Ships Nostalgia banner

SN Member Skeds & Special Events Stations on Amateur Radio Bands

2M views 67 replies 26 participants last post by  johnvvc 
#1 ·
A few members have asked me to create a thread on SN in order for the large number of radio amateurs we have on SN to maybe arrange skeds with eachother and suchlike. Also, notice of maritime related special event stations can be posted to this thread.
So here it is.

Andy

#32 ·
T1154/R1155 etc vintage activity 6th Feb.

VMARS announced an AM net for 6/2/16 0800 onwards, 3615, to try and get some of the 100 or so known T1154s on air again. As these sets were hardly ever used on R/T I proposed CW activity that evening starting at 1830 around 3570. Its not necessarily a net but QSOs with vintage gear if possible. I'll have my T1154 on air so be prepared for some drift and chirp.
73, Andrew

#34 ·
Trouble trying to post

Ahoy! I want to post a msg but can't seem to determine whether to go through the "reply to post" or find the ever-so-elusive "start new thread" route. What I want to do is let the amateur radio guys (especially those that were brass pounders on ships) of an upcoming special event from RCA's old WCC/CHATHAM RADIO honoring the anniversary of RCA's first day of ship-to-shore radiotelegraphy 95 years ago. We will have several old-time CW ops that actually worked at WCC as well as other coastal radio stations. So, please bail me out with specific instructions of how to post using the "sticky" system designed for that purpose. Than you in advance...
R S RYDER

#37 ·
CR6LH - José Luís-CT1GZB, Carlos Cortês-CT1CSY e Rafael-CT2JXT are going
to participate in ILLW 2016 International Lighthouse Lightship Weekend,
with the special callsign CR6LH, days 20 and 21 of August 2016, from Cabo
Espichel Lighthouse, with follow references:
ILLW: PT-0005
DFP: FES-11
DPRN: FF-03 (CTFF-03) Natural Park of Arrábida
ARLHS: POR-009
PFFP (Portuguese Lighthouses & Beacons Plaque): PF-049
And hope to be active in the most number of HF bands possible in SSB, PSK31 and CW
QSL: Bureau or Direct to CT1GZB

#38 ·
The Radio Officers Association Amateur Radio Society (ROARS) has a new-ish sked on Tuesdays which is notionally for members but in reality welcomes all former R/O's as the intention is to keep CW and morse alive. These are the details:
New ROARS Sked on Tuesdays
NEW RAGCHEW(TUES)DAY SKED

We would like to propose the following new sked to encourage more members to go on the air for a leisurely CW chat as we used to do during a slack watch at sea. This will provide an on air meeting place and time to connect with colleagues/ friends which we don’t have at the moment.

Please note that this is not a Net and there will be no Net Controller. However for the first few weeks there will be a couple of us waiting in the wings to help things along. As a matter of courtesy, QSOs should proceed at the speed of the slower operator. Once a QSO is established please QSY Up or down to make room for others to make a call.

SKED DETAILS

WHEN Commencing Tuesday Sept. 6th and weekly thereafter from 1000 – 1100 Local time.

Call Freqs: 3538 KHz and 7017 KHz.

Call format: CQ ROA DE MYCALL.

Exchange: RST + Op Name + (optional) Membership Number. + QSY +/- KHz.

Call Speed: What you are comfortable with. (Speed of slower Operator)

Topics: Your choice of Topic.

Duration: As long as you like.

#40 ·
Maritime Radio Day

On the 14th & 15th of April 2018 the MRD – Maritime Radio Day event is being held. This involves ham radio stations from all over the world with a maritime connection working each other on cw. This connection may be merely an interest in things maritime or they may be ex-seagoing or Coast Station operators or technic al staff. They can use their own ham calls or use specially allocated calls where these are available, these calls may include the callsign of the Coast Station(s) they worked at. When I last checked GB0GKA and GB0GLD had registered to participate, other ex-Coast Station operators will be on air using their own calls. Some well known calls like DAN, DAO and DHS will also be on air.

For more information see:-

http://www.mrd.seefunker.eu/mrd_history.php

I will be operating GB0GLV like I did last year. Hope to work some of you!

Now must go and polish my cw, I’m not very QRL these days……

#43 ·
ZM50GW remembering Wahine ZMGW

Throughout April 2018, ZM50GW is on air from Auckland, marking the 50th anniversary of the sinking of TEV Wahine ZMGW.

Operations are CW and SSB on 80, 40 and 20 metres. Check DX clusters for latest frequencies.

This is the first in a series of 3 special event stations marking maritime tragedies of 1968.

Details, including QSL info for ZM50GW are at maritimeradio.org/zm50gw

#44 ·
Still 2 weeks of operation left for the GKA 90th Anniversary Stations:
GB0GKA from nr Tiverton, operated by Tony/G3ZRJ
GB0GKB from Burnham on Sea, operated by Larry/G4HLN
GB0GKC from Weston super Mare, operated by Pete/G3TJE.
All ex-GKA R/Os.
Nearly 1000 QSOs between all stations made already, including many ex-R/Os and a couple of /MM stations. Further information on the qrz.com page under each callsign.
Larry +

#46 ·
They are stations that are communicating with covert agents inside countries where they have been assigned. The numbers are encrypted code which give instructions to the covert operator and are also results (locations of dead drops , times of transmissions, and etc.) sent by that operator to their handlers.

These number stations can be CW or voice.

#48 ·
Thanks for posting the reminder Larry.

I will be on air signing GB0GLV as usual. My antennas are in a rather sad state after the winds we had over the last few weeks but hopefully I’ll get a long wire of some sort set up before the day. I have my trusty hf vertical which always withstands the high winds but that’s not particularly effective... The preferred frequencies are:-

1.824 kHz, 3520 kHz, 7020 kHz, 10118 kHz, 14052 kHz, 21052 kHz and 28052 kHz (+/- qrm)

Hope to see as many of you as possible. If you’re not a licensed ham but have a short wave receiver have a listen on around these frequencies and see who you can hear, there’s a link to a list of participants at the bottom of this page:-

http://www.mrd.seefunker.eu/mrd_registry.php

If you don't possess a suitable receiver there are lots of SDR receivers that can be accessed via the internet, one I occasionally use is this one, just input any frequency then you can tune up or down a few kc/s:-

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

73’s de
John
Gw3vvc
(ex GTZM/GKL/GLV)

#49 ·
An early heads-up.

Between 1st and 28th July 2020, GB100GKU will be operating from my home QTH of Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the long-range maritime radio service in the UK, which commenced from Devizes Radio (GKU) in 1920.

Operation will be mainly cw although some SSB contacts will take place as required. Bands between 10m-40m will be used, but I am hoping to get a temporary aerial erected to allow me to use 80m if possible.

A special QSL card will be issued if required.

This operation forms part of the 100th anniversary celebrations which also include the publication of a book about the history of GKA which is due for release in July. More details on how to order will be published shortly.

Sadly, due to COVID-19 issues we have had to cancel/postpone other events such as the staff reunion, GKA exhibition and illustrated talks to local radio and history clubs. However, normal service will hopefully be resumed in due course.

Please visit the website www.portisheadradio.co.uk for regular updates.

Larry +

#53 ·
Advance notice of another special event station - GB4CKS will be operating from the QTH of myself (G4HLN) between 1st-14th November to commemorate the 85th anniversary of the passing of Australian aviation pioneer Sir Charles Kingsford Smith (after whom Sydney Airport is named). He was lost when his aircraft "Lady Southern Cross" came down off the coast of Burma in November 1935.

My link to him is through my XYL, who is related to him through ancestry - so there is a family connection!

Operation will mainly be on cw on bands between 10m and 40m, with a special QSL card available for all contacts.

Larry +

#58 ·
Hope to be on air signing GB0GLV, ~200 watts into a Cushcraft MA5V vertical - won't be setting the airwaves alight but I always enjoy MRD!

The following from the MRD pages:-

"DL0MCM plan to be QRV on the 630m band on this date as well. Although this does not directly affect the MRD, it should be an additional offer. Yesterday I was on the traditional ship with Jürgen DF7TT and we have them Transmission technology tested positive.

An SNS 577 marine radio emergency transmitter is used. It delivers 50W on the (drawn) crystal frequency of 473.7 kHz.

Activity times: 04/14 19: 00-05: 00 UTC April 15 19: 00-22: 00 UTC CQ the first 10 minutes of every full hour"

Dust down that old Atalanta and have a listen!

#59 ·
On November 13 and 14, 2021 the Greek Amateur Radio Team DX Plus will inaugurate a new annual activity weekend which remembers the Coast Radio Station services which were once found all over the world, a service which traced their history right back to the founding fathers of radio and most of which are no longer active.
The Greek team will be active for 48 hours with the callsign SX1SVA, remembering the Greek Coast Radio Station Athinai Radio, callsign SVA, and the team will be staffed by former SVA Radio Officers operating from one of SVA’s former sites.
The DX Plus team invite Amateur Radio Operators and Amateur Radio Clubs to join them in this new initiative and set up special event station representing the former Coast Radio Stations close to them. Clubs and individuals able to participate in this event are requested to indicate their activity to sv1rp@yahoo.com.
The aim of the event is to remember the memory of these former stations by “talking” to each other, other participating stations and other Radio Amateurs, as many stations as possible, but the event is also aimed at Short Wave Listeners and wireless operators who are QSL card collectors. The event will run on the HF bands using CW.
Further information about this new event can be found the event website.
https://www.amateurradio.eu/.../new-...-international...

I'm hoping to operate GB0GKB over the weekend, although my operating times will be limited.

Larry +

#62 · (Edited)
I am no Radio Operator except for VHF and formerly U.K.licensed R/T Operator G5445 issued 21st Jan 1966 Examining Officer a Mr. Crook (London). Actually that G might be a Q or even a 9, it's hand written and faded.
I have only just come across this string, or perhaps more accurately - paid any attention to it.
Stonehaven radio is of "sentimental" value to me.
Hope you guys keep up the good work that you do - both professionally and in the Amateur "Ham" domain.
What an incredibly interesting string. !!!!!!!!
For me, - a real eye opener - so shall proceed with caution from now on.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.