Houlder Offshore Ltd - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
07:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Houlder Offshore Ltd

User Tag List

Old 10th June 2009, 10:07

Hi George.
That's a brilliant photo. Nice to see you on the site. Lot's of old mates here. Enjoy.
Leo
Old 10th June 2009, 14:55
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1950 - 2000

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by duquesa View Post
Anyone know if John Pickles is still "with us"?
Funny enough, I thought the same thing just before Christmas, I knew that he had been converting a big old house near Tarves, north of Aberdeen, a job that had been going on forever ! Anyway, I asked the guy who used to be our accountant in Houlder-Comex (David Heklaar) who had recently moved to Tarves, if John was still there. David told me that he had seen him at church just before Christmas.
Old 10th June 2009, 15:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1950 - 2000

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
Hi John, Just watched the clip of Den, great to see him after all these years. I certainly hope he,s well, he was a real character and a main man in the catering department, well liked by all.
On another note John what became of Houlder offshore as a company. I left in 1986 and there was talk of a merger with Stena. Thanks for any info. Alan
Sorry that I have not got back to you on this, before. Stena Offshore bought Houlder Offshore, including Houlder Marine Drilling in 1989 ( I think thats right !!) Can't remember the figure, but, it was a good deal for Stena. This came about, when the long involved tale of FW, C Y Tung, and China Merchants got involved. China Merchants were not interested in the offshore section and sold it on. Stena later sold most of the rigs to Transocean, making a handsome profit. After a couple of years, UJ was sold to Caldive, now Helix, and as far as I know, she is still working, 32 years after commissioning. Some personnel went to Caldive with her, others stayed with Stena, now Technip !! Technip still operate "Orelia" and have recently put a proper bow on her !! The Houlder-Comex office staff went to Stena in Westhills, but not for long, they made me redundant, six months later (best thing that ever happened !!) and the rest resigned shortly after. The only part of Houlders that still exists, is what was Houlder Offshore Engineering, now Houlder Ltd. This was formed by JMH when he made all the Houlder Drawing Office staff redundant, and got them to put their redundancy money into forming a stand alone company, which Houlders had an interest in. That interest passed to Stena, but, HOE later bought the interest out, so they are completely independant now.Hope that answers your question, long time ago now, so had to rack the old memory cells a bit !
Old 10th June 2009, 15:29

John Pickles was working out of Venezuela a couple of years ago I believe he and his kept the house going in Tarves.
Old 30th July 2009, 21:23

Uj

C-MAR have crewed the Uncle John since CDI bought her. I supply a few Canadians from C-MAR Canada, some have now been on UJ for more than 5 years. Present Master is from Newfoundland.
Old 1st August 2009, 13:01

My location
Houlder Offshore

Hi John, thanks for the information on the company. I.ve done a history on my days deep-sea and now moving on to my time offshore. Its just purely for my own interest and possibly any of the family that might want to know what dad did in his younger days.
all the Best Alan.
Old 1st August 2009, 13:05

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Simpson View Post
Great photo George, have you thought of photography as a new career? Alan
Old 2nd August 2009, 19:17

Alan it was taken by a dive tech and he played around with it to get the finished result. I leave the japanese tourist bit to my wife Mrs Snap Happy!
Old 10th August 2009, 13:03

My location
"Mc Nasty"

Anybody out there remember John Mc Nelis (Mc Nasty) the medic offshore, he was a great guy and a top medic. He went to New Zealand after finishing offshore and we lost touch, wondering if anyone knew how he,s getting on.
Old 11th August 2009, 13:23

ALAN, regards Mc Nasty, the last I heard about was that he had found Jesus in a big way whilst in N.Z. Bob Whittaker
Old 11th August 2009, 19:47

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB.WHITTAKER View Post
ALAN, regards Mc Nasty, the last I heard about was that he had found Jesus in a big way whilst in N.Z. Bob Whittaker
Thanks for that Bob, a touch hard to take in at first but if thats the way he went fair play to him. I,ve many happy memories of my time with him at work and play!!
Old 12th August 2009, 09:58

Bay Driller and Morecambe Flame ALAN,you enquired about the two Morecambe Bay rigs, the Bay Driller became the Glomar Adriatic XI and has been working pretty much worldwide for many years. The Morecambe Flame was very heavily modified around the early 1990 s and has been a semi permanent maintenance and sevices platform on the Douglas Field just of the North Wales coast since then.Somewhere between Mostyn and Rhyl there is or was a visitors centre with various displays. However I am not sure if the centre or the rig are still there.
Old 13th August 2009, 07:04

My location
Uncle John is most definately still working in the GOM as I am out there myself right now working with some guys who have come off her in the last couple of months,They tell me the accomodation has had a bit of updating but not to much the cinema is the same by all counts ..The main contractors to which I am working for at the moment has some sort of project on there (Wild Well) If anyone would like any specific info it would not be any trouble for me to find out for them if at all possible.I myself have been trying to beg some of the new T shirts but no success at the moment!!
Old 20th December 2009, 15:14

My location
Eddie Moore (Sparky)

Anybody out there who remembers Eddie Moore. He used to "commute" to the Oregis from Spain. Later I think he moved back to the UK. He used to stay at my house quite often then we,d travel up to Aberdeen together. He was quite a ladies man, no offence Eddie if you ever get to read this!!!
Old 20th December 2009, 16:31

Alan, Eddie is still offshore with Stena Drilling he works on the Stena Spey as RO.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:33

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Simpson View Post
Alan, Eddie is still offshore with Stena Drilling he works on the Stena Spey as RO.
Hi George, Thanks for that, suprised he,s still working especially offshore. I was presuming he would have retired by now, if memory serves me right he was a couple of years older than me. All the Best and have a great Xmas. Alan.
Old 23rd January 2010, 00:12

My location
RIP CYRIL STAINTON
It is with deep regret That I am informing members and friends of the sad crossing of the bar of Cyril Stainton of Hull ..well known stalwart of Houlders offshore..Having just left his brother this afternoon it came as a great shock to all his old shipmates and friends although not been seen in the usual seamens hangouts for a number years his memory will live on.
Old 23rd January 2010, 09:51

Very sad news about Cyril I first meet him on the Kingsnorth Rigs in the mid70s. He then agreed to transfer to the DKN when I had enough of West Africa that was 1990. Geoff can you pass on my condolences to his family, he was a good guy.
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:02

Hi Geoff.
That's sad news. Cyril was another of the characters with Houlders. Please pass my condolences alongside those of George's to his family.

Regards

Leo
Old 26th February 2010, 11:27

My location
Quote:
Hi George, Thanks for that, suprised he,s still working especially offshore. I was presuming he would have retired by now, if memory serves me right he was a couple of years older than me. All the Best and have a great Xmas. Alan.
Hi George, Just to let you know Eddie has been in touch over the last week. Great to hear from him and he,s well and fit and as you said still working offshore. Alan
Old 18th April 2010, 21:37

My location
Shelf Driller/KUK

Couple of photos of the of two rigs I was on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHIPS&RIGS 001.jpg (69.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 18th April 2010, 21:38

My location
Quote:
Couple of photos of the of two rigs I was on.
Oops only got the KUK!!
Old 19th April 2010, 14:45

My location
Shelf Driller

Second time lucky!! (Thanks Mark)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alan_-_Shelf_Driller_3[2].jpg (151.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 19th April 2010, 15:12
user

My location
Quote:
Second time lucky!! (Thanks Mark)
Well done
Old 19th April 2010, 15:48

Hi Alan.
Any idea where the KUK was at the time the photo was taken.

Regards

Leo