Ships Nostalgia banner

Radio Operators Handbook - PDF

50K views 181 replies 70 participants last post by  Robert M Hughes 
#1 · (Edited)
People still keep hitting this old post - and then request a copy of the handbook by replying and inserting email addresses in the thread...

* * * THIS IS NOT NOT RECOMMENDED AS PLACING EMAIL ADDRESSES IN AN OPEN FORUM LEAVES YOU POTENTIALLY EXPOSED TO AUTOMATIC SCAMMER PROCESSES!

THE BEST WAY TO REQUEST A COPY OF THE HANDBOOK(S) (THERE ARE NOW THREE DIFFERENT VERSIONS) IS TO START A CONVERSATION WITH ME (SIMPLY CLICK ON MY AVATAR AT THE LEFT OF THIS POST AND SELECT 'Start Conversation'). I WILL THEN ATTACH THE HANDBOOK TO A REPLY TO THAT CONVERSATION. * * *

Please also see my other posts about the multiple versions of the Handbook that are now available.

If anyone would like an electronic copy of the Post Office Radio Operators Handbook (1975 Edition), drop me a Private Message and I will forward it to you.

I am not posting/uploading/attaching the file because I do not want to upset anyone over copyright.

I have painfully reconstructed the handbook using Microsoft Word/Excel along with image capture and copy/paste to produce a faithful copy which is actually all my own work (I have both the Word version and the PDF) - I will forward the PDF. Even the pagination is faithfully reproduced!

There are scanned versions of the handbook around but I started with the objective of creating a "clean" copy for my personal archive (threw my original away many years ago when we emigrated to South Africa)

See less See more
#61 · (Edited)
Google tells me that the PMG handbook was first published in 1914 and that the 1974 version was the 14th Edition. On average that would indicate a new edition about every 5 years but I am not sure that would be too reliable a guide.

An Amazon advert HERE says that the Blue-fronted version was issued in 1961 and that the full title was General Post Office Handbook for Radio Operators: Working Installations Licensed By Her Majesty"s Postmaster General Rg.67. That suggests to me that the Orange-fronted version might have been later, and not earlier as I suppose. I would have done my training on the version before the one shown on Amazon.

Since the book was an official do***ent (it was an HMSO publication) it ought to be possible to identify the dates of issue of each edition.

A mystery for SN's super-sleuths to solve.

#64 · (Edited)
Bit more searching on Google found the elusive Orange version of 1968 Here
and THIS undated but clearly later (see the hugely increased price to £3.50 from the 33p Orange version) Blue-cover one.

Still doesn't reveal the date and the colour of the one I used in 1958. The search goes on!

#65 ·
Vaguely recollect a buff coloured handbook when I started at college but a new version came out during the course. Changes I remember are the dropping of two phonetic alphabets, (able, baker charlie etc. and Amsterdam, Baltimore, Casablanca etc.) in favour of Alpha, Bravo, Charlie etc. I think the time changed from 0000 to 2359, to 0001 to 2400.

#68 ·
The one I studied with, which I think we can now guess is the 1961 edition, only had the one phonetic alphabet (...Delta, Echo, Foxtrot...) - so that kinda fits your timeline.

Buff coloured? That's a new one on me - and possibly impossible to find now?

#74 ·
I finally found my photograph from last year and I have to correct myself. It wasn't blue, it was orange. (Well … it WAS the sixties.)
I think the blue cover one is the PDF version I got via this thread (for which I again offer many thanks.) That must have come later as the price it shows is £3.50 (some kind of new fangled money had come in after the sixties .. :eek:)

Here's the photograph of the dreaded Handbook and Marine Radio Manual I clutched unknowingly as I climbed the steps of Leith Nautical back when Henry Robb's yard still built ships at the back of the college. I've also found the book (there's a lot of books around here) and it says:

Rg.67. 1968 Edition

Price: Six Shillings Net. (Whaaa)

Attachments

#82 ·
Frank Mayoh was Vice Principal of MNC Greenhithe in the early 80's when I was Engineer Cadet there. I understand he had a distinguished war record in either Bomber or Coastal Command. Don't know if he's still with us?

#77 ·
Buff certainly rings true with me but I hesitated to say that earlier on, because so many of the HMSO publications that I dealt with ashore in later life, when serving on various government committees, were published in that colour. I wasn't sure that my 'buff' memory wasn't substituting one of those for the PMG Handbook of my youf.

If I accept that it was coloured buff, now all I need to know is when it was published. Does the National Archive, The House of Commons Library, the British Museum or some body, such keep copies of all HMSO publications? Anyone well-informed on such matters?

#79 ·
Hi Guys
Apart from the darkish blue Handbook dated 1961 that I used for my PMG courses, I have three others that over the years that I managed to acquire at Ham Radio boot sales. The first for wireless operators is a relatively thin book, issued by HM Post Master General, is "Buff" coloured, cost 9 old pence and is dated1938. Interestingly it is annotated throughout in pencil and carriers the owners name? GV Monk Dec 1939. The other two are light blue, one lighter than the other and were both issued in 1975. One was issued under the authority of the Home Office at a cost of 95 P, the second cost £4.50 and was issued by the Department of Trade and Industry. I will have to keep a look out to see whether I can add an orange one to my collection.

Best regards to all

John

#86 ·
I have two copies -Orange Cover 1968 Edition/second impression sept 1971.

Blue cover Dated 1975 (fourteenth edition)

And was given a 1938 edition (reprinted 1943)-Buff Cover with the name of J Morrison (a previous owner) written on inside cover.

Have also recently seen a 1961 edition with a blue cover

#88 ·
joe-ei5ge

have a blue cover 1975 14th edition, second impression 1978 absolutely mint and just found my orange cover 1968 13th edition, previous owner Gerry HALL ,Brookfield, Limerick.......lots of scribbles must have been during exam period...sad state still it was our bible ha ha

#92 ·
No problem! I am pleased that you like it! When I started with it, it was purely out of self-interest (and, I guess, not a little obsessive, compulsive behaviour (LOL) ). However, I too was pleased with the final "product" - and wondered if any one else might be interested? They were! I think I have sent it on over 50, getting on for 60 times - so I am very pleased with the interest!

#93 ·
Re PMG Hand Book for Radio Operators - in1944, the book I used was a buff cover as in carboard. I also recall that two of the technical books we used was issued by Govt, from a dim memory, was titled "The Admiralty book for Radio Communication, Volumes 1 and 2" I believe that Lord Louis Mountbatten had a hand in its publication.

I join all of the other thanks Loptap has received! Thanks

#94 ·
ISTR my handbook in 1962 was dark blue - I don't know where it is now which is strange as I still have some of the technical books from the course (Scroggie anyone?) but I did buy a 1975 light blue copy on our auction website. I recall that the Marconi ad on the inside back page was the "Well paid to see the world" where the newer one is "Build your career with Marconi Marine". It didn't take me too long to find out that the promotional ladder had only one rung on it!
Best regards - Martin ZL2MC

#95 ·
It is exactly one year ago today when I posted this message - and at some time in the ensuing weeks I said that if anyone found any errors I would consolidate the repairs and issue an updated copy - there were a couple, but not very many and I will be mailing out Version 4 today - sort of a birthday update.

I have also, this morning, discovered some visitors messages that I have not responded to (i don't normally look at my profile page!) - please accept my apologies if you think I have ignored you - I'll go through the messages today and get a copy out to you!

All told, I've sent out 65 copies - that number should go up a little today!

Kind Regards
Loptap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.