Ships Nostalgia banner

Radio Operators Handbook - PDF

50K views 181 replies 70 participants last post by  Robert M Hughes 
#1 · (Edited)
People still keep hitting this old post - and then request a copy of the handbook by replying and inserting email addresses in the thread...

* * * THIS IS NOT NOT RECOMMENDED AS PLACING EMAIL ADDRESSES IN AN OPEN FORUM LEAVES YOU POTENTIALLY EXPOSED TO AUTOMATIC SCAMMER PROCESSES!

THE BEST WAY TO REQUEST A COPY OF THE HANDBOOK(S) (THERE ARE NOW THREE DIFFERENT VERSIONS) IS TO START A CONVERSATION WITH ME (SIMPLY CLICK ON MY AVATAR AT THE LEFT OF THIS POST AND SELECT 'Start Conversation'). I WILL THEN ATTACH THE HANDBOOK TO A REPLY TO THAT CONVERSATION. * * *

Please also see my other posts about the multiple versions of the Handbook that are now available.

If anyone would like an electronic copy of the Post Office Radio Operators Handbook (1975 Edition), drop me a Private Message and I will forward it to you.

I am not posting/uploading/attaching the file because I do not want to upset anyone over copyright.

I have painfully reconstructed the handbook using Microsoft Word/Excel along with image capture and copy/paste to produce a faithful copy which is actually all my own work (I have both the Word version and the PDF) - I will forward the PDF. Even the pagination is faithfully reproduced!

There are scanned versions of the handbook around but I started with the objective of creating a "clean" copy for my personal archive (threw my original away many years ago when we emigrated to South Africa)

See less See more
#100 ·
If anyone would like an electronic copy of the Post Office Radio Operators Handbook (1975 Edition), drop me a Private Message and I will forward it to you.

I am not posting/uploading/attaching the file because I do not want to upset anyone over copyright.

I have painfully reconstructed the handbook using Microsoft Word/Excel along with image capture and copy/paste to produce a faithful copy which is actually all my own work (I have both the Word version and the PDF) - I will forward the PDF. Even the pagination is faithfully reproduced!

There are scanned versions of the handbook around but I started with the objective of creating a "clean" copy for my personal archive (threw my original away many years ago when we emigrated to South Africa)
I have just today discovered that my ISP/email servers decided that emails from Ships Nostalgia are spam - at least those that are notifications of a Private Message.
I'll try and keep an eye on this - and hope that it is just a temporary thing (I have already flagged the messages as 'not spam') - but, if you send me a PM and do not get a reply within about 24 hours (holidays, sickness and death excluded) can I suggest you try a direct email from the members list (search for 'loptap')

#101 · (Edited)
(Sad)

Still getting anything via Private Message flagged as spam by my ISP. Can't seem to find any way to have Ships Nostalgia "white-listed" - so will have to continue periodic checking...
...so, my apologies in advance to anyone trying to get hold to me!
As suggested in my previous post - if you don't get a fairly quick reply from me (I have been replying to those PMs that get through within 24 hours) - try a direct email via the Members List

UPDATE: Unfortunately, it looks as though even direct emails through Ships Nostalgia are getting flagged as spam - there have been 5 PM notifications and 3 emails all flagged as spam in the last week - so I am going to have to simply continue checking!

#102 ·
Thanks for the pdf Loptap. I'm sure I had a copy of this way back in the 70's when at college in Plymouth and then at sea, but I cannot remember any of it; I don't recognise any of the pages other than the cover. I think mine had an orange cover as I'd have bought it in 1972. Is it too late to get them to correct it? page 153 has the number '1' as a dot followed by 3 dashes - sorry, but I couldn't resist.

#103 ·
...Is it too late to get them to correct it? page 153 has the number '1' as a dot followed by 3 dashes - sorry, but I couldn't resist...
'tis done!
There is now a revision 4.1! But I'll hold off in publishing it - just in case there are other 'errors' noticed!

Question for you...
...when you say "...get them to correct..." - who is the 'them'?

On colours and editions - IIRC the editions before and after this one had an orange cover; mine (circa 1964) was also blue. There is a fair bit of discussion earlier in the thread about colours and editions

#105 · (Edited)

Just discovered (because of a new request for a copy of the handbook) that it is well over a year (November 2018) since the last request - so, just for the sake of newer visitors to "The Radio Room" - I am promoting the link!!

#110 ·
I would also like to thank you for your perseverance in copying this book. As an old USCG Radioman and later commercial radiotelegrapher and ham I want to thank you. Someone else also remarked that most of us knew most of the contents by heart, but with he passing of time much was lost, but now resurrected. Thanks again for making it available to us all.

Dr. Jim Kennedy
K 2 P H D -- PG0222156 - T2GB070658/Radar
OEM-RACES-ARES-CERT | K2PHD@arrl.net
SARA-OOTC-FISTS-SKCC-NAQCC | : FN20qv

#115 · (Edited)
Here's a similar US do***ent but with a much wider scope including Ship/Coast stations, technical requirements/tolerances, operating procedures/frequency allocations etc.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=aFe2sgi-nLYC&printsec=frontcover&vq=coast+station

Pages 5-159 are the 'interesting' bits.

There's even a section on the overtime to be paid to the R/O if he/she has to stay onboard to carry out a radio inspection. Which only seems fair as we can't have those pesky inspectors interfering with our well earned shore time!

#118 ·
Members,

I note some of you have been putting your email address in an open forum - here - this is discouraged as it leaves you open to the bad guys/gals. If you have not heard back from Laptop please send him a PM via the site with your email address. I have deleted those of GNUA and Allend.

rgds
Neville - Hawkey01

#119 ·
Handbook for Radio Operators Version 4.1

Thanks for this.
I do ask, in the thread and am happy to reiterate here - if anyone would like an electronic copy of the Handbook - please send me a request with your email address using PM (Private Message).

I have already responded to both Allend and GNUA and sent them a copy of the Handbook so no harm done in deleting the post(s). There are, of course, many other ways of harvesting email addresses - and everyone should be aware of the need for caution. The modest damage is that you end up on a "for sale" mailing list, after that comes the issues of how that mailing list is used, and the worst case scenario is that gathering email addresses is one (small) part towards identity theft.

Regards.

#120 ·

Dear Loptap
I'd be very grateful for a copy of the PDF. Thank you in advance
jim.s.wallace@gmail.com

#122 ·
Dear Loptap
I'd be very grateful for a copy of the PDF. Thank you in advance
jim.s.wallace@gmail.com
Private Messages are called 'Conversations' on the new platform.
The content is not visible to the world, good idea when it contains personal data.
Click on your Avatar, top right, then click on 'conversations' and take it from there.
If you put your email on an open forum you will likely get loads of spam. But perhaps you like to get loads of spam in which case leave it as is. :geek:

#124 ·
Apparently, Private Messages are now called conversations (bit of a difference semantically - a conversation in a pub is something anyone can drop into - whereas a private message would be akin to passing a note scribbled on a beer mat, you can only read the note if you get the beer mat!) - access conversations by clicking on your profile picture (or, if you don't have a picture, the initial letter of your user name) at the top right of the page and select "Conversations" from the drop down

I have sent you the PDF.

#125 · (Edited)

Hi Loptap, would appreciate a pdf copy of the handbook, many thanks.

#129 ·
In a word "Oh, Bloody Hell! Whoops!!!"
I really cannot believe that - I am a pedant - and as I have said before, I also suffer from CDO* - how did this get past me?

Also discovered tonight that my new version of Microsoft Office on my macBook doesn't play nicely with the pagination - so reverted to my Windows computer. Also realised the ad on back of front cover was corrupted in Version 4.2 - so fixed that as well!

This is what it was SUPPOSED to look like (screenshot from Word)

Well, at least it shows that the cover (along with every thing else) was self created!!!

Version 4.3 now available for anybody who also wants to own up to mild pedantry or CDO

Regards
Loptap

* CDO ??? that is exactly the same as OCD but with the letters in correct (alphabetical) order!

#132 ·

#134 ·
Hi
If you can use "Conversations" to drop me your email address I will send you a copy

Just in case you haven't got there yet - "Conversations" is the private messaging on SN - you can access it by clicking on your profile picture (the big "N" at the top right) and selecting "Conversions" (see the attachment)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.