Norwood Tech 1969-70 - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
11:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Norwood Tech 1969-70

User Tag List

Old 6th March 2014, 22:58
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1967 - 1979

It would be the same chap, Coole if that's his name. Saw Jeff a few times when I was running our counter IED business in Poole. The girl was that Rosemary?
Old 8th March 2014, 07:29
Active: 1969 - 1982

Yes indeed it was, Bob. Rosie was a distant (mostly) dream for me for the two years there. Jeff and I corresponded a couple of times and her name was mentioned. He was going out with her on the quiet, so bad luck for me, I guess. He was quite interested in trying to get back in touch with her, but drew a blank.. Far as it went, he discovered her brother (I hadn't known she had one back then) is a head teacher somewhere in England, and he contacted the guy, who (probably rightly so) wouldn't supply any contact details. He offered to get her to write or ring but apparently she never did. Ah well. Such is life!

See yah. Paul
Old 6th April 2014, 11:12

Don't remember Phil Hawse. Gino Masero, Colin Tait and of course Alan Burbidge because he was on QE2 for years and often met up in the Caribbean when I was based in Miami with P&O.
Met Jeff quite a few times in recent years when I was running a counter-IED business in Poole. I am also a part-time flying instructor and an RAF civilian instructor teaching Air Cadets. The fancy car, Ferrari 360 Spider, is actually my wife's. I met her 40 years ago in Pago Pago when she was on a cruise from Sydney on Himalaya. She's just taken early retirement from her job as a divorce lawyer.
Glen strathallan yes remember being anchored off Southend and peeling spuds.

Hope all well with you
Robert
Old 20th April 2014, 23:30

Yeah, thanks Bob, all well as can be expected here. I swapped jobs on the "Strathallan". They wanted me to make coffee for the whole crew but as I'd never even had a cup of coffee in my life at that time, I had no idea how to do such a thing! Thankfully the nav cadet detailed to spud peeling was more than happy to swap.

Crikey! I remember how hard it was to sleep on that tub; all crammed together in one bunkroom... What a nightmare that trip turned out to be with Pursloe in charge.

What's counter-IED? Is that something to do with counter terrorism?

Where are you living at the moment? Still in the Poole area? I emigrated to NZ in '82, and then again in '07. Now living on the edge of a large mixed dairy/sheep farm out in the sticks but still with a working "Atalanta" receiver, would you believe!

Best regards, Paul
Old 21st April 2014, 08:49

IED is improvised explosive devices, we made detection and disarming equipment. If you google Robert Hill Chemring Defence you can see what my current company does.
We moved a few years ago to Mersea Island, just south of Colchester. I work in Derby a couple of days per week and every Thursday at my other office in Bremerhaven.
I am going to a P&O pensioners reunion on May 2nd. Lots of my old shipmates from the 70's will be there so hopefully good fun.
Ian Benton and his wife are staying with us at end May.

Best regards
Robert
Old 23rd April 2014, 23:05

Back to you again, Bob.

I've just Googled your Chemring website, but there's no photo of its Managing Director! Only a blank page where a photo should be...

Not bad - "Glen Stathallan" to MD of such a prestigious company, and one that seems to be doing a good and very worthwhile job in our funny old world.

Congratulations!

And an OBE too! Well done indeed that man.

Paul
Old 24th April 2014, 05:37

If it's piccies you want try google robert hill obe and also seadogs-reunited.com
Look under seadogs and there's loads of P&O memories
Old 22nd May 2016, 17:10

Smile Hi all, just found y'all

I attended Norwood PMG from 69 to 72 and went on to work or a defense contractor, I recall John Alp as on of my teachers, along with Douglas and Tickner. I remember David Court in my group. Just thought I would say Hi, I had a great time and left with a great grounding in electronics. Good luck all.
Ian Gooderson
Old 16th August 2019, 13:43

No I didn't!!!

Heck, I just remembered my old mate Gino Masero. You must remember him; he carried around a colour photograph of himself and would put it on the table sometimes at break in the canteen and just gaze at himself!
Old 16th August 2019, 23:51

Pimpernel! Now that is absolutely amazing: someone else with same memories I have of our mate, Gino, with the colour photo that he used to gaze at, as you say, anytime he got the chance (in between combing his hair, of course) in the canteen before one of us could grab it and run off, the headphones we always carried on the outside of our briefcases banging against the sides as we raced off. The headphones always marked us as marine radio students, no way you could hide that fact.

And I thought I was the only one who recalled that slightly odd idiosyncrasy of Gino's! Amazing, man, amazing. I will send on your piece to him on FaceBook, where he seems to spend a lot of his time residing these days. Although, oddly, he doesn't seem to ever post any pix of himself there, only Boris, his dog. How times change.

I think we may have corresponded briefly before, but if you see this one, maybe you could let me know your given name and I'll see if I remember you from those days. Did you do the radar ticket at the end? Shortest course they'd ever done there, apparently, and both types of radar, too, Raymarc and Hermes.

Happy days - Paul

Last edited by Paul Braxton; 16th August 2019 at 23:55..
Old 19th August 2019, 07:54

Caught me out big time, Gino, aka Pimpernel! Big time. One to you. Hope you remembered your login details.
Old 19th August 2019, 14:51

My location
Had a year at Norwood tech studying TV studio technology circa 1962. I'd left the sea 12 months earlier and then worked at ABC studios on Teddington Lock on the new-fangled video tape recorders and other machines. VTR was Ampex, with hundreds of valves, a step change from the Siemens SB186 TX. The lecturer was delighted when I presented him with the manual for the latest polygon flying-spot telecine.