Clerk-Maxwell - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
13:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Clerk-Maxwell

User Tag List

Old 31st January 2013, 00:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINEJOCKY View Post

I will reply longer later but I am off shore on a 75 princess
Regards, malcolm
She's a bit young for you, isn't she?

As forecast by Mal this is John P I was 3/O on the same trip.

The engineer did indeed go through a plate glass window, the circumstances of which evade me.

I always thought it was the guy with the Ginger hair in my photo of the Cumbria gang though since I have been corrected (I think)
Old 31st January 2013, 04:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Rio

Now now John P. no telling tales about Rio on this very public forum

I think bill was blond, tall & skinny, I remember the fight starting but for some unknown reason they only picked on bill and left me alone then all of a sudden he was pushed backwards and went thru the window which was a pretty big one. Police and ambulance soon turned up. I know I went to the hospital see him, not sure if others were with me.

How and why the fight started I have no idea but that must have been nearly 40 years ago.

How's the weather John, hate to tell you but I am sitting outside at 11.30pm and it is 75.
Old 2nd February 2013, 21:06

Weather cold and crisp. Just got home, they have sold my favourite ship, well its not so much the ship as the people.
Still life goes on, wondering where they will send me now.
Old 4th February 2013, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Bridges View Post
Hi everyone, just found this amazing site and spent all afternoon on ii! Did 2 tripos on the Clerk-Maxwell, names posted I remember sailing with(not neccessarily on the Max), Keith Reay, Hugh Thomas(college as well), Geoff Usher,Tony the Welder, Les Cutriss, Mick Dale,John Jenkins(Orenda) Frank Cusworth, Arthur Swift,Malcolm Elliot(Cumbria)Bob Mc Cusker, Bill Murcoch,'Gentleman' Tom Reid,I could go on and on now I've started, would be great to hear from anyone- I was with Houlders 1973-1983, Best Wishes to all that I sailed with, Nick Bridges
Hi Nick
This is daft but did you brew beer in your shed down the bottom of the garden while having a bonfire, this must have come from a conversation we had on the simple pleasures when on leave. Must have been Llandaff college but which course/ship we met Iím stumped
Hope youíre in good health.
Hugh.
Old 4th February 2013, 20:52

Hi Hugh, thanks for e-mail ,remember you well-think we were both on the Max, certainly at Llandaff College, 2nds and Chiefs.Do you remember Chris Potter on the course, think he runs a gun-shop in the South-East.
I used to brew my own beer-in the kitchen- and drink it sat by a bonfire at the bottom of the garden, funny the the things that stick, didn't you do hair-cutting on board?On the Max, I think Neil Parker was Chief, Geoff Usher 2nd, Jimmy Heaney(with wife Nicky nee Cartwright, ex cadet)Pat Muckle Lecky-did 2 trips and get them mixed I think.Remember earlier trips, Cumbria, Orenda, Westbury, better than later ones
What are you doing now?Best Wishes, Nick
Old 4th February 2013, 21:22

HiMalcolm and John, good to hear from you both, remember the Cumbria well, what a great trip!Bill Bradley was indeed tall, blond and skinny, I sailed with him later, on the Orenda I think.Tony Miller was Chief when I joined, then Jackie Scotland and his wife. 2nd Fred Lowson, 3rd Vernon Dukes, 4th Tom Reid, plus Malcolm and myself. On deck I remember Capt. Glover-was it him that chucked all the jungle-bunnies off in Rio?Boo-Hoo!-Henry Burgess C/o, Melvyn Oliver 2nd mate, yourself John as 3rd mate,cadets Kevin Moore and Chris Francis, Lecky was George Sutherland, then Les Kane.What a memory!(now, where are my glasses?!)I remember the earlier trips a lot better than the later ones.Best Wishes to you both and all former shipmates, Nick Bridges
Old 17th February 2013, 11:29

Quote:
Hi Hugh, thanks for e-mail ,remember you well-think we were both on the Max, certainly at Llandaff College, 2nds and Chiefs.Do you remember Chris Potter on the course, think he runs a gun-shop in the South-East.
I used to brew my own beer-in the kitchen- and drink it sat by a bonfire at the bottom of the garden, funny the the things that stick, didn't you do hair-cutting on board?On the Max, I think Neil Parker was Chief, Geoff Usher 2nd, Jimmy Heaney(with wife Nicky nee Cartwright, ex cadet)Pat Muckle Lecky-did 2 trips and get them mixed I think.Remember earlier trips, Cumbria, Orenda, Westbury, better than later ones
What are you doing now?Best Wishes, Nick
Hi Nick
Yes I think I did a bit of barbering, I had forgotten CCP and your self were at Llandaff.
I left in 86 with my first son on the way.And joined Trinity House lighthouse service and I'm still here. I get my Max trips confused I remember all of the above,but on which trip ?
Hope your keeping well
Hugh.
Old 14th May 2013, 22:52
Active: 1970 - 1978

Clerk-Maxwell

Les Cuttress was certainly Master on the Black Max sailed with him on a few trips. Paid off with him in Curacao dec 74.
I believe also during 75 and 76 Mick Dale c/o .
Old 14th May 2013, 23:07
Active: 1970 - 1978

Clerk-Maxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyn moorhouse View Post
i joined clerk maxwell on 3-6-74 @ punta cardon maracaibo as a 1st trip junior engineer along with captain matthews & jim clarke the leaving captain was les cuttriss i paid off 28-10-74 anyone remember me?
Hi Glyn I was second 29-7-74 to 16-12-74 left with Les so together but I am afraid gray cells bit dormant give me some memory joggers.
Old 17th July 2013, 14:02

Quote:
On the Max, I think Neil Parker was Chief, Geoff Usher 2nd, Jimmy Heaney(with wife Nicky nee Cartwright, ex cadet)Pat Muckle Lecky-did 2 trips and get them mixed I think.
Nick - I was on the Mad Max at the same time when Jimmy & Nicky and Pat Muckle were onboard. I was the R/O.
Remember (in a fuzzy way) some very heavy nights in the bar on that trip ;-)

Hope you're well
JOC
Old 17th July 2013, 14:42
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC42 View Post
Nick - I was on the Mad Max at the same time when Jimmy & Nicky and Pat Muckle were onboard. I was the R/O.
Remember (in a fuzzy way) some very heavy nights in the bar on that trip ;-)

Hope you're well
JOC
I was R/O on the Faraday and heavy nights in the bar were par for the course Our cheese and wine parties were legend - 1/2lb of cheddar and a supermarket trolly full to the brim with wine. Next day wine all gone. Someone said let's have another, get some more wine but don't bother with getting any more cheese as we still have plenty left
Old 29th July 2013, 07:19

Hi, Its an old thread here i stumbled on, but i sailed on the black max in 79/80 master was M J Dale.
Prior the max I was eng cadet on the humboldt on the Riga/Rouen run,Summer 78! deck cadet was paid off sick so i had to take over the deck watch on reliquification. I was never so bored in my life!!
But i used to cool my coke with the purge line that came down on deck!! seems the mate and master liked the idea as well as they used to scream something from the bridge wing
rgds
Ian