Hornby Grange 1979-1984 - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:52

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hornby Grange 1979-1984

User Tag List

Old 23rd January 2011, 02:19

sailed with john and his wife gill on the joya mcannce in 1973[remember the year bacause sunderland won the fa cup] also had the pleasure of sailing with alex mcdonald when he was c/o on the stolt grange and later when he was master of the hornbey grange had a good run ashore with alex in BA when we went to see boca juniers play football that must have been about 1970
Old 28th January 2011, 15:01
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 2010

well two names in the post there bring back memorys,Arthur Marshall Chief Steward,i sailed with Arthur on the Orenda Bridge,then worked with offshore, my main memory of Arthur was when he took me to his cabin for a good talking to for being adrift in oz Dampier of all places for 3 days,when the door closed i thought here goes, but to my surprise he sat me down gave me a beer and tryied to guide me down the right path. Captain Odddy oh yes he had my signiture once or twice in the old log book.great memorys even so .
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:20
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1962 - 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Holland-Lloyd View Post
Hi All,

Does anyone have any news of the two product tankers built at Harland & Wolff in 1979, Hornby Grange and Elstree Grange. I know they were sold in the 80's and as a result I was made redundant.

Does anyone know if Captain C.J.Welch, P.J.E. Charman and G.V.Spong are still enjoying retirement.... or what.

Best regards to all

MHL
I was a Loading Master in Angola in the early 1990's and while our normal shuttle tanker was in dry dock her place was taken by a chartered in vessel. The crew were Indian senior officers and Phillipino junior officers and crew and the owners were probably Belgian as Fina was the Terminal operator. I can't remember the name of the vessel but she was ex Houlders and built in Belfast. She would have been about 70,000 tons dwt. and the one thing I remember is that she had short stubby bridge wings. I took an interest at the time because I was ex Houlders 1968 to 1975.
Mike McKenzie
Old 14th September 2015, 11:10

Captain C J Welch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Holland-Lloyd View Post
Hi All,

Does anyone have any news of the two product tankers built at Harland & Wolff in 1979, Hornby Grange and Elstree Grange. I know they were sold in the 80's and as a result I was made redundant.

Does anyone know if Captain C.J.Welch, P.J.E. Charman and G.V.Spong are still enjoying retirement.... or what.

Best regards to all

MHL
I am Captain C J Welch's granddaughter. Yes unfortunately we lost him in August 1993. If any of you are still on this forum it would be great to see old photo's if you have any.
Old 14th September 2015, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
Hi Mike.
Trust you and family are well.
If you find out any news about Capt. Welch I would appreciate a shout. I did my first trip in Houlders with him and other trips later on and found him to be a lovely guy. Mind you though, he did not suffer fools lightly. I remember one trip he did in the North Sea on the "Oregis" and he wanted to know why one of the mates was not in uniform on the bridge. I had to take him to one side and explain uniforms weren't worn in the North Sea.
I am trying to upload a photo with this post. Left to right Capt.Welch,Ted Steatham(Snr.Elect.) Charlie Swanborough(Ch.Eng) The 4th guy I cannot remember. In fact I'm not sure what ship it was taken on although it might have been a meat boat.
I got this photo off Capt.Welch whilst we sailed together on the "Oremina" in 1970.
Regards
Leo
Thank you for this photo of my grandfather Leo. He was a soft one with his grandkids.
Old 19th September 2015, 18:57
Department: Deck

Coatzacoalcos Mexico-- Spring 1984?--recall Hornby and Elstree followed each other into Pemex Pajaritos to load crude oil. Believe I visited the Hornby--Master Peter Creber,Mate John Yeo and 3/e Malcolm Codd. Loading last Houlder cargo for New York where she was to be handed over.
btw sailed with Capt. C J Welch --always helpful and a gentleman.
Old 19th October 2015, 00:52
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - 2017

I was on the ELSTREE when we handed over to her new Owners in New York, and also on the HORNBY when we went to layup in Malta prior to being sold.
IIRC, a number of us joined the HORNBY in Marseilles, did a month or so around the Med, then went to Malta-John Williams was Master, I think.
Then having got home from her, because we had only been a month or so on the HORNBY, we then joined the ELSTREE after about a week's leave. Without looking up my records, I think we joined in New York, brought a cargo across the Atlantic, loaded in Barcelona for Fawley, then loaded in Teesport for Texas. On the way across the pond westbound, we hit two severe gales/hurricanes in eight days, and had to go to Galveston shipyard after discharge for repair. I think the FARADAY may also have been caught in the second storm.
The last cargo was from Mexico (Tampico?) to New York, and we handed over in Brooklyn. Peter Creber was Master on the last trip; C/O Mike H-L, I'm sure; 2/O Roger Berry, me 3/O.
I did so much time on those two ships in the early 80s that who was on board which and when gets a bit hazy these days..........
I do remember meeting the ELSTREE in Coatzacoalcos when I was on the HORNBY; or was it the other way around? I think John LLoyd may have been 3/O on the other ship at that time.
John Yeo transferred to CY Tung and was Master on the CYS MARINER last time I saw him, somewhere in Brazil.
Did Arthur Marshall serve on LINDFIELD in 1977 or 1978? The name rings a bell somewhere.
To the original poster, Mike Holland -Lloyd; if you still read this thread, I remember sailing with you at least once, when the Falklands war was on. I think it was when the ship was on charter to Petrobras, and we were normally taking LSFO from Salvador to New York, followed by a week or three on the Brazilian coast before going back to New York with some more LSFO. On one round trip, we backloaded high sulphur fuel oil in Mexico (Coatzcoalcos?) and took it back to Brazil! Also on that last trip of the ELSTREE.
Hope this has stirred some memories, especially Merry Magpie and Saltyswamp
Martyn

Last edited by loco; 19th October 2015 at 01:36.. Reason: Additional information
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:58
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1986

My location
thank you left Hornby in Malta as well after joining in FOS after only a month it was my third trip on Hornby
Old 5th April 2017, 08:32

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymagpie View Post
Anybody know the whereabouts of Captain John "JAWS" Williams??

Mike Bartle
John unfortunately passed away due to cancer in the early 90's I am still in touch with his wife Gill. Regards
Howard Bowden