Empress of Scotland 1947 - Ships Nostalgia
15:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Empress of Scotland 1947

User Tag List

Old 7th January 2019, 22:46

Empress of Scotland 1947

Hi I am looking for ships log /port of calls for the Empress of Scotland in 1947 when she was still a troop ship , my father joined the ship as a deck boy on the 22nd may and would like to know more of the trips he made .I have tried the national archives but they have nothing on line but I may send off for the relevant articles ,I wondered if any one on here might know where to look ,hope I have posted this in the right part of this forum ,its my first post on here .
Pete.
Old 5th April 2019, 03:07
Keith Adams
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 2011

My location
If you look up and research the Scotland by full name you will find a great black and white photo of her approaching a berth in in San Francisco. Photo is bow-on with American Troops hanging all over. My neighbour (95) came home from Japan on her. I haven't checked but I think that after the loss of the Britain, she trooped exclusively on the Pacific which was her prewar passenger domain as the " Empress of Japan". Good luck.
Old 5th April 2019, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Adams View Post
If you look up and research the Scotland by full name you will find a great black and white photo of her approaching a berth in in San Francisco. Photo is bow-on with American Troops hanging all over. My neighbour (95) came home from Japan on her. I haven't checked but I think that after the loss of the Britain, she trooped exclusively on the Pacific which was her prewar passenger domain as the " Empress of Japan". Good luck.
Thank you for your reply ,I think I have the photo you mention its great to have some back ground to it I now know its San Francisco ,I will add it to my scrap book I have made on my dads merchant navy days ,thanks again .
Old 6th May 2019, 18:58
Keith Adams

My location
Hi peteash ! Except for what I wrote about her Empress of Japan days trooping prior to Japan entering the war she was only operating in the Southern Hemisphere ferrying Australasian Troops to the Far East war zone.
However, after 1941 she refitted as a trooper and renamed Empress of Scotland as other members have advised and reported in detail.
I have since learned that my 95 year old neighbour was actually in the US Airforce and his initial memory was back to front ... he was shipped out of on the Empess of Scotland from US Hampton Roads to India via Capetown (30 days) thence by train to Calcutta and into China before returning home after VJ Day from Shanghai via Seattle to San Francisco aboard a converted Liberty Ship trooper (5 tier bunk, 504 to 550 persons) home to San Francisco with first stop Seattle (30 days).
There is a wonderful report of the outbound trip on Google ... "History of the 118th>14th AFA Articles Empress of Scotland.
Memories of the Empress of Scotland by Roger Molina (118th TRS - 449th FS)
jing bao Journal Vol.59, Nos. 359 and 360
Think that was your Dad's first trip as an Empress of Scotland's crew member.
Hope you are able to navigate the info ... I am a total loss at computer stuff
Cheers from Keith Adams aka " Snowy" briefly 4th Mate on the "E of S"
Old 6th May 2019, 21:31

Hi Keith thanks for the reply and the very detailed information I shall do some searching to see what I can find ,fantastic that you were part of the crew on the Emperess
Old 7th May 2019, 05:02
Keith Adams

My location
Great that you were awake and watchful to respond so quickly ... I joined Canadian Pacific right after Second Mates' ticket and served on Empress of Britain, Empress of France, Empress of Scotland and Beaverburn before moving over to Bibby Line. As expected, I forfeited watch keeping time by only earning two thirds time as the Junior on a two officer watchkeeping system except for the Beaverburn. It set me back some but I valued and benefitted from the experience ... the Mates were not allowed to fraterize with the passengers but did have our own table in a corner of the 1st Class Saloon. Regards, Keith.
Old 23rd June 2019, 05:02
Keith Adams

My location
My May 6th post omitted the fact the Empress of Scotland continued on from Capetown to Bombay where my neighbour boarded a train to Calcutta. I regret the omission. Thank you, Keith Adams.