Ships Nostalgia banner

Radio Operators Handbook - PDF

50K views 181 replies 70 participants last post by  Robert M Hughes 
#1 · (Edited)
People still keep hitting this old post - and then request a copy of the handbook by replying and inserting email addresses in the thread...

* * * THIS IS NOT NOT RECOMMENDED AS PLACING EMAIL ADDRESSES IN AN OPEN FORUM LEAVES YOU POTENTIALLY EXPOSED TO AUTOMATIC SCAMMER PROCESSES!

THE BEST WAY TO REQUEST A COPY OF THE HANDBOOK(S) (THERE ARE NOW THREE DIFFERENT VERSIONS) IS TO START A CONVERSATION WITH ME (SIMPLY CLICK ON MY AVATAR AT THE LEFT OF THIS POST AND SELECT 'Start Conversation'). I WILL THEN ATTACH THE HANDBOOK TO A REPLY TO THAT CONVERSATION. * * *

Please also see my other posts about the multiple versions of the Handbook that are now available.

If anyone would like an electronic copy of the Post Office Radio Operators Handbook (1975 Edition), drop me a Private Message and I will forward it to you.

I am not posting/uploading/attaching the file because I do not want to upset anyone over copyright.

I have painfully reconstructed the handbook using Microsoft Word/Excel along with image capture and copy/paste to produce a faithful copy which is actually all my own work (I have both the Word version and the PDF) - I will forward the PDF. Even the pagination is faithfully reproduced!

There are scanned versions of the handbook around but I started with the objective of creating a "clean" copy for my personal archive (threw my original away many years ago when we emigrated to South Africa)

See less See more
#136 ·
To Loptap:

Please send handbook to XXXXXXX

Thank you.
Hi
You shouldn't really put your email address on an open forum - even in a semi disguised form - that's why I ask for a Private Message - now called "Conversations". I would suggest that you edit your post above and remove your email address.

I have sent the Handbook to you
Regards,
Loptap

#137 ·
If anyone would like an electronic copy of the Post Office Radio Operators Handbook (1975 Edition), drop me a Private Message and I will forward it to you.

I am not posting/uploading/attaching the file because I do not want to upset anyone over copyright.

I have painfully reconstructed the handbook using Microsoft Word/Excel along with image capture and copy/paste to produce a faithful copy which is actually all my own work (I have both the Word version and the PDF) - I will forward the PDF. Even the pagination is faithfully reproduced!

There are scanned versions of the handbook around but I started with the objective of creating a "clean" copy for my personal archive (threw my original away many years ago when we emigrated to South Africa)
Please send me a pdf format of the Post Office Radio Operators Handbook
Thanks
Geoff

#139 ·
Please send me a pdf format of the Post Office Radio Operators Handbook...
I have started a Conversation with you - please see and reply

You can get to your conversations from your home page by clicking on your profile picture Yellow Sleeve Photograph White Line
and selecting "Conversations"

OR

by clicking on my profile picture
(not this - it is just a screenshot) in the sidebar and selecting "Start Conversation" (but if you did that you wouldn't be responding to the conversation I started)
Regards
Loptap

#140 · (Edited)
Re-posting to reinforce the requirement to NOT put email addresses in post replies asking for copies of the Handbook for Radio Operators (or, indeed, any other post!)

* IMPORTANT *

If you want a copy of the Handbook for Radio Operators DO NOT ADD YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IN A REPLY TO THIS POST...
Instead start a Conversation with me and give me your email address in the conversation

It is very easy - click on my profile picture in the sidebar and select "Start Conversation". To get back to your conversations at any time, click on YOUR profile picture at the top right of the screen snd select Conversations.

As the Americans say EZ PZ (us English can't say that correctly!)

#141 ·
* IMPORTANT *
If you want a copy of the Handbook for Radio Operators DO NOT ADD YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IN A REPLY TO THIS POST...
Instead start a Conversation with me and give me your email address in the conversation

It is very easy - click on my profile picture in the sidebar and select "Start Conversation". To get back to your conversations at any time, click on YOUR profile picture at the top right of the screen snd select Conversations.

As the Americans say EZ PZ (us English can't say that correctly!)
There is now ANOTHER VERSION of the Handbook - I have achieved what I initially started out to do - I have an electronic copy of the 1961 Edition (1962 Reprint) - which is "probably" the version I originally studied.
Actually, I now have two versions of this - the pure 1962 reprint and an updated version ("pseudo hand written notes" to incorporate Appendix 9, which was released in 1965). Of course, I also have a PDF of Appendix 9!!

So, from now on, if you want an electronic copy of the Handbook for Radio Operators you need to state 1975 or 1961 or 1961-amended version (and, yes, you can have both/all!). I will include Appendix 9 with any copy of the 1961 version.

Still haven't managed to get hold of an orange edition - I might still consider doing this - but I am also conscious of how much effort (more than expected) to convert my 1975 word do***ent to the 1961 version!

Oh, and by the way - if you like what I have done here - please click the
below - I am trying to improve my profile points !!! ?

#144 · (Edited)
To be pedantic it is closer to Bowdlerisation than bastardisation - even then it wants me to use a z instead of an s.
As I have mentioned elsewhere, it is possible to have a 'white list'. The old incarnation of SN managed the issue quite quickly. This company do not seem to be bothered.
The best work round is to leave a space in the middle of the word - doc ument, and others deemed to be offensive.

#146 ·
I would beg to differ - Bowdlerisation is the process that is used, bastardisation is the result - anything that interrupts the flow of the "reader" is, in itself "offensive".
To be fair, it doesn't seem as bad now as it did when I first encountered it - when I first noticed it (after a period of abeyance) it seem there were more stars in SN than in the heavens above (though that might have been because I was sailing in "Stormy Waters"

#149 ·

I would be appreciated if

I would be appreciated if you can send me a copy of the Post Office Radio Operators Handbook (1975 Edition) to clipper228@gmail.com
Ex R/O Ben

#150 ·
I would be appreciated if you can send me a copy of the Post Office Radio Operators Handbook (1975 Edition) to xxxxxxxxxxxx
Ex R/O Ben
Hi ClipperOne
You shouldn't really post your email address on an open forum - that creates the risk of you being spammed, phished or worse.Hence the reason for asking people to contact me using "Conversations" (one-to-one private messaging) - you can get to Conversations by clicking on my avatar (to the left) and selecting "Start a Conversation". Suggest that you edit your post to remove your email address.

It looks as though you have come from my original posting - note that there is also now a 1961 Edition (with 1965 Update) available if you'd prefer
Regards

#152 ·

#155 ·
I found a copy of this on my Internet Archive of all things interesting to R/O's.

A shortcut to my stash of videos and mp3 recordings of ship and coast station Morse is:

DR
djringjr
Thank you very much for your prompt reply. That's just what I wanted!
rogermfm

#153 ·

#154 ·
I found a copy of this on my Internet Archive of all things interesting to R/O's.

A shortcut to my stash of videos and mp3 recordings of ship and coast station Morse is:

DR

#160 ·
Price 33p! Cor I could have bought a packet of **** er cigarettes for that :D
The 1961 Edition was even cheaper 6 Shillings or 30 new pence ( as they were called on transition ). I don’t know, at the time it seemed I had to pay a fortune for text books (I was also doing an ONC (Electrical Engineering) at the same time so also had the books for that). Other notable financial memories from the time - I was paying £4/0/0 for digs (£4/10/0 if I stayed the weekend) and the bus fare from Ocean Road (South Shields) to SSMT&C was 4d (1.66p !!! )

#170 ·

#171 ·

Hi Loptap,i too had an original orange cover copy of the handbook but left it in a radio room somewhere many decades ago, Can you please send a copy of your PDF to me at r.haddock@btinternet.com.
As a matter of interest i have a copy of the new version signed by both of the Authors Graham Lees and Willy Williamson (A fellow member of the ROA) with grateful thanks in advance, take care best 73`s

#174 ·
Hi Loptap,i too had an original orange cover copy of the handbook but left it in a radio room somewhere many decades ago, Can you please send a copy of your PDF to me at r.haddock@btinternet.com.
As a matter of interest i have a copy of the new version signed by both of the Authors Graham Lees and Willy Williamson (A fellow member of the ROA) with grateful thanks in advance, take care best 73`s
Could you please send pdf to K2PHD@arrl.net

#176 ·
Well, that is very much a chicken and egg statement - if you look at another of my posts (dated 26 July 2021 - link below) you will see that I have created three separate versions…

1961 Edition (Reprinted 1962)
1965 Appendix 9 which updates the 1961 Edition
1968 Edition (Second Impression, incorporating Amendment No. 1, September 1971)
1975 Edition (5th Impression1981)

These are coloured, first - blue; second - orange; third - blue! So, depending on your start point blue is before orange, but orange is before blue. The 1965 Appendix 9 is simply plain paper - no cover). And yes, I have had original copies of all three though I eventually dumped the 1975 edition because it was so dreadfully tatty.

My original offer (offers?) still stands - if anyone wants one (or more) of the pdfs then simply start a conversation with me indicating the version(s) requested…
…do NOT request copies by responding to this post - that is not secure!

#173 ·

#177 ·
Just to add to the confusion there is a further version that also has a blue cover but with updated graphics. This is the 1985 Edition.

I recently purchased this version from a vintage bookshop in Shrewsbury (not a town that is noted for its Radio and Maritime connections?)

This version (the 15th edition) was produced by British Telecom International and printed by Lloyds of London Press. Previous versions were published by HMSO.

A quick scan of the index indicates that it appears to contain all of the information that you would expect, with the addition of a section on Maritime Satellite Services.

Despite still being at sea when this version was published I wasn’t aware of its existence and it never made it to any of the ships that I sailed on between 1985 & 1989.

An eBay search throws up another copy of the handbook if anyone wants one (and at less than half the price I paid for it!)

Kevin

#179 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.