Ships Nostalgia banner

Radio Operators Handbook - PDF

50K views 181 replies 70 participants last post by  Robert M Hughes 
#1 · (Edited)
People still keep hitting this old post - and then request a copy of the handbook by replying and inserting email addresses in the thread...

* * * THIS IS NOT NOT RECOMMENDED AS PLACING EMAIL ADDRESSES IN AN OPEN FORUM LEAVES YOU POTENTIALLY EXPOSED TO AUTOMATIC SCAMMER PROCESSES!

THE BEST WAY TO REQUEST A COPY OF THE HANDBOOK(S) (THERE ARE NOW THREE DIFFERENT VERSIONS) IS TO START A CONVERSATION WITH ME (SIMPLY CLICK ON MY AVATAR AT THE LEFT OF THIS POST AND SELECT 'Start Conversation'). I WILL THEN ATTACH THE HANDBOOK TO A REPLY TO THAT CONVERSATION. * * *

Please also see my other posts about the multiple versions of the Handbook that are now available.

If anyone would like an electronic copy of the Post Office Radio Operators Handbook (1975 Edition), drop me a Private Message and I will forward it to you.

I am not posting/uploading/attaching the file because I do not want to upset anyone over copyright.

I have painfully reconstructed the handbook using Microsoft Word/Excel along with image capture and copy/paste to produce a faithful copy which is actually all my own work (I have both the Word version and the PDF) - I will forward the PDF. Even the pagination is faithfully reproduced!

There are scanned versions of the handbook around but I started with the objective of creating a "clean" copy for my personal archive (threw my original away many years ago when we emigrated to South Africa)

See less See more
#2 ·
Just wanted to post how happy I am with the PDF that was sent. It has been a long time since I had access to the handbook so its good to have a copy again. Thanks Loptap - much appreciated. (Thumb)

Regards
Hugh

#10 ·
You need to contact member Loptap by Ships Nostalgia Private Message or Ships Nostalgia email and request that he send you a copy of the PDF version of the Radio Operators Handbook. You need to include your normal email address so that he can attach the .pdf do***ent to an email - the SN does not permit attachments to its emails or PMs. Hope this is clear.

#9 ·
Jose,

Member Loptap has recreated the old - Post Office Radio Operators Handbook -
which was used by us in the UK and which we had to study for our tickets. It was a complete operating and regulations book, of operating procedures and Q codes, anything to do with Radio station operation. You possibly had something similar in Portugal.

Neville - Hawkey01

#17 ·
The first draft started in 2012. I actually bought a second hand copy on eBay but it was really manky so I started to scan pages so that I could extract the text - that process took a really long time but only 'now and then' effort. The scanned text had to be checked/corrected as there were occasional scan errors!

I spent a LONG time trying to find the font for the cover (it is Albertus MT Standard) and a LONG LONG time getting the pagination correct. At one time, before I found the real thing, I was actually trying to create my own font for the cover?

Many of the diagrams and tables are hand built (the Zones and Hours of Service diagram exists in my filing as an Excel spreadsheet which I then converted to a jpg (or possibly a PDF - I have both) to insert into the handbook. The wiring diagrams and block diagrams in the sample papers were hand created in Word!!

After all that - whenever I saved the do***ent as a pdf the box on the Redifon advert on page 2 ALWAYS distorted (the box is actually two components - a full box with the Redifon logo positioned on top of it!!) - after about six months of inactivity I came back to it last week and found a fix...
...and so I am done!

I didn't really know if anyone else would be interested - I am a pedant who suffers from CDO (that's the same as OCD - but the letters are in the CORRECT ORDER); my wife would say I am anally retentive! - but thought I'd mention it on SN.

So far, sixteen people have asked for a copy - and that is, really, quite gratifying!

#26 ·
If anyone would like an electronic copy of the Post Office Radio Operators Handbook (1975 Edition), drop me a Private Message and I will forward it to you.
I have now emailed over 30 copies of the "Handbook for Radio Operators"

So, and as an after-thought, if anyone notices errors or typos and feels strongly enough to want them corrected then drop me an email (you have my email address) and if there are enough requests over the next couple of months or so then I'll look to do an update - and I'll go as far as to say that I'll send the update to any pedant (sorry... anyone (Jester)) that notified me of any required correction

Can't say fairer than that!

#27 ·
Thanks for the copy - what a memory kicker that was !!
Excellent piece of work - well done Sir.
Really liked the section on the exam contents - brought a smile to my face and I could immediately recollect my favourite lessons at Fleetwood Nautical College '72-75 were the fault finding and morse receiving.

Transistors? They're the future !!
JOC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.