Houlder Offshore Ltd - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
12:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Houlder Offshore Ltd

User Tag List

Old 17th March 2008, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac068 View Post
As far as I know, Mervyn went back to Tassie, but, either could'nt settle there or wanted pastures new, so he went to West Australia, he died in a small community, inland from Perth, not far from the town of Midland. When I check back, I'll try to let you know the place. Anne Lowe was an executor for his will and eventually found out all the details.
Hi John.
Thanks for that info. Is Anne Lowe the Anne who used to work in the Kingsnorth side of the Catering Office, if so can you remember her maiden name and do you have an e-mail address or could pass a message on for me.
Regards
Leo
Old 17th March 2008, 16:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1950 - 2000

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
Hi John.
Thanks for that info. Is Anne Lowe the Anne who used to work in the Kingsnorth side of the Catering Office, if so can you remember her maiden name and do you have an e-mail address or could pass a message on for me.
Regards
Leo
Thats the one, I got the info from DereK McKay, don't have an email address for him, but will put his address and phone number on a PM for you, he will probably be at the "do" in June.
Old 18th March 2008, 05:28
Active: 1955 - 1986

My location
Did anyone come into contact with a lecky Fred Woodings on the Offshore side,believe he was on the UNcle John
Old 18th March 2008, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Bass View Post
Did anyone come into contact with a lecky Fred Woodings on the Offshore side,believe he was on the UNcle John
Good Morning Brian.
I worked with Fred on the Offshore side of things, although I cannot remember if it was "Oregis" or "Uncle John" The memory gets a bit dim with age you know. I'm sure he was with France Fenwick prior to that and might have been on the "Star Pinewood"
Regards
Leo
Old 18th March 2008, 14:47

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Bass View Post
Fred was on the Oregis, and later on the Uncle John for a short while. If my memory is correct, he left to take on a pub. I think it was in the West Country somewhere, close to where he lived.
Old 19th March 2008, 05:59
Active: 1955 - 1986

My location
Thanks for that guys,yes he was originally with FF on the Star Pinewood,but of course moved on when the Pinewood was sold, as did I.
Old 23rd March 2008, 18:19

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
Hi Angus.
I was there with you on "Oregis" for quite a while. Don Gilbertson was one of the "Characters" from Houlder Offshore and indeed he was one of the mainstays of the Liverpool Office, in fact, who he did not know in that port was not worth knowing. He was invaluable to the smooth operation of the Company there.
Regards
Hello Angus, Dont know whether you remember me on the Oregis/Coupler1. You are exactly right about Don Gilbertson he was a very welcome sight once back on shore.
Alan Tyler.
Old 26th March 2008, 00:06

Hello Alan, The old grey matter aint what it used to be but, according to a notrebook I still have we served quite a bit together on Oregis.I think John Melrose and Charlie Brodie were also on the Catering Staff then and also
during the long lay up off Invergordon. Happy days.
Best Regards
Angus D.
Old 1st April 2008, 23:30

Uncle John Reunion

Quote:
Just heard this evening that the next UJ reunion will be on the 13th/14th June at the usual venue (Airport Hotel, Newcastle if they still call it that !!!) Expecting final details by mail soon.
Robin Burgess doing the organising, no information in print as yet to be sent out, although understand hotel booked. Should hear anytime soon.

Chedds
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:55

My location
Alan Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedds View Post
Robin Burgess doing the organising, no information in print as yet to be sent out, although understand hotel booked. Should hear anytime soon.

Chedds
Hi just wondering if there,s any spare places at the reunion,as I,d be interested if there was.
Alan T.
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:52

Quote:
Uncle John - Multipurpose Diving Support Vessel.

A dynamically positioned semi-submersible with six columns, the first completely original design and the first vessel to be built to meet the demands of offshore oilfield construction and maintenance. Commissioned in 1977.
Length of pontoons 77.00 metres
Width overall 57.63 "

Accomodation 102 persons, 98 berths in two man cabins, 4 in single cabins.
Generation plant, 5 diesel generator sets generating a total of 7,500 kW at 6000V (UMS)

Propulsion. Two fore and aft VP thrusters each 3,000HP, Six transverse thrusters each 1,000 HP.

Firefighting. 3 Fire pumps giving in total 32,000 US gallons/min or 7,200m3/h in up to Force 12.

Diving System. Saturation complex. Four living chambers rated to 450 metres, each with four bunks, 2,300mm diameter, capable of three working levels. One transfer and shower/toilet chamber. Two 3 man diving bells rated to 350 metres.

Cranage. Two 100/50 tonne Aker cranes. Main hoists rated at 100t at 11m outreach to 160m water depth and 50t at 20m outreach to 360m water depth on single fall. Frd crane one 10t whip hoist to 360m water depth, after crane one 15t hoist.
Was this design based on the Sedco 700 series?

Also sad news about Norman. was in touch with him recently about his brother in law who I last saw in 1955. I renewed aquaintance with Norman via this site. We had N. Sea common interests in the old days. Very sad indeed
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

Also sad news about Norman. was in touch with him recently about his brother in law who I last saw in 1955. I renewed aquaintance with Norman via this site. We had N. Sea common interests in the old days. Very sad indeed
Sorry Norman! 'the reports of your death are somewhat exaggerated'.

I feel a right 'tit' (and sometimes a left one!
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:59

Quote:
Sorry Norman! 'the reports of your death are somewhat exaggerated'.

I feel a right 'tit' (and sometimes a left one!
I'm actally a complete set! - this is really for Roddy McSween
Old 4th April 2008, 16:00

My location
Quote:

More like a scaled down Aker H3. The principal designer was Tor Harvie, with tweaking from John houlder and the Houlder Drawing Office team. It was a one off !
Old 8th May 2008, 23:14

My location
At last have received confirmation that there will be an "Uncle John" Reunion on the 13/14th June at the Britannia Airport Hotel, Newcastle. Any interested parties, can PM me for details of contacts, prices etc. All ex UJ guys welcome, will be pleased to see you all. With luck, UJ himself will be there, he usually attends.
Old 26th May 2008, 12:26

My location
Alan T.

Quote:
At last have received confirmation that there will be an "Uncle John" Reunion on the 13/14th June at the Britannia Airport Hotel, Newcastle. Any interested parties, can PM me for details of contacts, prices etc. All ex UJ guys welcome, will be pleased to see you all. With luck, UJ himself will be there, he usually attends.
Would loved to be at the reunion, unfortunately it clashes with our first granddaughters christening in Bedfordshire. Please convey my very best to all who attend, I,ll be there in spirit!!!
Alan Tyler
Old 12th January 2009, 15:23

My location
Any of you ex Oregis/Uncle John hands heard from Dennis Moore recently. I have had a Christmas Card from him every year since he left the UJ, last year it was a real work of art, a collage of pictures of his house boat and Little Venice scenes, this year - nothing, so am a bit concerned. Any news would be appreciated.
Old 12th January 2009, 18:20

Quote:
Any of you ex Oregis/Uncle John hands heard from Dennis Moore recently. I have had a Christmas Card from him every year since he left the UJ, last year it was a real work of art, a collage of pictures of his house boat and Little Venice scenes, this year - nothing, so am a bit concerned. Any news would be appreciated.
Hi John.
Have you tried the authorities at the canal as I am sure he is registered with them. Found a link on Google, a short film about Dens Dens on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REDiEg6wzMU Hope it works. Trust you are well and a happy New Year.
Regards
Leo
Old 13th January 2009, 14:31

My location
Thanks for that Leo, that clip looks as though it was in October, so hopefully, he is still OK. I've got an email address for him somewhere, will have to try and find it.
Old 15th January 2009, 15:39

My location
Smile

Hi John, Just watched the clip of Den, great to see him after all these years. I certainly hope he,s well, he was a real character and a main man in the catering department, well liked by all.
On another note John what became of Houlder offshore as a company. I left in 1986 and there was talk of a merger with Stena. Thanks for any info. Alan
Old 16th January 2009, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
Hi John, Just watched the clip of Den, great to see him after all these years. I certainly hope he,s well, he was a real character and a main man in the catering department, well liked by all.
On another note John what became of Houlder offshore as a company. I left in 1986 and there was talk of a merger with Stena. Thanks for any info. Alan
Hi Alan.
You're right about Den being a character. I first met him on the "Furness Bridge" and I upset him one day when giving him a bollocking. He went on strike on me and locked himself in his cabin and I had to bribe him out with a bottle of vodka.
Mind you though Alan I think we remember ships by the characters we sailed with.
Regards
Leo
Old 16th January 2009, 14:12
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Houlder Offshore

Anyone know if John Pickles is still "with us"?
Old 18th January 2009, 10:17

When the High Seas Driller was delivered from South Korea she was piggy backed on a ship. When sorting out boxes looking for my discharge book I came across the video of her loading, voyage and delivery. What luck, Iíve not seen the film for years. Sorry to say all I got was a very misted picture for about 10 seconds and the odd squeak. Would be grateful if anyone got a copy.
Old 4th June 2009, 16:31

Gents I only just found this site and as much as I have enjoyed reading the posts from many ex-crewmates, to see some of the names of those who have passed away was a shock! Norman Mac, I remember his first day on the UJ we shared a cabin then years later I was in personnel with *** and was ordered to go to the airport with the Breathalyzer for Norman as he had been bounced at the heliport. I blew in the tester and Norman passed shh. Norman was one of the nicest guys I ever meet. As for DenDens Simon Mac sent an interesting article about DenDens from the Guardian all about his life in little Venice. Bill Connolly did die while being taken to the hospital to get results of some tests he had done, the results of which were he had terminal cancer, so perhaps a blessing in disguise. He had been alowed home for the weekend and was on the way back to get the results. Bill had left a message on my phone which I heard when I come home from holiday but by the time I got it he passed away, to many a sad loss and a very good friend.
Old 9th June 2009, 23:34

Orelia

A photo to go with the UJ

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...0/ppuser/37197

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
LE0, Thanks for the e mail thought this photo might bring back some memories, good ones i hope Alan T.