Panocean Shipping & Terminals Ltd - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
19:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Panocean Shipping & Terminals Ltd

User Tag List

Old 20th October 2006, 17:20

Thanks Barry
Nice to know what happened to the old girl. Thought she was finished but see she had a few more years in her to go
Regards
Bert
Old 20th October 2006, 17:48

Hi shipmates
It's great to see so many ex Panocean/Anco folk still around and still nostalgic about the good old days. I sailed with Panocean from March 1974 until April 1984 serving on the,Challenger,Charger,Champion,Enterprise,Endeavo ur,Chaser,Sovereign,Templar and Empress. I did several trips on some of those vessels and finaly came ashore in 1984 after a trip on the Charger to the Falkland Islands. I had served on many ships for various companies prior to Panocean but must say some of my most memorable times were on the Post ships. I have plenty of snaps taken during my time with them and will post them to the forum if anyones interested.
Regards,
Roy Parker ( ex CPO )
Old 20th October 2006, 20:49

My location
Hi To all on this thread.

Well joined Panocean in 1973 with my first trip on Post Chaser from the builders followed by many voyages between then and 1987.

Post Chaser December 73 to May 74
Post Champion June 74 to November 74
Post Endeavour February 75 to June 75
Post Enterprise July 75 to December 75
Post Challenger January 76 to June 76
Post Challenger August 76 to January 77
Post Challenger April 77 to October 77
Post Enterprise December 77 to Feb 78
Anco Endeavour May 78 to September 78
Anco Stane November 78 to March 79
Athelqueen April 79 to February 80 (2 trips back to back great ship & crew!)
Anco Sovereign May 80 to October 80
Anco Charger November 80 to April 81
Anco Empress June 81 to November 81
Chelsea Pioneer December 81
Anco Empress March 82 to August 82
Anco Stane January 83 to June 83
Anco Endeavour September 83 to January 84
Stolt Stane May 84 to October 84
Aquamaster March 85 to July 85
Berlin August 85
Aquamaster November 85 to May 86
Iver Champion August 86 to January 87

Left the Champion in drydock Singapore after they replaced us with foreign crew.
Said 'We'll ring you as soon as we have something for you". 19 years later and I'm still waiting for the bl**dy phone to ring! Still.....you never know.

Barry.

Last edited by BazB; 20th October 2006 at 22:53..
Old 10th November 2006, 14:36

Willie
They are out there somewhere. I mean ex Panocean men. Hopefully some will find this site and join us.
Regards
Bert
Old 10th November 2006, 16:43

Hi!, served on Athel/Anco/Pan-Ocean ships from 1965-1980
Athelduke, Anco Queen (14 month trip ), Athelmere, Anco Storm (she had
a figurehead on the bow), Athelstane, Athelmonarch,Athelchief, Athelduke,
Athelking,Anco Duchess, Anco Duke,Anco Empress, Anco Duchess,Anco Sceptre,Anco Templar, Anco Princess, Anco Duke, Post Ranger,Anco Princess, Anco Sovereign, Anco Duke,Anco Templar,Athel Monarch and Anco Stane.
Kind regards to all
Old 10th November 2006, 17:12

My location
Hi Goldie

Welcome to the site, not been a member for long myself but finding it really enjoyable.

Barry.
Old 23rd November 2006, 06:06
Keith Adams
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 2011

My location
Hi Guys, I am a bit late with this as I thought that PANOCEAN SHIPPING was
a Korean Company... out here on the West Coast USA i worked their ships on
a regular basis... mostly steel cargoes inbound and logs out-bound... all ship
names began with"PAN". I was waiting for someone to mention them. Snowy.
Old 25th November 2006, 13:24

Snowy,

Pan Ocean Shipping (which was renamed STX Pan Ocean Shipping in 2005) is a Korean company and one with which I am very familiar.

However, this thread refers to a totally separate British company, which is no longer trading.

Phil
Old 26th November 2006, 05:26
Keith Adams
Active: 1951 - 2011

My location
Thanks to Thamesphil for the update on Pan Ocean. Snowy.
Old 24th December 2006, 17:12
Active: 1974 - 1989

Carl. I paid off The Sceptre in Rotterdam on August 31st 1982. (Senior Ops) it was my second trip on her and I went on to do two more in 1986 and 88.
My first ship was the "Anco Empress" in 1974. The Sceptre voyage being my last before going coastal for 6 months and then shoreside mid 1989.
I too would love to hear from anyone that remembers Me from those fantastic years.
The Social life certainly was something else in those days and one cringes now at the thought, but hey, wasn't it great?
Old 28th December 2006, 04:39

I joined Panocean in their very early days, I don't quite know why. Sailed on all three of the Rs, before the smart new boats came along. The Post Runner was probably the happiest ship I ever sailed on, and the Post Ranger was about the worst wreck I ever sailed on. She was enough for me, I slung me hook after her.
CBoots
Old 28th December 2006, 17:11
King Ratt

My location
I had the pleasure of sailing in Anco Charger as the man from the ministry from Oct 1983 to Mar 1984 when she was running for the MoD. Captain was a delightful man called Kerry Lewis from St Austell. My No 3 son was conceived onboard on the only night my wife visited the ship in Fawley - she having justdriven down from Scotland. A subsequent letter received from Captain Lewis in Dec 84 revealed that the "Charger" had quite a reputation for onboard conceptions.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time out of the MoD on Anco Charger with a fine bunch of men who didn't give me too hard a time!
Old 15th March 2007, 18:49

I was on Post Endeavour and Post Challenger 1976/1979. Had a good time and sadly left way too soon. I was known as a Junior Operator. Fazak (Roy) I think you might have been my CPO on Endeavour. South Africa voyage I think.
Regards
Mick Gill
Old 7th April 2007, 22:58

Stolt Sceptre

Hello Herbie

I was the Mate on the Sceptre when she was handed over to Norwegians, since have emigrated to New Zealand been here since 1997

WallyH
Old 17th August 2007, 14:11

Hi guys, did maiden trip on Rover and a trip on Runner as 3/Eng (2TO). Only three ships in the company then,1972.
Cheers David.
Old 20th August 2007, 12:54

My location
Hello WallyH,
Joined her in Rio Grande in Brazil on 15/9/88 after a pretty hairy flight on a small mail plane watching mist covered mountains at what seemed like inches from the wing tips.
Payed off 3/12/88 in Singapore and didnt even get one last trip to the beer garden! I wonder if its still there?
Sorry it took so long to answer but my wife is seriously ill with cancer and not checked site for ages atb Herbie
Old 6th September 2007, 09:34

Herbie

Sorry to hear that hope everything is OK now, if I remember rightly you were stood by me in TsingToa where we were loading Castor Oil and I managed to cover myself head to foot in the stuff changing a hose over, you would most probably remember me as Jack ah the memories, she was a good ship and a good crowd as long as you could stand the pace.

Wallyh
Old 9th September 2007, 09:51

My location
Hi Wallyh,
Was that when I became PO Pumpman for the day so everyone else could go to see the Great Wall?
Think John Garbutt was pumpman, never did get me a beer for doing that for him!
Remember many names like Ronnie Anderson,Steve Maguire,Taff Walters, Frank Perin( best skipper I sailed with) Wonder what happened to them all as its been nearly 20 years! My brother in law lives in Napier having just moved from Hamilton.We looked at moving out there but sadly my wifes illness put a stop to that. Cheers Herbie
Old 6th October 2007, 21:39

Herbie

yes that was right you were playing pumpman for the day while the rest swanned off to the Great Wall, Alan Rothery was the old man, think he is still with Wallems, the second mate is now with one of the big consultancies and I haven't a clue what happened to the third mate , Rob Gribben i think his name was.

Wally h
Old 10th October 2007, 16:34

My location
WallyH,
I thought Tsing Toa was beer! Have you got an itinery for that trip as cant remember half the places i went at sea.
My late Grandpa was RN from 1921-1946 and i have all his medals,all stars except the Pacific star and details of his ships, HMS Ark Royal,Ajax,Achilles etc. And i thought going up the Gulf was dangerous enough!
Hope you and yours are well
Herbie ( Paul)
Old 11th November 2007, 13:27

My location
If anyone's interested I've started going through my negatives and slides. Scanned a couple today, Post Challenger and Anco Empress pictures in the Gallery.
For all you 'rock dodgers' out there some of the Pass boats in Swansea prior to sale, probably the last pictures taken of them in Panocean guise, 23rd April 1984.

I have many more but will take time to find/scan/upload.

Regards,
Barry.

Last edited by BazB; 11th November 2007 at 17:40..
Old 12th November 2007, 12:09

My location
Anco Stane, Stolt Stane, Iver Chaser and Anco Templar now added to gallery.

No more for awhile as back in work tomorrow and a lot more sorting and scanning to be done first.

Barry.
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:44

My location
Hi all,
wasn't on any of Pan ocean boats but sailed with many who were,Billy (Whizz) evans, Stuart Evans-both finished with sea now.Ronnie (the rabbit) Anderson-BP Coasters, Eddie Jones-Campbell Maritime.All good lads and brilliant seamen.
Old 3rd February 2008, 18:49

My location
Hello Kev, Sailed with the Rabbit and havent seen him for 20 years, me him and Taff Walters went to Rotterdam on holiday in about 85, great times never to be bettered! Bob Dewsbury,Mick Quinn,Kev Barlow all good lads.
Old 3rd February 2008, 19:11

My location
Hi Herbie
Bob Dewsbury, now there's a name from the past. Bosun on Athelqueen back in 1979. Remember him standing on the top of one of the maindeck derrick masts, swaying back and fore with the roll of the ship and nothing to hold onto! Also remember him collapsing while tank cleaning in Portugal and having to get him out of the tank, heavy guy, luckily he was ok. As you say, great times.
Regards, Barry.