Ships Nostalgia banner

Guaranteed "random" radio inspections......

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  BobMac123 
#1 ·
Does anyone recall the guaranteed "spot-checks" that were a feature of Cape Town in the '70s?

Were there any other ports where a "random" radio survey was guaranteed?

I don't remember any.

#2 ·
When serving on the Cunard cargo ships manned by Brocklebank Line R/Os I got surveyed three times on three different ships in Boston - Mass. that is, not Lincolnshire. That may count. One of them was actually on a Brocks ship (Maturata) on Anchor Line charter in 1969 and we were stuck in a dock strike. The surveyor had seen me a few months before on Cunard's Samaria and could not figure out that I was actually working for the same company.

#7 · (Edited)
I struggled with the spelling, Tony........ CURRY does seem right..... But perhaps not.

:)

A few more names you may recall.......

Arthur Orum
Angus Mcdonald
Ken Fawcett (the man if you wanted help not speeches)
Bill (Sparkie) Mullarkey..
Mike Norton
Ken(?) WIlliamson

Jenny the gopher...... Worked in the Cunard Kremlin since Nelson was a sea cadet.

Dr Entwistle...... Drove a posh sports car but I can't remember the make.

Frank Butler...... Ex Bosun with Port Line...... handled the signing on/off do***entation...... Top man.

#9 ·
That's the one......

70's eh?

I'm not surprised.

I believe she was a magistrate at one stage.
A story did the rounds that she was called upon to give assistance and support to a very inebriated seafarer one New Years Eve and got him back to his ship.... with hilarious consequences etc etc.

God bless her.

#10 ·
A few more names you may recall.......

Arthur Orum
Angus Mcdonald
Ken Fawcett (the man if you wanted help not speeches)

I remember all three of them. In addition to Bill Curry the only other name I recall is Gordon Caddy. He did not like me and I did not like him. Arthur Orum interviewed me when I joined the Company in 1964 and then Ben Lonsdale signed the whole thing off. They were all dedicated and good men.

#20 ·
Hi Tony . Roger Latham here. I joined Cunard/Brocks early 1965 so must have gone through a similar interview! Strange how I don’t think we ever met but must have spoken on GWZM many times. I must check my diaries sometime!
I got to know Gordon Caddy very well as he often came aboard ships I was sailing. He was very thorough and remember him looking into the bulkhead wiring cabinet on one new ship build and tugging at all the wires as the person was crimping them to make sure they were crimped properly – he found a loose one too !

#12 ·
The "inspections" were actually what is known as "Portstate control inspections"- under SOLAS the "port" state, (as opposed to the "flag" state) is entitled to do random inspections of ships in their port.

I've been on both ends....and I've seen some real shockers...to the point we detained the ship - batteries stuffed, antennas rusted, tx'ers and a/a not working, etc...

#13 ·
It was sad to see it (in those few I attended as Harry Guilder's hand holder while whiling away a month helping out at East Ham) that one or two of those bad examples flew a red duster. However the worst was Ocean Energy, Indian flag and officered (a huge compliment using the ex passenger saloon as the officers' dining saloon). Ships staff had moved the radio room entirely without regard to observing any safety regulation or by the nature of the connections made not those of Mr. Ohm either - I did have a great curry 'though.

#14 ·
Yes Adelaide 1967. Was just about to go ashore all dressed up. In walks the RI with his bag of tricks. Had me checking all freqs MF/HF, batteries, logs, aerials, the lot. Four hours later forget going ashore. Pubs closed at 6pm in those days :)

#18 ·
A good memory about Frank Dunn is that his parents owned The Gordon Bar in Greenock. At that time and for many years previously Brocklebank's had sent their R/Os to James Watt College for their radar tickets. It was almost compulsory to drink in there and it was pretty much the Brocklebank Embassy. I personally spent a lot of nights in there along with the other two Brocks men on my course. Probably spent too much time actually because it was only with two weeks to go that I woke up and smelled the coffee, instead of the Tennents, and realised that I had better pass this ticket and just managed to do so. Very nice family the Dunns.

#19 ·
Yep Hobart 1963 , RI tried to collar me as I took off ashore, told me that they (the ozzies) had been monitoring our frequency wobble (QRI) ? just after we had sailed from NZ and if I did,nt do something about it they would prevent us from sailing. The main TX, (mf only) was a fugitive from Noahs ark and I told the RI, that although I worked for the USS I did,nt own the TX and I considered Hobart a pleasant port to spend time in anyway. Nothing further happened and we sailed on time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.