Brandon Priory - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
01:04

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Brandon Priory

User Tag List

Old 19th May 2009, 13:59

With tongue in cheek, I might build up some courage and visit the house where Alan used to live with his two brothers, the oldest caled Fred. A lady called Nell and a lot older than the lads lived there, but I never had the temerity to ask what relation she was. I suspect guardian.
Old 19th May 2009, 15:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - 1983

Alan was living in Santos Brazil. Sure his wife was from there.
Old 19th May 2009, 16:17
Active: 1970 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
Alan was living in Santos Brazil. Sure his wife was from there.
I know for certain Alan was living there in 1979 but after paying off from the Cavendish that year I loast touch with him. I did have an address for him in Santos and sent him a letter but about 3 years after sending it I got it back and assumed he no longer lived at the same address. (or he did not want to hear from me, joking).

I know he had two kids and then his wife was rushed to hospital when carrying the third. He was C/E on the Cavendish with me as 2/E and he left to be with his wife so I was C/E for a couple of weeks until they found another one to come out.
Old 23rd October 2009, 13:54

Hi all
The fire started in the boiler room feb 1975. We were off Port elizabeth, It actually started on my job while I was working on the forced air fans at the very top of the boiler room. I had washed out a bearing with some fluid the Scottish 2nd engineer had given me. The heat up there was tremendous. all I can think happened was the cleaning fluid self combusted due to the heat. I was always having to be operating the dreaded Gland valve while we were on standby. I lost a stone or two in 3 months. This was first and last trip at sea. I am sure all the Engineers and crew will remember my trip with them.

Regards Peter Warrender (Thor)
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:03

Hi Peter and a warm welcome to SN.

Malcolm, Marinejockey, has mentioned that valve in earlier posts here. I don't recall having any trouble in that direction, but I left in Houlder Bros. in 1966 having been mainly on the Brandon and Bidford for six years.

It certainly was hot up by the forced draught fans in the boiler room. I remember blowing tubes by hand when I was J/E when it was too hot to breath up by the economisers in the gulf at the hottest part of the summer. Any attempt to do so would give a burning sensation in the mouth so that it was necessary to nip round to the back of the economisers, get a breath and hold it till the economiser sootblower had been operated.

Despite having everything on the menu and a return on the main course at every meal, I used to come home on leave a mere ten and a half stone, quite light for a bloke of five foot eleven.

Best wishes

Bob W.
Old 28th October 2009, 14:19

Hi Thor,

I was on the Brandon between March 74 and July 74 as a cadet eng. and I remember that Gland steam valve like I was standing in front of it right now. The gauge was about 4" in diameter and the valve was about 10 to 15 feet aft of the door that gave you direct access to the port-side crews alleyway.

I think we had to keep the pressure above 90 PSI. Any standing still on the plates or grating in front of the valve resulted in your shoes melting. Those temperatures must have conditioned my mind to stay away from the cold as I live in Florida and here we are at the end of October and it is 91 degree's outside and it is just after 9am.

Hi Bob, any walking lately or any good photo's of the old country.
Old 29th October 2009, 20:35

Hi Bob, any walking lately or any good photo's of the old country.

Yes, I was up at Kielder two weeks ago, and sent you an Email with a link to photos of a walk around the Bull Crag peninsular, which it sounds as if you didn't get.

Kind regards

Bob
Old 29th October 2009, 20:52

Those temperatures must have conditioned my mind to stay away from the cold as I live in Florida and here we are at the end of October and it is 91 degree's outside and it is just after 9am.

This sounds very familiar Malcolm. I was surprised to find that after decades away from the REAL heat, exposure to higher temperatures has less effect on me than on others who have not had that baptism of fire up by the economizers at the peak of Persian Gulf and Red Sea summers. Nora my wife and her sister Blanche were wilting at Palm Springs with temps of about 100 deg f and I had to refrain from saying "What, this is nowt man"

In Majorca recently when my son and his wife accompanied me on a couple of walks of about 8 miles when it was 93 deg. F, according to the car thermometer, I wasn't at all bothered.

Cold weather is a different matter!

Bob
Old 9th November 2009, 17:59

Dear Bombersman, l have found my way to this forum whilst trying to research my family tree. You mention an Albert Scurr, who may be a relation of mine. Do you recall any other information about Albert, such as birthplace, did he mention any siblings etc. It may be that your Albert Scurr is not the one l hope he may be, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Anything you may remember about him would be appreciated, if only to rule him out.
Old 10th November 2009, 13:55

Hi Lesleywoodhouse, and my I extend a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia (SN).

Albert was born (I think) or spent the early years of his life in North Shields and lived in the area previously known as "The ridges" or Ridgeway estate later renamed The Meadowell estate. Whether or not he was born there I am not certain, but believe he was.

I seem to recall that he mentioned that he had sisters, two at least but seldom mentioned his family.

He was older than me by about a year or two which would make him 72 or 73 years old. He sailed with Houlders from 1960 till about 1964/5. This included a trip on the brandon Priory on her maiden voyage when she ran the HP turbine thrust. Prior to that he had sailed on a coaster called the "Bokum" (sp?) which was a steam recip. job.

I think that he served his apprenticeship at North eastern Marine.

He now lives in Howdon, North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear. Previously after marrying he lived at Percy Main.

I hope that this helps.

Kind regards

Bob W.
Old 17th November 2009, 22:11

Hi All,

I sailed with Pete on the voyage that had the engine room fire.I was sailing as 4th Engr.Joined the ship in the gulf on the way to Ras Tunura.Capt Luff was master,2nd mate Drake,3rd mate Jim Gray.C/E Ellis Mason,Sammy Mcgarray,2E Ronnie Marr,3E Ron Pennycook J/E Gordon Morcom.
Lots of extra engineers joined after the fire along with Welders from the U.k. to help carry out repairs.

A few more trips were made to Bonny for oil before we took the ship to breakers yard in Spain.

Given more time probaly remember other names of other guys.
Kind Regards

steam train
Old 26th March 2011, 03:35

150psig was the de-sup range pressure on the brandon on my first trip to sea i joined in hambourg on leaving going down the elb i was placed in front of said valve at 0400hrs being told that if the pressure dropped to much the turbo alternators would loose vacum and we would blackout [total electrical failiour] i stayed until about1400hrs at wich time i staggered down to the boiler room the third engineer looked after me and abused the second for forgeting about me looking back i find this quite amusing i was told by an old fireman/donkeyman that if you could put up with this you could sail on any ship he was spot on
Old 28th March 2011, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob mcc View Post
150psig was the de-sup range pressure on the brandon on my first trip to sea i joined in hambourg on leaving going down the elb i was placed in front of said valve at 0400hrs being told that if the pressure dropped to much the turbo alternators would loose vacum and we would blackout [total electrical failiour] i stayed until about1400hrs at wich time i staggered down to the boiler room the third engineer looked after me and abused the second for forgeting about me looking back i find this quite amusing i was told by an old fireman/donkeyman that if you could put up with this you could sail on any ship he was spot on
Hi Rob, was that the valve at the top of the boiler room on the port-side that was manually operated by the youngest or newest first tripper or by a cadet or junior who had p155ed the 2nd off. It was supposed to be automatic but like the soot blowers the automation had long gone.

I had the privelege of doing that job at each stand-by up the gulf in July & August. Standing up there I often wondered what the heck was I thinking but as you said if you could do that job you could do anything including operating those soot blowers by hand, what was it nine turns in and nine turns out for each 11 blowers, what ever it was, it was frigging hard.

Happy memories
Old 1st April 2012, 09:56
Active: 1957 - 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINEJOCKY View Post
I wonder what ever happened to Alan Lowery, does he have any family in Newcastle who could help. As I have posted previously I thought Alan was great and learnt so much from him and always had a good laugh.
I remember Alan and yes he was a good guy. Mason then Donker were the chiefs. Years later I was in the Leadenhall office downstairs and met my wife's uncle Jimmy Reid for the first time and Harry Donker was there though I'm not sure what he was doing then.
Old 12th April 2012, 19:37

Hi there all,
Anyone remember when we caught the chief steward and the chief cook selling
food in Las Palmas. Ron Duke called the local police as the captain wasn't on board. The food was pretty lousy anyway, then we knew why. We used to get frozen chickens and cook them on the turbines gland steam
Old 13th April 2012, 07:09

Warwick Tanker Company Ltd.

Founded by Houlder Bros. & Company Ltd., to take over the contracts from, and operate the ships on guaranteed contract to the B.P. Tanker Company Ltd.

BRANDON PRIORY (1960 - 1975)
O.N. 301101. 22,735g. 12,582n. 35,703d. 683' 0" x 86' 5" x 37' 8"
Two, steam turbines by Hawthorn, Leslie (Engineering) Ltd., Newcastle, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 15,500shp.
5.10.1959: Launched by Hawthorn, Leslie (Shipbuilders) Ltd., Newcastle (Yard No. 741) for Warwick Tanker Company Ltd., (Houlder Bros & Company Ltd., managers), London.
5.1960: Completed.
9.6.1975: Arrived at Castellon for demolition.

BIDFORD PRIORY (1960 - 1975)
O.N. 301242. 22,748g. 12,596n. 37,148d. 683' 2" x 86' 5" x 38' 11"
Two, steam turbines by the shipbuilder, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 15,500shp.
27.4.1960: Launched by Cammell, Laird (Shipbuilders and Engineers) Ltd., Birkenhead (Yard No. 1280) for Warwick Tanker Company Ltd., (Houlder Bros & Company Ltd., managers), London.
10.1960: Completed.
29.10.1975: Arrived at Faslane for demolition by Shipbreaking Industries Ltd.
Old 13th April 2012, 09:30

steamship

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
Warwick Tanker Company Ltd.

Founded by Houlder Bros. & Company Ltd., to take over the contracts from, and operate the ships on guaranteed contract to the B.P. Tanker Company Ltd.

BRANDON PRIORY (1960 - 1975)
O.N. 301101. 22,735g. 12,582n. 35,703d. 683' 0" x 86' 5" x 37' 8"
Two, steam turbines by Hawthorn, Leslie (Engineering) Ltd., Newcastle, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 15,500shp.
5.10.1959: Launched by Hawthorn, Leslie (Shipbuilders) Ltd., Newcastle (Yard No. 741) for Warwick Tanker Company Ltd., (Houlder Bros & Company Ltd., managers), London.
5.1960: Completed.
9.6.1975: Arrived at Castellon for demolition.

BIDFORD PRIORY (1960 - 1975)
O.N. 301242. 22,748g. 12,596n. 37,148d. 683' 2" x 86' 5" x 38' 11"
Two, steam turbines by the shipbuilder, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 15,500shp.
27.4.1960: Launched by Cammell, Laird (Shipbuilders and Engineers) Ltd., Birkenhead (Yard No. 1280) for Warwick Tanker Company Ltd., (Houlder Bros & Company Ltd., managers), London.
10.1960: Completed.
29.10.1975: Arrived at Faslane for demolition by Shipbreaking Industries Ltd.
BillH, Could just be Bill Hunt or maybe not. Were you on the Hornby Grange Bill?
Old 5th July 2012, 12:40

Brandon Priory

There is an article in yesterdays Shields Gazette regarding Hawthorn Leslie's and the Brandon. Includes a photo of her on the stocks.
Old 5th July 2012, 13:50
Active: 1964 - 1978

I was on the Brandon Priory from sept66 to April67.Joined late at night in Falmouth roads,broke down in the Bay of Biscay,waited 24hrs. for a tug from Hamburg called Eros to tow us to Vigo, had to slip the anchor and pull the cable aboard from which she towed us.Blacked out for 3 days.affected temporary repairs.Sailed to Genoa shipyard,there for 4 weeks, down the Black Cat and various others each night, while there the aft ballast tanks were convert to carry oil which increased her deadweight from 35 to 42,000 tons also put storm doors on the stewards cross alleyway which were wood. Sailed from Genoa several uneventful trips from the Gulf to Aden and the Med.eventually LEFO paid off in Flushing,the Capt. was JW Richards from Falmouth I believe.
Old 5th September 2012, 09:27

Marinejockey aka Malcolm has, like me, wondered about Alan Lowry.

I have not posted here for a long time due to suspected online identity theft causing me to discontinue all internet activity. I am posting via a friends computer.

You wil be pleased to know, Malcolm, that Alan rang me at home on Saturday night last and has been reading our posts. He is reluctant to post here however!

Alan had been visiting his brothers who live in the street that I used to live in but was due to fly back to Brazil next day and didn't have time to visit me. He is returning to UK next year and I hope to meet him again then.

Kind regards

Bob W
Old 6th September 2012, 04:01

Hi Bob, I just posted a question to you on another thread about Alan wondering if he was aware of this site and now I know obviously he is.

I can see his face laughing at some of the BS on here, so say Hi to him from me and ask him if he still has the pillow case stuffed with Pu--- hair from his exploits ashore, before he was married of course.
Old 6th September 2012, 10:39

Mornin' again Malcolm.

I posted on both boards to ensure that you got the info.

Warmest good wishes

Bob W
Old 5th May 2015, 00:44

Smile Capt. Luff.

Capt. Luff.
Was old style. But that was how he came up. Nice enough guy when things were going good. Relied on the system that got him up to captain.