Houlders Ore Carriers - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
21:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Houlders Ore Carriers

User Tag List

Old 16th December 2005, 10:58
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
When I was on the M/S Arabella one of her regular loading ports was Nouadhibu in Mauritania West Africa. If you wanted a drink there you had to travel in to the next country Spanish Sahara, I think it was about 20-30 minutes by car.

Frank
Old 16th December 2005, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P
When I was on the M/S Arabella one of her regular loading ports was Nouadhibu in Mauritania West Africa. If you wanted a drink there you had to travel in to the next country Spanish Sahara, I think it was about 20-30 minutes by car.

Frank
Most people don't realize that the word "pisspot" is actually derived from the word "passport".

For ore carrier afficionados with fond memories of Monrovia and Lower Buchanan: today, 16th December in 1821, Lt Robert Stockton and Dr Eli Ayers, a naval surgeon and member of the American Colonizing Society, induced a local African king to sell territory for a colony which later became the Republic of Liberia.

Coincidentally, on the same day 48 years prior to that event, the Boston Tea Party took place - American anti-colonialists chucked 300 chests of tea overboard from a British ship in Boston.

Information from "www.seawaves.com" - free "This Day in History" - check it out and keep up with the nautical past.

Sadly, particularly for any of our descendents who live there, Liberia has been a bit of a disaster area for quite a few years now. Bring back President Tubman - I've probably still got a tee shirt with his picture on.

John T.
Old 16th December 2005, 13:50

The Oregis was my first ship - joined her in Irlam dock just before Christmas 1966.
I was junior R/O to Pete Benney.Stayed on her for 3 months before joining the Cunarders (Carinthia then the Caronia)Some good memories!!!
Bob
Old 16th December 2005, 14:38
user

My location
Bob, there is more than an equal chance that I was on OREGIS at that time, as I joined her in Workington towards the end of 1966 and remember being in Irlam quite soon after joining her and several times after that. Oh the joy or taking 4 hours to sail up to Manchester just to turn the ship round and then pass the berth we had vacated earlier, but now heading the opposite direction some 8 hours later.
Old 6th January 2006, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinj
Memories are fond of Port Talbot (well the local pubs and one crumy nightclub who's name alludes me).
Red House and the Talbot?
Old 6th January 2006, 21:26

WHAT ABOUT MABEL WARWICK, WAS she not a little orecow????
Old 6th January 2006, 22:41

Ore Carriers

This brings back memories: I was 'sent' to Falmouth...to join the Stancloud...when I got there I was met at the station...2 blokes said, "You for the Stancloud?" Yep..."Would you prefer to join the Pennyworth...going to Vittoria? Would I??!! I met up with the Stancloud 18 months later...in Bandar Mashur...still the same crowd...they came onto a BP...looking for a decent feed!! 'nuff said? Vix
Old 7th January 2006, 09:00
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa002f0328
WHAT ABOUT MABEL WARWICK, WAS she not a little orecow????
She was a lovely ship and a lovely name too.
Old 7th January 2006, 09:36

Hi Tonga. The Oregis was my first ship.Irlam to Narvik with Pete Benney as Chief R/O.Got a picture of him somewhere.Joined on 28.12.66 and paid off 31.3.67.I remember it was a good trip with a good introduction/training from Pete.I believe you are on Anglesey - so am I (in Llanfairpwllgwyn-etc)Call in to Topaz.Regards.Bob
Old 7th January 2006, 16:11
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Davies
Hi Tonga. The Oregis was my first ship.Irlam to Narvik with Pete Benney as Chief R/O.Got a picture of him somewhere.Joined on 28.12.66 and paid off 31.3.67.I remember it was a good trip with a good introduction/training from Pete.I believe you are on Anglesey - so am I (in Llanfairpwllgwyn-etc)Call in to Topaz.Regards.Bob
Hello Bob,

As I did a voyage from Irlam to Narvik in January 1967 it seems very likely we were on board together, The Master was Captain Oddy I think?

I'm not sure why you come to the conclusion that I'm on Angelsey? Whilst Islands are definitely my forte, they tend to be Tongan rather than British.

Kind regards
Tonga
Old 7th January 2006, 16:18

Smile

Hi Tonga,
Oh dear - open mouth insert both feet.
Bob

PS I must have looked at someon else`s profile.Sorry

Last edited by Bob Davies; 7th January 2006 at 16:20.. Reason: apologies
Old 7th January 2006, 18:14
user

My location
Hi Bob,

No worries, I do that most of the time (and worse)

Kind regards
Tonga
Old 7th January 2006, 21:31

Hi to all ex Houlder Ore Carrier personnel.I sailed in all six ore carriers as well as
Mabel Warwick. First as Apprentice in Oregis in1956 under Capt Denis Parkin (later
Personnel Supt) and finally 1st Mate in Mabel Warwick in `68. Served all my career with Houlders including 5 years in the North Sea. Oregis was converted to a Diving Support Vessel in 74 and renamed Coupler 1, reverting back to Oregis in 76.She carried a full saturation diving team and had a Saturation chamber, Diving Bell and Wet Bell on board.Ship`s personnel were renamed Barge Master, Ass1t Bargemasters,
Roughnecks and Roustabouts as per Oil Rig rating. I was forced to retire on health grounds in 78 so no doubt Oregis is long gone.Incidentally Mabel Warwick had a sister ship Joya McCance.
Regards
Norsea
Old 7th January 2006, 22:01

My location
I did three trips on Oreosa 1961/62, Pepel Narvik and Monrovia, excellent cabins and food.
Old 8th January 2006, 13:23
user

My location
Pepel was interesting because it involved sailing up river and made a change from the usual ocean ore terminal. There was also the chance of monkeys being bought and brought onboard.
Old 8th January 2006, 14:24

My location
Trouble with pepel was that you needed to move ship to load another hold. Not much to do at a conveyorbelt sticking out of the jungle, only thing to do at Pepel was flame throw the insects.

Another exciting port was Wabana where you tied up on an exposed berth under a cliff and the ore came by conveyor belt from the mine to the top of the cliff.

Best place was Vitiria where it was just a rowboat into town.
Old 8th January 2006, 16:08
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltic Wal

Another exciting port was Wabana where you tied up on an exposed berth under a cliff and the ore came by conveyor belt from the mine to the top of the cliff.
Was that were the man with a large hammer took a swipe at the bigger lumps as the passed along the conveyor belt, in order to smash them and thereby avoid the huge drop on to the tank top with a 15kilo ore lump?
Old 8th January 2006, 17:20

My location
Thats right, it was a long drop from the top of the cliff and played havoc with the wooden sheathing we had, that and the grabs at General Terminus
Old 8th January 2006, 17:25
user

My location
Thanks Baltic Wal.
Old 24th February 2006, 19:22

Calum Thomson

Re JC to Roddy Macsween,
With age I sure did John as we all had to, but no offence. We did get to know each other better in Antwerp and were always glad you were there.
Good to hear you always,
Calum
Old 1st March 2006, 16:09

My location
Common Brothers ore carriers

Vallum Shipping Co. (Common Bros, BISCO, Jardine & Mathieson)

"Iron Age"
"Iron Ore"
"Iron Barque"
"Iron Horse"
"Iron Crown"

Hindustan Steam Shipping Co.
"Afghanistan"
"Daghestan"

"Iron Horse" happiest ship I've ever been in (2nd Mate 1963-4)

O.M. the redoubtable "T2" Taylor, a pint sized holy terror.
Purser/Ch.Stwd Bill Allaway
2/E Albert Le Blond- later a formidable Tyne and Wearside entrepreneur.

"Horse" and "Age" had Chinese crew, remainder were Brits.
Fovourite discharge ports for partying, Birkenhead (Bidston Dock)
Middlesbrough (Cargo Fleet)
Old 1st March 2006, 16:25

Afghanistan had Chinese crew when I sailed in her in 1968
Old 25th March 2006, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonga
Hello Bob,

As I did a voyage from Irlam to Narvik in January 1967 it seems very likely we were on board together, The Master was Captain Oddy I think?

I'm not sure why you come to the conclusion that I'm on Angelsey? Whilst Islands are definitely my forte, they tend to be Tongan rather than British.

Kind regards
Tonga
HI Tonga,

I have just joined the forum and enjoyinfg all the comments about the 'ore' boats, what pigs they were...! My first trip to see was in the OREMINA, Houlder Brothers, and it was nearly my last! Up to Narvik in ballast from Dagenham into the teeth of the big hurricane of 1970, anyone remember that? I can take a joke as well as the next man but that trip as an introduction was pushing it a bit. I note you sailed with Captain Oddy, I met him on the 'Mabel Warwick', or was it the 'OROTAVA', I am just away to dig out my discharge books to check. But for now I like the forum, I look forward to some good yarns.

regards
Derek
Old 28th March 2006, 19:02

Seeking pictures of 'bulkies'

Hi everyone,

I am trying to build a journal of my days on the ore ships of Houlder Brothers. Found a couple of nice pictures already on this excellent forum, but would like to know if anyone has any more they would like to share. I lost all my own shots years ago and have nothing to show my kids. Maybe, there are some salty dogs out there who knew me and took some piccies. I'd especially like to hear from them. To help focus in, here is a brief list of my trips...

OREMINA - 10/71 till early 72 - Houlder Brothers (my first trip Dagenham/Narvik, paid off in Falmouth)

Mabel Warwick - Aug 72 till Jan 73 - Capt Oddy.

OROTAVA - Nov 74 till Jan 75 - Capt Lewis

Sir Alexander Glen (bare boat charter OBO) - Sep 75 till Feb 76 - Capt Leach

Any piccies at all would be a great help. Hope to chat soon.

DerekC
Old 30th March 2006, 21:09
user

My location
Orotava enjoyed a succession of name changes: (1968) Orotava, (1969) Orotava bridge, 1974) Orotava, (1979) Ripon Grange. - At least she ended her time with a proper name