Panocean Shipping & Terminals Ltd - Ships Nostalgia
10:52

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Panocean Shipping & Terminals Ltd

User Tag List

Old 16th June 2006, 23:46
Willie

My location
Panocean Shipping & Terminals Ltd

Would like to hear from any other ex-Panocean shipmates surfing on this site.

Willie Mac
Old 18th June 2006, 19:43

My location
Hi Willie

Did a trip on the Pass of Balmaha - Falmouth April 76 to Stanlow June 76
then on the Post Chaser - round world trip from Rotterdam to Rotterdam Sept 76 to Feb 77 as R/O on secondment from P&O GCD.
The Chaser was a brilliant trip with a brilliant crowd one of my best trips.
Best wishes

Graham
Old 18th June 2006, 23:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Panocean Chemical Carriers

Went out to a shipyard in Horten, Norway with Glyn (Whiskers) Smith, the P&O radio superintendent, to commission the transmitter on the first of the series of 4 (or 6) chemical carriers being built there. I cannot remember the name of the vessel, Post ???

The radio room had been fitted out with Marconi equipment by engineers from Norsk Marconikompani A/S but it was the first 1500-watt 'Conqueror' transmitter that they had seen. To avoid problems I was sent out from the UK to set it to work before handing over for seatrials. Flew from Heathrow to Oslo and then travelled down the fjord from Oslo to Horten by a small, high-speed, hydrofoil passenger ferry which, as there was floating ice everywhere, did not fill me with confidence.

Middle of winter, bitterly cold on board but things soon heated up when I put the transmitter on air. The installers had drilled a hole in the deckhead only about 0.5mm bigger than the diameter of the copper tube connecting the transmitting antenna selector switch to the antenna trunking. Lots of rf energy transferred from the antenna feeder to the deckhead resulted in the "non-flammable" deckhead material and insulation igniting and burning merrily. Lots of alarms, lots of activity with extinguishers and more activity to enlarge the hole around the copper tube antenna feeder.

Horten, being only a small town, did not boast a state liquor store so people had to travel quite a distance to buy booze. At my hotel, a bottle of duty-free gin was stolen from my suitcase in a closet in the locked hotel bedroom. It could only have been stolen by someone with a key to the room i.e. a hotel employee. When I complained to the manager he pointed to a sign behind the reception desk which said "For security reasons it is recommended that all valuables are handed to the management and kept in the hotel safe. The management accept no responsibility for items left in the rooms."

When I suggested that in England a litre bottle of gin was hardly considered "a valuable" item, he replied "In Horten it is worth a fortune".

You live and learn (slowly, in my case).

Ron
Old 19th June 2006, 02:24

My location
Panocean (Anco)

Hello Willie
Although not strictly a Panocean shipmate I did work in the U.S. for Panocean-Anco. Joined the New York office right after the merger in 1976, two years later transferred to the Houston office working with Capt. Jimmy Hunter and Gerry Duffy. Stayed in Houston for five years until the merger with Stolt Nielsen at which time I was moved to Connecticut.
While in Houston I did get to spend some time on the ships and still recall some of the Captains - Phil Messinger, George MacIver, Henry Watson among them.
Welcome to the web site you will enjoy your time here..
Cheers
Jim MacIntyre
Old 19th June 2006, 09:29
Organisation: Coastguard
Active: 2001 - Present

Anco Duchess, 1976, Post Challenger 1977 and Anco Templar 1980. Not strictly a shipmate as I was away with my Dad and enjoying being away from school!
Old 19th June 2006, 21:12

Willie
I served as R/O with Panocean from August 1977 till April 1987.
Served on the following even with the name changes.
Post Champion Pass of Brander Anco Charger Post Challenger Anco Champion Pass of Balmaha Chelsea Pioneer Anco Chaser Stolt Stane Stolt Templar Aquamaster Iver Chaser Iver Champion.
Just realised that I started and finished with the Champion but had twelve discharges from the Balmaha my favourite ship of all time.
Regards
Bert
Old 7th August 2006, 14:21

Willie
Where have they all gone. All those that played with computers onboard. Sure some of them are retired and playing with their computers at home. Musn't have found this great site
Best wishes
Bert.
Old 8th August 2006, 23:47
Willie

My location
Hi Lads

I find it very surprising that there hasn't been more of a response to this Panocean Thread.

When I sailed on the Post Boats from 1974-76, the social life on board ship, and this included all departments, was excellent, and if I recall there certainly wasn't too many shrinking violets about.

Where are you all now.

Maybe what is needed is a Panocean Forum in the Ships and Shipping Area. Does anyone know how to go about requesting our own Forum

Willie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Post Endeavour - Suez Canal.jpg (238.7 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Post Challenger - Panama Canal.jpg (269.7 KB, 207 views)
Old 5th September 2006, 12:01

My location
Worked on Anco ships in the 80s, first trip Sovereign then various including Stane,Templar,Sceptre,Enterprise,Endeavour,
Some good times some not so good,
Would be great to hear from any old mates.
Herbie
Old 5th September 2006, 12:38

Welcome Herbie nice to have someone from Panocean. Enjoy this wonderful site and hopefully you will find old shipmates
Best Wishes Bert
Old 6th September 2006, 01:36

My location
Thanks Bert,
There dont seem to be many ex panocean guys on any of the sites i have found,but will carry on trying.My daughter finds it COOL that her Dad once sailed around the World even though he is ancient( i am 41!)
Old 6th September 2006, 09:30

Herbie. When you reach seventysix that really is cool. I know, unfortunately ,from personal experience. Hope some more Panocean people will emerge
Best regards Bert
Old 7th September 2006, 09:40

My location
Sailed on Enterprise, Chaser, Champion ,Charger and Princess from early 79 to 81, as what-they-called 2OE (Chief Lecky to everyone else). Great times with some great people.
Old 7th September 2006, 10:27

What was the name of the first Post ship from Norway. Know it was a "C" as far as I recall but would like to know the name. Please.
Old 8th September 2006, 13:20

My location
According to http://freepages.family.rootsweb.co...vecwll/anco.htm

The Sequence was :-
ANCO CHALLENGER 1972 / 1979 畫x POST CHALLENGER

ANCO CHAMPION 1973 / 1979 畫x POST CHAMPION

ANCO CHARGER 1973 / 1979 畫x POST CHARGER

ANCO CHASER 1973 / 1979 畫x POST CHASER

ANCO ENDEAVOUR 1974 / 1979 畫x POST ENDEAVOUR

ANCO ENERGIE 1974 / 1979 畫x POST ENERGIE

ANCO ENTERPRISE 1974 / 1979 畫x POST ENTERPRISE

ANCO ENTENTE 1975 / 1979 ex POST ENTENTE
Old 18th September 2006, 02:05

Post Anco Templar

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
Worked on Anco ships in the 80s, first trip Sovereign then various including Stane,Templar,Sceptre,Enterprise,Endeavour,
Some good times some not so good,
Would be great to hear from any old mates.
Herbie
I served on Anco Templar twice - Jan-June 81 & Oct-Jan 81 also Anco Empress Jun-Oct 81, Pass of Drumochter July-Sept 82, Anco Sceptre Aug-Jan 82/83.
I was a Deck Cadet at the time, now not serving at Sea as suffered spinal injury that has left me paraplegic. I ask the question did we sail at the same time? Were you on the Templar when we rescued a vessel on fire in the Red Sea in May 81? Some names I remeber were Andy Blore (2nd mate), Captain Billing (?), etc.

Luckily to say that all my times at sea were great, but then I was only a cadet - haha -

Best wishes anyway
Old 18th September 2006, 09:15
Organisation: Coastguard
Active: 2001 - Present

Carl, when did you join the Anco Templar?

Skol
CED
Old 18th September 2006, 09:22

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
I served on Anco Templar twice - Jan-June 81 & Oct-Jan 81 also Anco Empress Jun-Oct 81, Pass of Drumochter July-Sept 82, Anco Sceptre Aug-Jan 82/83.
I was a Deck Cadet at the time, now not serving at Sea as suffered spinal injury that has left me paraplegic. I ask the question did we sail at the same time? Were you on the Templar when we rescued a vessel on fire in the Red Sea in May 81? Some names I remeber were Andy Blore (2nd mate), Captain Billing (?), etc.

Luckily to say that all my times at sea were great, but then I was only a cadet - haha -

Best wishes anyway

Carl,
Were you with me in "Drumochter?"
I was paired Master with the late Duncan Mackinnon.

Vic Pitcher
Manners makyth man
Old 20th September 2006, 17:47

My location
Sceptre

Carl,
I joined the Sceptre in Liverpool on Jan 12 83, As Junior Op 2 ( deck boy basically.Sailed on her 3 times the last being her hand over to foreign crew in Singapore on 3 Dec 88( my last trip).
Still miss the good times but not some of the bad.
Im married with a 14 year old daughter and now work in aerospace engineering. cheers Herbie
Old 19th October 2006, 14:37

Great memories

Hi everyone, it is great to hear some of the names from the past.

Great memories!

From '75 to '80, I served on the Post Endeavour, Post Cheser, Post Charger, Anco Princess, Athel King, Post Runner. Joined as the lowest form of marine Life (lower than the Ameoba) as a Deck Cadet (or should it be Operations cadet) and left in 1080 as a 2nd Officer (Ops).
Unfortunately, can't remember too many of the names I've seen so far, but I thought that Phil Messenger was a tremendous help to me, Ken Tree was my first Master, and Paddy McKinnon was a respected (old school) guy, who gave me a bit of a hard time.
I had an absolutely fantastic time at see and I still miss it so much. I hope that some others from panocean come on board this thread.
Old 19th October 2006, 15:42

I've just realised that no-one else has mentioned the Post Runner or the Post Ranger. I can't remember too much about them apart the from the fact that the Runner (which I was on board for about 2 weeks) was falling apart. Maybe it just did fall apart - completely.

I served on the Athelking on its last voyage for the Company when it was about to be handed over to a Flag Of Convenience after a drydocking in Malta. The last time saw it, it was about a year later when I was on another ship, when it came up behind us racing towards the Suez Canal trying to get in the convoy before us. The Gulf Of Suez was still mined- after the Israel/Egypt conflict. The Athelking under its new owners beat us by actually leaving the cleared channel and cutting across a corner of the Gulf Of Suez and risking getting blown up. It beat us to the last place in the convoy!
Old 19th October 2006, 17:17

Was it the Runner or the Ranger that became Chelsea Pioneer ? Did a laying up trip on her from Pireaus to (forget the name) South of France. Remember telling the watchman that all the walkie talkies were locked away. He replied "it doesn't matter as they will steal anything here" Capable fellow. Wonder what happened to her. PS Discharge Book says Toulon. Articles from 6 - 13 February 1982.
Old 20th October 2006, 14:03

My location
Hello Bert

It was the Post Runner that was to become the Chelsea Pioneer (she was also the Anco State between 1964 and 1967).

I joined the Chelsea Pioneer at anchor off Pireaus with Captain Grant in December 1981. A few days after getting there she went into layup stern to the jetty between several other ships.

Regards,
Barry.
Old 20th October 2006, 14:15

Hi Barry
Thanks. Guess the lay up in Tolouse was her final port. Wonder if she was scrapped after that. Perhaps someone can tell us
Regards
Bert
Old 20th October 2006, 15:09

My location
Hi Bert

Think I can answer that one too!

I'll include all previous and later names for you.

Launched 1961 as Berean, 64 Anco State, 67 Saga State, 70 Post Runner, 77 Argenpuma, 79 Acron C, 80 Chelsea Pioneer, 83 Pioneer 11, 84 Lara.

Sold by Lara Shipping Corp, Panama, to Spanish breakers and having left Algeciras 18/08/84 arrived at Castellon about 20/08/84 for breaking.

95% sure all above is correct but willing to be corrected if anyone knows different.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Barry.