Cerinthus = 1954 - 1976 - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
02:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cerinthus = 1954 - 1976

User Tag List

Old 27th April 2006, 04:50
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - 1986

My location
Tonga,Do you know what happened to the HSC superintendents.Ican't remember their names but I know one was Clark and I forget the Senior supers name.They certainly were great guys.
Old 27th April 2006, 11:25
leo hannan

HSC Supers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Bass
Tonga,Do you know what happened to the HSC superintendents.Ican't remember their names but I know one was Clark and I forget the Senior supers name.They certainly were great guys.
Brian, does the name John Mcb Reid ring a bell, Hadleys chief super when I was with them. I think he got the push for nefarious practices.
Regards Leo
Old 27th April 2006, 16:59
user

My location
Brian,

John Reid is the main one in my time, he was a first class engineer, but did leave the company in the end.

There were other names, but my HSC mole is away for a week or so, so I'll have to get back to you with them.

Tonga

Last edited by non descript; 27th April 2006 at 17:09..
Old 28th April 2006, 05:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - 1986

My location
Leo/Tonga,Thanks for that.I certainly shouldn't have forgotten John McB as he was responsible for me getting promotion to Master and for staying with Hadley's.Clark I remember well especially for our journey across Russia after the sale of the "Cumbria",which was an adventure in itself
Old 28th April 2006, 14:14
leo hannan

Hadleys Supers

Brian. Do you remember Capt.Hutchinson/Hutcherson with Hadleys. I used to do workbys with him on the Hardwicke when he was Mate. Any idea what happened to him?
Regards Leo

Last edited by leo hannan; 28th April 2006 at 14:17.. Reason: forgot to sign off
Old 2nd May 2006, 16:00
user

My location
Leo - Brian,

I have some checking. Sadly no news of Hutchinson and HSC don't have any record of him - I have to admit I do have some memory of a mate of that name, but cannot place him. If/when it comes back to me I'll follow it up with a comment.

John Reid sadly passed away shortly after he left the company - his number 2 when you were there would have been Don Clark and it was he who handled the handover of Cumbria in Russia. - As you say, the trip home was a nightmare with one crew-member in particular keeping on getting lost and or wandering off. At least Japan Airlines came to your rescue with a chance sale of 30 tickes Moscow to London.... amazing what you can buy just by wandering in off the street!

The other HSC superintendent was Robson - a very decent man indeed, worked on the Cumbria as a new-building at Scott-Lithgow and did a first-class job.

Kind regards
Tonga

Last edited by non descript; 26th May 2007 at 18:45..
Old 2nd May 2006, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo hannan
Brian. Do you remember Capt.Hutchinson/Hutcherson with Hadleys. I used to do workbys with him on the Hardwicke when he was Mate. Any idea what happened to him?
Regards Leo
Sailed with Hutch on the Upwey Grange, he was master on that voyage, UK to the Great Lakes if memory serves, he was from the Shetlands I believe, only sailed with him the once. The Chief Engineer on that voyage was Ellis Mason.
Old 3rd May 2006, 12:49
leo hannan

Cerinthus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules
Sailed with Hutch on the Upwey Grange, he was master on that voyage, UK to the Great Lakes if memory serves, he was from the Shetlands I believe, only sailed with him the once. The Chief Engineer on that voyage was Ellis Mason.
Tonga/Hercules
Interesting to hear about Hutch and sorry to hear of the death of John McB. I remember Supt. Robson, as you say Tonga a very decent guy. Met him on many occasions on the Cumbria, one notable time was drydock in Skaramanga when we had to employ some crew members off the International Pool as John McB. kept sacking people. Interesting times.
Regards Leo (*)
PS I forgot Hercules, sailed with Ellis Mason on the Joya McCance(Tanker)

Last edited by leo hannan; 3rd May 2006 at 12:52..
Old 3rd May 2006, 16:28
user

My location
Leo,

Thank you; you have jogged my memory with the mention of Shetlands, and if I am correct Hutchinson was Mate on the Cumbria when I was 2/O - a really nice person, very quiet but good at his job. I'm glad he made Master.

Tonga
Old 3rd May 2006, 17:57
leo hannan

Tonga, I wonder if we have sailed together, we seem to know lots of the same people and we both have worked in Leadenhall St. I was in Sea Personnel. I'm not sure if you said you were in Chartering. Was there someone called Van De something in that dept? It rings a bell. Trouble is, as I get older ones memory gets a bit hazy.
Regards
Leo
Old 3rd May 2006, 19:20
user

My location
Leo,

I left the sea-staff in March 1976 and joined the shore-staff at 52 Leadenhall Street, and by chance the first ship I was involved with, in terms of Chartering, was the new-building Upwey Grange that you sailed on - she also delivered into service the same week that I joined the broking desk.

As for Dirk Van de Vos, yes he was on the Gas Tanker side of the ship-management and he had a model of that wonderful ship Humboldt on his desk - well it had to be "desk", we were not allowed offices in those days and furthermore there was a separate toilet for the Directors, who were given a key when they were appointed to the Board, as it was deemed most unwise to have the lesser staff urinating at the same time and same location as the Management.

I'll send you a PM with an email address.

Kind regards
Tonga

Last edited by non descript; 4th May 2006 at 07:18..
Old 5th May 2006, 12:34
leo hannan

Hi Tonga.
Got your message thanks. Will reply more fully when I get home. Am in UK for a couple of weeks, new grandchild.Not much access to computer.
Regards
Leo
Old 10th July 2006, 14:38

Cerinthus xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
In my 30 odd years at sea I only ever sailed on one tanker, apart from the coastal ones, she was the Cerinthus, Hadley Shipping Co. back in the last quarter of 1969. She was long in the tooth and not in very good shape so I doubt if she lasted much longer. She was running between Rotterdam and the north of Sweden, carrying fuel oil. We were banned from the Keil Canal because she was leaking oil, so were forced to go the long way round each trip.
Would be very much obliged if anyone could post a picture/history of her.
was on the cerinthus '72 taking i think a mixture of napalm and some other ingredient to rio grande in brazil and we had the same problem of cargo tank rivets leaking so bad they had to put booms around the ship when we finally docked.think we got away with fines etc when the skipper said it was the pilots fault for leaving us "high and dry" yards from the quayside as the tide receded
Old 10th July 2006, 14:54
user

My location
Malachy, ref: "taking i think a mixture of napalm and some other ingredient to rio grande in brazil"

Possibly Naptha as the cargo - but one never knows in these times

Last edited by non descript; 10th July 2006 at 17:13..
Old 1st March 2007, 16:27
user

My location
It now has its own page, as in Cerinthus in Ships Nostalgia Guides
Old 1st March 2007, 20:55
user

My location
Ships Nostalgia Guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
It now has its own page, as in Cerinthus in Ships Nostalgia Guides
There has been some questions (by PM) and some misunderstanding.

To avoid confusion, please allow me to explain: - What has been put in place by the Site Owners is a separate item - Ships Nostalgia Guides - which acts like Wikipedia. - A link as to how it works is here:

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/Help:Contents

For those of who who've used or seen Wikipedia, it may seem familiar as it uses the same software.

The idea is to allow Members to work together to edit factual, objective pages on ships, eras, docks, countries, companies, and anything else that comes to mind.

It is NOT designed to replace the normal threads we have all used, love and trust for our discussions, but to work in addition to those threads.

This is why I have used this one ship ( Cerinthus ) to work as an example, so some of the useful factual items we have gathered thanks to the Members, can be added to the page of Cerinthus, by putting it in as a link like this Cerinthus - as and when it is useful to show that such a page exists.

By making the link in this format Cerinthus it allow Members immediate and easy access to the interactive encyclopedia.

No one is forcing a change on the Members, it is merely an add-on that some may find useful

Good luck

Last edited by non descript; 1st March 2007 at 21:01..
Old 29th March 2007, 09:02

I joined the CERINTHUS as the R/O on the 19th Dec 1972 in Bandar Mashur and sailed for Montevideo. On leaving Montevideo we heard on the bbc that there had been a military coup. we were the last ship to leave port. It explained all the navy ships we passed on the way out.We sailed to La Plata Argentina and spent the next few mts trading between Bahia Blanca and La Plata. Then on to Shellhaven via Rosario Brazil and payed off on the 24th May 1973. Hope this is of interest to you
Regards

Last edited by aislinggear; 29th March 2007 at 16:05..
Old 29th March 2007, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aislinggear View Post
I joined the CERINTHUS as the R/O on the 19th Dec 1972 in Bandar Mashur and sailed for Montevideo. On leaving Montevideo we heard on the bbc that there had been a military coup. we were the last ship to leave port. It explained all the navy ships we passed on the way out.We sailed to La Plate Argentina and spent the next few mts trading between Bahia Blanca and La Plata. Then on to Shellhaven via Rosario Brazil and payed off on the 24th May 1973. Hope this is of interest to you
Regards
Hi Aislinggear.
I bet you had a wonderful time Bahia Blanca/La Plata. We used to do La Plata nearly every trip on the Hardwicke Grange. I don't know if you remember the London Bar or was it the Anchor Bar (old age) in La Plata but I used to work in there on my half-days. What lovely memories. We had guided tours around the meat factory. The cattle arrived by train from the Pampas accompanied by the Gouchos on their horses and a colourful site it was too. You needed a strong stomach watching the cattle being slaughtered. Happy days.
Regards
Leo
Old 29th March 2007, 10:52

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by aislinggear View Post
I joined the CERINTHUS as the R/O on the 19th Dec 1972 in Bandar Mashur and sailed for Montevideo. On leaving Montevideo we heard on the bbc that there had been a military coup. we were the last ship to leave port. It explained all the navy ships we passed on the way out.We sailed to La Plate Argentina and spent the next few mts trading between Bahia Blanca and La Plata. Then on to Shellhaven via Rosario Brazil and payed off on the 24th May 1973. Hope this is of interest to you
Regards
Hi Aislinggear,
We've either met or missed each other by a whisker. I joined the Cerinthus as R/O on 24th May 1975 at Shellhaven at 1530BST.
Welcome onboard.
How's that for your first post.
Cheers
Kris

Last edited by K urgess; 29th March 2007 at 11:05..
Old 29th March 2007, 16:29

Hi Kris. Hi Leo
Well that is some response to my very first post. I only found out about this site two days ago. Looking at the photo's has brought back many happy memories of my life at sea. I recall Leo a restaurant very near the tanker berth La Plata where we went for steak and chips every time we hit port. It was run by an Italian married to a local girl.I also remember a local bar run by a guy with one arm who was very left wing. A shout of Viva Castro was always followed by a drink on the house. In the bar down the road a shout of Viva Peron had much the same effect. There was an election campaign on at the time. Campora for President Peron for Power was one of the campaign slogans. Kris I cant recall whether I met you or not. Kind regards
Noel
Old 29th March 2007, 18:23
user

My location
Welcome aboard

Noel, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage
Old 29th March 2007, 19:40

Many thanks Tonga for the welcome.
Regards Noel
Old 8th May 2007, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Sahib View Post
Discussion thread for Cerinthus. If you would like to add a comment, click the New Reply button
i joined cerinthus in liverpool as ab . was on a couple libertey ships said never again .didnt relise till i saw her in dock .we went around south ameraca in her . at that time i thought she was cunard.still the middel 40s a long time ago .jim old sinner in oz
Old 8th May 2007, 10:47
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim brindley View Post
i joined cerinthus in liverpool as ab . was on a couple libertey ships said never again .didnt relise till i saw her in dock .we went around south ameraca in her . at that time i thought she was cunard.still the middel 40s a long time ago .jim old sinner in oz
Jim

I have taken the liberty of moving your post to this thread. The thread that you added to is merely a SN Guides Thread.

Kind regards
Mark
Old 9th May 2007, 01:55

thanks mark .sily old pom that i am . a hour later when i had another think about the ship memory came relised it was another ship . the trip on the cirunthus with whiskey and rum was a trip to rememeber . spelt cerinthus wrong ,sorry i get mixed up but was 60 yrs ago .old sinner jim in oz