Kuwait Shipping or UASC - Page 33 - Ships Nostalgia
07:04

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Kuwait Shipping or UASC

User Tag List

Old 8th March 2020, 22:28

Hi Brian, yup I was a lecky and even though I wasn't keen on the ruskies and my heart sank when Peter in Liverpool phoned to tell me I was going an another one they did have a charisma about them, the big ruskies with the raised bridge worked out OK, the void space was turned into a makeshift gym area.

Hi Engine Serang, I visited the space museum in Washington and like you I thought the space capsules reminded me of the switchgear on a Russian, they where big and chunky switches that almost needed 2 hands to operate and compared with the US capsules it was like entering another dimension.

Never did meet up wit Capn Quigley though and we arent related as far as I know.
Old 13th March 2020, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Quigley View Post
Hi Brian, yup I was a lecky and even though I wasn't keen on the ruskies and my heart sank when Peter in Liverpool phoned to tell me I was going an another one they did have a charisma about them, the big ruskies with the raised bridge worked out OK, the void space was turned into a makeshift gym area.

Hi Engine Serang, I visited the space museum in Washington and like you I thought the space capsules reminded me of the switchgear on a Russian, they where big and chunky switches that almost needed 2 hands to operate and compared with the US capsules it was like entering another dimension.

Never did meet up wit Capn Quigley though and we arent related as far as I know.
Hi again Bob, My wife visited the space centre in Houston and yes the phones on the Russian space capsule had phones exactly like the ones in the engineroom of the small Russians
Sailed on all the big Russians before the conversions and of course lots of the small ones, I didn't mind them as there was always a challenge in one way or another, but of course the K Class were a lot better, my first one being the Ibn Rushd new out of Govan with Albie as my 3rd engineer, happy days and many good memories.
Old 13th March 2020, 11:33
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

I love the word challenge. My first trip as second was on the La Mansouriah and my first trip as chief was on the Al Aridiah, both were challenging and proved someone in Liverpool did not like me.
I've been on numerous management courses and listened to modern management terms like Teamwork, Team Building, Morale, Esprit de Corps etc, we had all that in 1970 and also a sense of achievement followed by a good pour-out. If the Russians didn't break you they made a man of you. Later in life when things were not going so well and the job was falling to bits around me I'd say to myself, It was worse on the Mansouriah (and it was).
Old 13th March 2020, 20:50
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
"my first one being the Ibn Rushd new out of Govan with Albie as my 3rd engineer, happy days and many good memories."

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the mention I am still around and thought of the Ibn Rushd today when I drove over the Erskine Bridge Glasgow taking somebody to a hospital in Glasgow. As you say many happy memories of the maiden voyage, all the families on board during the prolonged stay in Tilbury and the football matches on Sundays with kids and the parties in the Worlds End pub afterwards. Ian Askew 4/E had a shop in Albert Dock Liverpool selling framed cigarette cards but I since heard he emigrated to Australia. One of the best maiden voyages I did with KSC. Keep safe during this unprecedented outbreak.
Albie
Old 14th March 2020, 16:56

Hi Brian

So you sailed with Albie .................. Did you ever hear him sing ?? we encouraged it all the time.

I do remember a few stories from him about the Rushd, just wished I could remember the details of them.
Old 15th March 2020, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbieR View Post
"my first one being the Ibn Rushd new out of Govan with Albie as my 3rd engineer, happy days and many good memories."

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the mention I am still around and thought of the Ibn Rushd today when I drove over the Erskine Bridge Glasgow taking somebody to a hospital in Glasgow. As you say many happy memories of the maiden voyage, all the families on board during the prolonged stay in Tilbury and the football matches on Sundays with kids and the parties in the Worlds End pub afterwards. Ian Askew 4/E had a shop in Albert Dock Liverpool selling framed cigarette cards but I since heard he emigrated to Australia. One of the best maiden voyages I did with KSC. Keep safe during this unprecedented outbreak.
Albie
Hi Albie, Nice to hear from you and that you are still gainfully employed by the Red Cross, its us oldies that have to watch out for this cov 19, however if you are sensible then should be OK.
Roy and Mary Emmas have both passed away now, but yes we had a good bunch of lads on there and even the landlady in those brownstone houses in Govan was part of the fun.
Old 15th March 2020, 11:13

Quote:
Hi Brian

So you sailed with Albie .................. Did you ever hear him sing ?? we encouraged it all the time.

I do remember a few stories from him about the Rushd, just wished I could remember the details of them.
Hi again Bob,
Tony Owens was the purser, Pip Walton the old man,Tony was fun and used to rib Albie with his impediment when Albie was mad he didn't have it, he may have sang but memories fade.We were the last ship to go round the cape before the canal opened again. The Hayan beat us into the gulf from Govan and took our charter to Japan, hence I joined the Ahmadia at Dubai, Jim Wilkie as old man and Gronwen Owen Hughes Chief had a good trip and got engaged to my now Japanese wife of 43 years. Still got the Salton Hot tray the lads got me as an engagement present on the Rushd. Fantastic memories.
Old 15th March 2020, 12:56

Congrats for the 43 years, bet you didn't think the run ashore you had that day was going to be so long lasting.

We encouraged Albie to sing because he was as clear as a bell, he would only consider it when he had emptied a few tins in the bar though.

I'm going to have a look for my old diaries I kept from those days, had the ships and people I sailed with written down. My memory for detail is fading fast but I do remember purser called Tony Owens just cant recall the ship, I think old man was Tommy Wheel and C/E was a friend of Matt Hedley?, cant recall his name but he was a Geordie.
I have a lot of good memories from those times, dont remember a ship that I was unhappy on, even sailing with Cpt Parry didn't dampen the experience.
A 3/E I sailed with when I first joined the merchant on the Bank Line said to me you only remember the good times, the bad memories fade
Old 15th March 2020, 13:42

My location
Bloody 'ell, feel like I am reading my own obituary here!!

Tony Owen was with us out in Cadiz for a while, till they realised there was no food for him to dish out. I believe he ended up co-sharing a flat with Richard "My name is Richard and there is no truth in the rumour I like Dick" Gibbons because he reckoned it was cheaper with two!
Tony was/is a great lad, sailed with him a few times and lots of hilarious tales to tell.

Last edited by AlbieR; 15th March 2020 at 13:47..
Old 15th March 2020, 14:15

Always thought you would move out to Cadiz Albie, you spent so long there even the locals assumed you were a fixture.
Old 15th March 2020, 16:42

My location
Quote:
Always thought you would move out to Cadiz Albie, you spent so long there even the locals assumed you were a fixture.
Aye I knew I'd been there too long when I was invited to a funeral. Been back three times over the years and still a great place. Was there last year for the Feria de Caballero in Jerez, great time renewing my taste for the fino.
Old 16th March 2020, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbieR View Post
Bloody 'ell, feel like I am reading my own obituary here!!

Tony Owen was with us out in Cadiz for a while, till they realised there was no food for him to dish out. I believe he ended up co-sharing a flat with Richard "My name is Richard and there is no truth in the rumour I like Dick" Gibbons because he reckoned it was cheaper with two!
Tony was/is a great lad, sailed with him a few times and lots of hilarious tales to tell.
Used to play cribbage with flunky Gibbon on the Al Atheer his line was my name's Richard but I like Dick. Had a big Scottish junior Grant King he used to smack Richard with the plastic rule on his desk and he would be crying out like a wee girl. Nice fellow though and not too bad a feeder, I have some very good and happy memories of most people I sailed with in KSC & UASC.
Old 16th March 2020, 11:07

Wink

Quote:
Congrats for the 43 years, bet you didn't think the run ashore you had that day was going to be so long lasting.

We encouraged Albie to sing because he was as clear as a bell, he would only consider it when he had emptied a few tins in the bar though.

I'm going to have a look for my old diaries I kept from those days, had the ships and people I sailed with written down. My memory for detail is fading fast but I do remember purser called Tony Owens just cant recall the ship, I think old man was Tommy Wheel and C/E was a friend of Matt Hedley?, cant recall his name but he was a Geordie.
I have a lot of good memories from those times, dont remember a ship that I was unhappy on, even sailing with Cpt Parry didn't dampen the experience.
A 3/E I sailed with when I first joined the merchant on the Bank Line said to me you only remember the good times, the bad memories fade
Besides Malcom Headley & Tom Bailey the only other Geordie chief was Gregory, he was from Blyth and not popular with a few of the lads, he had me pull a unit in Kuwait without getting permission and against my advice,as I was taking off cyl head nuts he came flying down the steps and told me to box up. I threw a spanner at him which just missed him and he scooted back up the steps like rat.
Parry was actually a nice guy, stickler for uniform and his 3" between his short bottoms and his socks plus white gloves on inspections but I got on well with him.
Old 16th March 2020, 12:05

Quote:
I have gone thro my diaries and have ended up with lists of names, most of which I can't fit a face to. Most were good guys and happy ships but the ones I clashed with jump out the pages at me. I do not have happy memories of sailing with Mr Watt and Mr Jacques.
Anyway happy memories of a Far East trip with Tony Owens, paid-off a poor man, but a wiser one.
Old 17th March 2020, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Clark Springhall View Post
Besides Malcom Headley & Tom Bailey the only other Geordie chief was Gregory, he was from Blyth and not popular with a few of the lads, he had me pull a unit in Kuwait without getting permission and against my advice,as I was taking off cyl head nuts he came flying down the steps and told me to box up. I threw a spanner at him which just missed him and he scooted back up the steps like rat.
Parry was actually a nice guy, stickler for uniform and his 3" between his short bottoms and his socks plus white gloves on inspections but I got on well with him.
Can remember one night I went out the bar door to the empty pool due to having far too many beers, Cptn Parry was coming out the stbd acomm door and saw me, stood and gaped at what I was doing so I saluted him with my left hand, couldnt use my right hand for obvious reasons. He was not amused and I got called to his office the next morning for a rollocking. He mentioned something about using the cabin toilets and scolded me severely, in reality the guys said it was because I had not given him the correct salute by using my left hand.
Happy days then
Old 18th March 2020, 07:24

Bob, you must have learned this behaviour in Bank Line.
Engineers could reach the pool without going out the bar door.