gardiner, Creelman and Squaire - and a Mr Fraser ( ex RN Petty Officer ) for Lifeboat / Sailing Training. I attended in 1960 and returned for Second Mates. Small Classes meant very personal training and I enjoyed my time there. Would be good to catch up with any old classmates.
Bob L.
Old 5th June 2019, 20:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annmckinnon View Post
Dundee never had a navigation/nautical college, Ann, but nautical subjects were taught at the Tech.

It did, however, have a wireless college in Windsor Street which I attended in early 1943, and which I wrote about in my book, DUNDEE MEMORIES.
Old 6th June 2019, 13:35
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1980

I did a year at Dundee Nautical College/School mid 1969-1970, They had a couple of rowing/ sailing boats out at Broughty Ferry,
Jock
Old 6th June 2019, 16:24

Ian - Yes, had the boathouse at West Ferry - in my time we went there every Wednesday afternoon for rowing and sailing Usually Captain Creelman and Mr Fraser oversaw proceedings - not much fun in the middle of winter !!
Also did lifesaving at the old baths down near the Docks - as I mentioned earlier it was an excellent " induction " into seagoing and I joined Anchor Line in 1961 - Happy days. Bob L.
Old 6th June 2019, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
Ian - Yes, had the boathouse at West Ferry - in my time we went there every Wednesday afternoon for rowing and sailing Usually Captain Creelman and Mr Fraser oversaw proceedings - not much fun in the middle of winter !!
Also did lifesaving at the old baths down near the Docks - as I mentioned earlier it was an excellent " induction " into seagoing and I joined Anchor Line in 1961 - Happy days. Bob L.
You'll find my experiences at the old Dundee baths in my book, Dundee Memories. My only experience of sailing was when I did my Lifeboatman's Certificate at Salthouse Dock in Liverpool in October 1948.
Old 7th June 2019, 01:13

Yes West Ferry, Only Cpt Creelman took us I don't remember a Mr Fraser. Yes got lifesaving badges at the pool near the end of the esplanade. I think we were the last intake before the course was terminated, I remember the class rooms being demolished in Bell street, we were moved for the last six months can't remember where. Did tech drawing with an ancient old guy, very good we passed our O level tech drawing. I think there was only six of us completed the course 2 Engine and 4 Deck. I got a second class Watch Ashore prize my mother was furious she wanted me to get a first. Went to Glasgow School of Nautical Studies then Spent 7 years with P&O and two years with AMPTC .
Jock
Old 7th June 2019, 10:43

Jock - Thanks for the update - I wondered when the School of Navigation/Engineering closed as I was last there in 1964 preparing for Second Mates - after that was at Greenock and finally London.
Mr Fraser was Caretaker at the College as well as part time trainer - rather a fearsome chap to us Cadets !!! This thread has brought back a lot of memories - all good - most of the Cadets went to Clan Line, Denholms and Ben Line.
Remember we went to The Caledon Shipyard to watch a Bowater Vessel being launched.
Bob L.
Old 7th June 2019, 11:26
Active: 1970 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annmckinnon View Post

There was an awful lot of things in Dundee a couple of moons ago.
Old 7th June 2019, 14:29
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - 1977

Once again nothing to do with Nautical Colleges, but I always wondered why in Ellermans we always seemed to carry jute from Bangladesh to there and seemingly no place else. It was not until my volunteer work here at the New Bedford MA Whaling Museum that I found out.
Whaleoil is used in "batching", softening the fibres, so that they maybe spun together to make gunney cloth. Since Dundee was one of the UK's last whaling ports thats why we went there.
I suppose could have asked at the time but seem to remember there were a lot of pretty girls in Dundee!
Old 7th June 2019, 15:51

Michael

Dundee was then the world centre of the jute industry and there was a Textile Department at the Dundee Tech. My brother was a lecturer in the Department and, for several years before the Department closed, all his students were from Bangladesh.
Old 8th June 2019, 02:16

Not sure if we are allowed to describe girls as pretty these days, I remember a lad from Dundee saying that the girls looked fine until they opened their mouths and a bale of jute fell out, what he meant was the terrible Dundee accent! Just about enough to make your ears bleed.
Jock