Lord Kelvin - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lord Kelvin

User Tag List

Old 23rd January 2008, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA View Post
Hope you don't include either Roy Southgate or Tommy Woolcott in the above statement, life was never dull with either of those two on Gas Tankers.
Hi Ninja.
You're right about these two. Tom Woolcott and his partys, and Roy Southgate was a good organiser, in fact I remember Tom Woolcott and John Coates(Ch.Eng.) had been ashore in Japan(can't quite remember where) and they brought back an old road sweeper and got him legless on board and then sent him on his way rejoicing. Any idea where they are now?
Regards
Old 23rd January 2008, 19:00

Hello Leo,

Last I heard about Roy he was living somewhere in France and several people have told me that John Coates has sadly passed away maybe someone could better confirm that, sailed with John on the Orotava and the Cavendish, the only thing that seemed to upset John was mentioning that monkey from Hartlepool. A great shipmate.

Regards

Ninja.
Old 24th January 2008, 04:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - 1986

My location
Never met either of the aforementioned gentlemen although I did hear quite a few anecdotes about Tom Woolcott.In general most other Houlders personnel I met were very nice people maybe I was unfortunate enough to meet the one that wasn't.
Old 25th January 2008, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Bass View Post
Never met either of the aforementioned gentlemen although I did hear quite a few anecdotes about Tom Woolcott.In general most other Houlders personnel I met were very nice people maybe I was unfortunate enough to meet the one that wasn't.
Hi Brian.
You really missed something not knowing Tommy Woolcott, one of lifes gentleman who knew every bawdy seafaring song going. I think his life might have been influenced by his christian outlook on life (I know that sounds rather contradictory) but he was very fair and generous in all his dealings with people.
As Ninja said he was a character.
Regards
Leo
Old 3rd February 2008, 04:11

Sailed on Lord Kelvin in 1980 as deck cadet, joined in France signed off at Boston. we were in Iran when the revolution was kicking off and took ammonia to Santos Brazil then loaded LPG in Maracaibo to Boston. Real work up changing gas I recall. Can't remember the old man but he had the Maltese cross stitched on to the back of his boiler suit so must have been a company man. Officer bar had two budgies that used to get flying lessons on party nights. Got some old photos of a crossing the line ceremony with the whole ships complement dressed up round the pool.
Old 3rd February 2008, 08:48
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
Hi Brian.
You really missed something not knowing Tommy Woolcott, one of lifes gentleman who knew every bawdy seafaring song going. I think his life might have been influenced by his christian outlook on life (I know that sounds rather contradictory) but he was very fair and generous in all his dealings with people.
As Ninja said he was a character.
Regards
Leo
Yes, Brian can take some comfort from the fact he came across just the one oddity and almost to a man everyone else was 100A1. Certainly Tom was a very decent sort, worthwhile as a ship's Master and a kind man with it.

Mark
Old 3rd February 2008, 11:54
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Sorry to hear about John Coates.

I had been trying to remember his name. I sailed with him on the Cavendish the first time I was there. I was a Cadet engineer and was told by the other guys that it was a privilege to be asked by the chief to play Crib' with him against the Captain & Chief Mate after dinner. I was also told to make things go smoother with the chief I should enquire into the story concerning the monkey.

I had never heard of crib' before but being willing to learn and especialy from the chief engineer I joined the table. I made loads of mistakes and sensing he was getting really mad with me I thought now was the time to bring up the monkey story.

The poor guy had steam coming out of his head and could hardly speak as he told me to get out. The rest of the bar was cracking up and it was not until a couple of days later that the second told him what they had done to me. John came to my cabin and apologised and explained the whole story about the monkey to me and to this day I am a good crib player thanks to what I learned from him.
Old 3rd February 2008, 13:03
user

My location
Nice one about John; really sad to see that he has passed away - I remember him a very pleasant chap and an excellent engineer.
Old 3rd February 2008, 14:05

When I was on the Cavendish with John Coates we always had a game of Crib at Smoko and Tiffen, and after a few beers the monkey usually reared his ugly head. Have still got one of those crib boards that you sometimes got in a case of Tennants lager.
Old 4th February 2008, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA View Post
When I was on the Cavendish with John Coates we always had a game of Crib at Smoko and Tiffen, and after a few beers the monkey usually reared his ugly head. Have still got one of those crib boards that you sometimes got in a case of Tennants lager.
Hi Ninja.
I used to call John Coates "The Hartlepool Hangman". I called him that through the serving hatch on the "Cavendish" one breakfast and I got a boiled egg between the eyes for my troubles. The last I saw of him was on the train from Kings Cross on the way up North with little Andy the Cook. We had a tableful of cans of McEwans Export, great train journey. We had paid off the "Cavendish" in Mina but had to wait there for 24 hours for the Air India jumbo as it was held up over a bomb scare. A sad loss.
Regards
Old 29th March 2009, 03:35

Was the 2nd/E called I Mc donald? On the Black Max,he thought it cool, to do a streak ,in the ol' man's cabin at 1am.
Thus, waking,'sleeping dogs.'
Old 22nd May 2011, 16:45
Active: 1974 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHampson View Post
I spent 6 months on the Lord Kelvin as an Engineer Cadet in 1986 - joined in Sweden for what should have been a bus route down to Sullom Voe, then fawley (home) but ended up going across to PanCan, up to Alska, down to Aus and back to Bodo via a huge low that saw the scuppers above the controlroom burst and start flooding the open backed switchboard.....lots of fun that night - and the only time I've ever heard sparks sending out panpan!

Worst memory is of a kiwi 2nd Eng called Mutley (real name withheld - but he later worked as super for red funnel in Southampton)) whose favourite trick was to have a poo in the duty engineers boots, then set off a machinery space alarm - who had a HUGE anti-cadet chip on his shoulder and gave me a very hard time!

Was anchored off Sydney for their 200 celebrations - strange how they wouldn't let us into the harbour. Got our own back by flying one of their bicentennial banners off the back end (we'd "aquired" it from the Opera House the night before) as we left.

Those were the days..................
Ian MacDonald
Old 18th July 2013, 21:05
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Bass View Post
My worst memory of Houlders was standing by the Lord Kelvin whilst she was building in Italy,it was my first & last Gas Boat,the standby Master was the most ignorant person I met during my 14 years with Houlders.
Sorry about the delay in replying (8years or so).
I stood by The Kelvin for the last year or so and maiden voyage as second E.
The two masters were Rod Banton (played golf with) and Jubby I did not see eye to eye sometimes with the latter sailed with him also on the Oratavia.
I dont rember your name (sorry) the mate standing by was Bob Frederick (sadly now passed away) who said someone got fed up and went home before he joined perhaps you ?
Marina Carrara was my most enjoyable or best time at sea or should I say ashore.
The Gas ship Clerk Maxwell probably best other than Tewksbury
Old 23rd December 2013, 17:54
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1958 - 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Olney View Post
Sorry about the delay in replying (8years or so).
I stood by The Kelvin for the last year or so and maiden voyage as second E.
The two masters were Rod Banton (played golf with) and Jubby I did not see eye to eye sometimes with the latter sailed with him also on the Oratavia.
I dont rember your name (sorry) the mate standing by was Bob Frederick (sadly now passed away) who said someone got fed up and went home before he joined perhaps you ?
Marina Carrara was my most enjoyable or best time at sea or should I say ashore.
The Gas ship Clerk Maxwell probably best other than Tewksbury

Hi Roger,
Well we were definitely shipmates but sadly I cant remember you.
I was R/O standing by in Marina. and sailed maiden voyage. My pal Ian Hardie was mate, of which more later. Did you come down to that fabulous restaurant we affectionately called the "Traffic lights" ( coz it was on a junction!) where we ate lots of times?
Great last meal night before we sailed and he offered all of us to pick a bottle of wine from a great shelf running all round the room.
Hope you remember me, Banton was ok ...JJ not so!

Frank Ralph
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:50
Active: 1970 - 1978

Carrara and Kelvin

Hi Frank
I am struggling to remember as well but almost certainly at same meal. The traffic lights was my preferred (of many) eating houses. I remeber early on Frank Evermy asking for something special and getting it which I did after a while. I was trying to teach one of the waiters/chefs english and he me Italian so had a good relationship. Knew Ian well and a couple of restaurants near him one on the beach and a Pizza house nearby his flat owned by one of the interpreters. I went ashore early after maiden voyage so not so long at sea on her a month or so I think. Merry Christmas.
Regards Roger
Old 23rd August 2014, 22:49
Department: Navigation
Active: 1971 - 1980

I was on the Avogadro as first mate (Roy) with John Pope, Tom woolcot, etc and then the Humboldt, Joule, Cavendish. Does anyone remeber me???
Old 2nd December 2014, 22:37

Sailed with Tom Woolcott on the Faraday or Cavendish was a smashing old character
Old 3rd December 2014, 19:39
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 1966

I was EDH on Avogadro Jan. 1966 to July 1966 - Tom Woolcott was Captain.
Enjoyed my time on her.
Geoff.