'Professional' Second Mate - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
14:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

'Professional' Second Mate

User Tag List

Old 25th November 2013, 00:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1990

My location
Professional 2nd Mate seemed to generate a lot of interest, how about professional 3 Eng, Eh? ....Eh?....Eh?
Old 25th November 2013, 01:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
The person I have named was, in my opinion, a true professional - just as a solicitor, banker, doctor etc would have been.

If I may be allowed to drop in on the thread Derek started ....

I must say that I read his post as above since only the word "Professional" was in inverted commas, and not all three. In any case, I note from an old Navy List that Peter Gildea-Evans was a true blue List One Lieutenant Commander RNR, with seniority of 28 March 1968, so he certainly ended up wearing two and a half stripes in at least one existence!

There's also a P J Gildea-Evans shown on the Electoral Roll for South Norwood SE25 if that is of interest.

Incidentally, I have also to agree with many of the posters who construed Derek's post differently, since I knew many people in the Royal Navy who were very happy in their own skins at a specific level. There's an interesting analogy with airline pilots here, since many flight crew are very content to complete their career as senior first officers rather than captains.

Jack
Correct me if i'm wrong, but a lot of promotions were refused in the RN because the individual just could not afford them, imagine footing the wardroom bill with the "Royals" aboard?
Old 25th November 2013, 14:07
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Being Mate on a 1000 tonner round the coast was good with Rowbothams .. Mate did the de-ballast - tank clean - loading : 2nd Mate did the discharging - ballasting..

Suited me to a tee, especially when on BP charter around the West Coast of Scotland, which we did for nigh on 4 years. Often had a 3 port discharge split, allowing plenty of nights alongside and pints up the road as most ports were daylight only!
Old 26th November 2013, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
Being Mate on a 1000 tonner round the coast was good with Rowbothams .. Mate did the de-ballast - tank clean - loading : 2nd Mate did the discharging - ballasting..

Suited me to a tee, especially when on BP charter around the West Coast of Scotland, which we did for nigh on 4 years. Often had a 3 port discharge split, allowing plenty of nights alongside and pints up the road as most ports were daylight only!
Not anymore, the Mates have to split discharge and load.
Old 26th November 2013, 10:12

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasco View Post
Not anymore, the Mates have to split discharge and load.
Good job I left the sea then!
Left when Rockies flagged to the IOM - best decision ever.
Old 27th November 2013, 11:45
Organisation: Royal Navy

Correct me if i'm wrong, but a lot of promotions were refused in the RN because the individual just could not afford them, imagine footing the wardroom bill with the "Royals" aboard?

An interesting thought, Hamish, but it's not something I have ever come across. Indeed, in my experience, a private income has never been regarded as a necessity for wardroom life in recent times, in the same sense that is frequently thought to be the case for certain army regiments such as the Household Division and some cavalry regiments.

Jack
Old 27th November 2013, 12:00
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
John Winton, who based a lot of his "We joined the Navy" series on his experiences as an Engineer Lt Commander had a story line that revolved around an Officer getting "Passed Over" for promotion to Commander then loseing 18 months seniority that put him back in the frame for promotion which he was awarded at the next promotion round, don't know if its based on fact but he is largely accurate. (The Artful Bodger was, apparrently very pleased with his portrayal!!)

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 27th November 2013, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
Good job I left the sea then!
Left when Rockies flagged to the IOM - best decision ever.
Guess you know they are under Fishers now.

The changes came about because of the hours of work limitations. Suddenly the 2/O found himself doing extra work and the mate found himself sober!!
Kidding aside, it is a far better system, provided the 2/O knows what he is doing.
At first it was the C/O that didn't know. There was one or two who used to leave the discharge plan to the 2/O. One memorable moment I had was a particularly not nice Mate coming on deck at 05:00 asking what the plan was! My reply was You're the Mate, I'm off to bed, goodnight. Not really my way of working but sometimes one has to do what one has to do.
Old 27th November 2013, 18:00

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasco View Post
Guess you know they are under Fishers now
Are there any/many ex-Rowbotham personnel left now?
I guess all of the ships will have gone, even the 'newest' in the fleet when I left like the Oilman & Echoman.
Old 1st January 2014, 19:43

Charlie Pullen was mate on the British Realm in 1969/70 and later was mate on the British Lancer in the early 70's. He had one trip as Master of the British Bombardier (I think) prior to retiring from BP. He stayed at sea afterwards as Mate on one of Hunting's tankers. Prior to being on the 'Realm' he had been on the 'Widad' in the Gulf.