Cavendish - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
17:05

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cavendish

User Tag List

Old 23rd July 2007, 17:17
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
I think it was Cleggy who had to remove the remains of my wisdom tooth that had been left in by my dentist before I left the UK (4 Bells Rum as a painkiller).
Leo,

Am I correct in thinking your "dentist" was also the Chief Engineer, or am I getting confused ?

Mark
Old 23rd July 2007, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
Leo,

Am I correct in thinking your "dentist" was also the Chief Engineer, or am I getting confused ?

Mark
Hi Mark.
Just a touch confused, Cleggy was the 2nd Mate and the ship in question at the time was the "Cumbria" Trouble is I was on so many of Houlder's ships I also get a touch confused. Mind you though I can also claim advanced age.
Regards
Old 23rd July 2007, 21:53
user

My location
Leo,

My apologies... I must learn to read
Old 23rd December 2013, 18:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1958 - 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo hannan View Post
Hi Tonga/Ninja. Well done Ninja the guy was May and he was mate when I was there. Yes Mark, John(General) Jubb joined us later on. Ninja I was also there when Malcom & his wife were onboard. I think their name was Grey(Gray) Also on there with a 2/O John Shepherd and his wife Lou,Ch.Stwd at the time was John Ronicle(a Cheat) He got the empty beer kegs filled in Australia and charged UK prices. He would have made over 1000 profit but I happened to see an invoice the contents of which I passed to Roy Southgate. Needless to say the error was corrected. Its rather strange what one remembers when the memory is jogged.
Regards
Leo

Hi Leo
Nobody has a worse memory than me , but times on the Cavendish are like bright lights in the darkness.
John Shepherd's wife was Margo, Irish lady, Lou was Lou Hardie, wife of Ian, Ch Off. sailed with little son, Simon, gorgeous child, loved by everyone on board. Bosun used to take him to the focsle head for picnics, giving his Mum a short rest.

R/O Frank Ralph
Old 2nd December 2014, 19:34

Hi Glen or Sam as we called you I also was on the Cavendish when we picked up the boat peeps I was cadet at time Ray Allen went back on her as 3/0
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:48
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 1985

royston grange

Hi old Houlder Bros seadogs
Joined Houlder Bros Easter sat 1969 as j/e after interview in small sub office in Liver Buildings Liverpool and later went to Leadenhall Street to see Mr Batchelor and captain Parkin, I was assigned to the Royston Grange for only about 10 days whilst she unloaded in Royal Victoria dock Tidal Basin and moved to KG5 to load general cargo for the Plate till the regular chaps came back but did not get a stamp in my discharge book,next I did a pre sea course at Poplar College after which I did my first trip on the Joya Mc Cance (ex Beauval) for 4 months or so.
I stood by the Royston again in London in 1971 before her ill fated collision in the Plate

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img441.jpg (218.4 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by brianthirdengineer; 2nd February 2016 at 16:53.. Reason: add phograph
Old 11th February 2016, 20:58

Hi Brian,
We must have been at Poplar at the same time, I joined the Brandon Priory first and then went to the Joya, joining her in Sweden.

Magnus
Old 9th June 2016, 03:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianthirdengineer View Post
Hi old Houlder Bros seadogs
Joined Houlder Bros Easter sat 1969 as j/e after interview in small sub office in Liver Buildings Liverpool and later went to Leadenhall Street to see Mr Batchelor and captain Parkin, I was assigned to the Royston Grange for only about 10 days whilst she unloaded in Royal Victoria dock Tidal Basin and moved to KG5 to load general cargo for the Plate till the regular chaps came back but did not get a stamp in my discharge book,next I did a pre sea course at Poplar College after which I did my first trip on the Joya Mc Cance (ex Beauval) for 4 months or so.
I stood by the Royston again in London in 1971 before her ill fated collision in the Plate

Brian
Hi Brianthridengineer
I was on CM, Orotav, Orend,Farad,Joule,Cumbria, Stolt Spur, StoltSpan.

went from Junior up to cheng eventually.
Wondered if you remembered me.
Sailed with Jumping Jack, Les Cutriss, George Ruth, Brian Tyler, Bob Whittaker, Tom Woolcott, Lemi Gabeka, Chris Potter, DR Dixon, Kitteringham, Briggs, Brian Dyson, Rod Banton, Bob Drysdale, Earnshaw, Davie Dawson, Jack McKenna, John Bletsoe , John Musty, Alex Ross, and many others.
Trying to jog my own memory and others before it gets lost.
rgds
Keith Reay
Old 20th August 2018, 02:54

First Post

G'day from down under! I joined the Cavendish as a Deck Cadet in the shipyard at La Ciotat and stayed on her for about 2 years - only broken with a few weeks of leave. Capt JDH Glover was the original Master with Roy Southgate as First mate. After JDH left Roy became Master and Malcolm Gray joined as 1st mate. The Cavendish was Malcolm's first Gas Tanker. Dave Gazzard was 2nd mate. Roy Southgate was brilliant as Master and that prompted me to stay on the Cavendish perhaps a lot longer than normal for a Cadet. During Roys time as Master, our 3rd Mate left in BA due to illness and rather than send out a new 3/0, Roy got permission from the office to allow me to act as 3/0 on our next voyage from BA to Melbourne. I even got moved into the 3/0 cabin and had Brian Taylor as my steward waking me with a cuppa. I was a pretty happy camper at that time.

During my last 6 months on the Cavendish, I came back down to earth with a thud. John Jubb joined as 1st Mate and proceeded to have the Cadets colour code all the valves and lines on deck. As 1st Officer I found him very difficult to get along with to say the least. I finally left the Cavendish to fly home to do some more study at Hull.

Some 5 months later I joined the MV Humboldt with Capt Tom Walcott as Master - a very unique character. A few weeks later he was relieved by John Jubb - his first trip as Master. I dont mind admitting I was filled with trepidation after our less than great relationship on the Cavendish.

However I have to say that as Master, John Jubb was completely different and I really enjoyed sailing with him on the Humboldt and learned a lot from him.
Old 14th September 2018, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley68 View Post
G'day from down under! I joined the Cavendish as a Deck Cadet in the shipyard at La Ciotat and stayed on her for about 2 years - only broken with a few weeks of leave. Capt JDH Glover was the original Master with Roy Southgate as First mate. After JDH left Roy became Master and Malcolm Gray joined as 1st mate. The Cavendish was Malcolm's first Gas Tanker. Dave Gazzard was 2nd mate. Roy Southgate was brilliant as Master and that prompted me to stay on the Cavendish perhaps a lot longer than normal for a Cadet. During Roys time as Master, our 3rd Mate left in BA due to illness and rather than send out a new 3/0, Roy got permission from the office to allow me to act as 3/0 on our next voyage from BA to Melbourne. I even got moved into the 3/0 cabin and had Brian Taylor as my steward waking me with a cuppa. I was a pretty happy camper at that time.

During my last 6 months on the Cavendish, I came back down to earth with a thud. John Jubb joined as 1st Mate and proceeded to have the Cadets colour code all the valves and lines on deck. As 1st Officer I found him very difficult to get along with to say the least. I finally left the Cavendish to fly home to do some more study at Hull.

Some 5 months later I joined the MV Humboldt with Capt Tom Walcott as Master - a very unique character. A few weeks later he was relieved by John Jubb - his first trip as Master. I dont mind admitting I was filled with trepidation after our less than great relationship on the Cavendish.

However I have to say that as Master, John Jubb was completely different and I really enjoyed sailing with him on the Humboldt and learned a lot from him.

I was on Cavendish in 1975 my 2nd gas boat after the Joule. I also sailed on Humboldt, and Clerk Maxwell both as 1st Mate. I sailed with Roy Souhtgate, John Pope, John Jubb John Jacques and Brian Dyson as Master a mixed bunch to say the least. Southgate, Pope and Dogs Dyson were the best. Also sailed with Brian when he was mate on the Joule. Happy days
Old 14th September 2018, 17:21
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978

Captain Glover

Captain Glover had a reputation for being tough to get along with. He was Master on the Clerk Maxwell in 1967 and promoted me from apprentice to 3/0. My first watch was in the Channel shortly after we left Tilbury. The weather conditions were bad and we jogged to and fro across the separation lanes with all kinds of traffic around. Later, we shared the bridge watch, six and six, while the Mate and 2/0 handled the gas-freeing operation on deck. Captain Glover was a great mentor and master, and I learnt a lot from him.

A couple of months later he was relieved by Captain Hedger who made it quite clear how he felt about uncertificated 3/0's. Frustrating, sometimes, how the atmosphere on a ship can become so different with a change in command.
Old 14th September 2018, 18:59

Coley68,

Can agree with your comments about Roy Southgate, he was first class, stood by the Faraday when he was mate, then next trip I was on Cavendish 3/E, paid of in Santos with Roy, Malcom Grey and his wife Diane, Dai Davies, John Ronicle who was Chief Steward and a cadet who I think his name was Howie.

Also sailed on the Cavendish with John Jubb, always good for an argument in the bar, also with that unique character Tom Woolcott, he was writing his book on Liquid Petroleum Gas Tanker Practice that trip.
Old 14th September 2018, 22:05

John Glover died within the last year. Met up with Captains Dyson,Whistler, Yeo and Nigel Matthews at the last Houlders 25 Club lunch in April. All in good health.
Old 15th September 2018, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Scotian View Post
Captain Glover had a reputation for being tough to get along with. He was Master on the Clerk Maxwell in 1967 and promoted me from apprentice to 3/0. My first watch was in the Channel shortly after we left Tilbury. The weather conditions were bad and we jogged to and fro across the separation lanes with all kinds of traffic around. Later, we shared the bridge watch, six and six, while the Mate and 2/0 handled the gas-freeing operation on deck. Captain Glover was a great mentor and master, and I learnt a lot from him.

Funny you should appreciate him, my experience was the opposite. He moaned about me (not to me) to all on board. It was not until we had a conversation, instigated by me, that he eased off. He told me he did not like U/3/Os, when I pointed out I was requiring Met only to get my ticket and that unless he told me my faults, rather than the steward, and mentored me I will never improve he eased off and did explain things. I am not saying I was bad or good. Just inexperienced.
The C/E told me that the C/O tried to moan about me (he was taking 40-45 mins for his dinner so I told him to stop taking the mick or he will starve), Glover told the Mate to lay off me, I can speak for myself.
He was not one for working as a team on the Bridge, as is evidenced by the Cumbria grounding.
Old 15th September 2018, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadders View Post
I was on Cavendish in 1975 my 2nd gas boat after the Joule. I also sailed on Humboldt, and Clerk Maxwell both as 1st Mate. I sailed with Roy Souhtgate, John Pope, John Jubb John Jacques and Brian Dyson as Master a mixed bunch to say the least. Southgate, Pope and Dogs Dyson were the best. Also sailed with Brian when he was mate on the Joule. Happy days
Really liked Dogsy as OM, saw him at the 25 club, didn't recognise him. Good to chat with him.