Cerinthus = 1954 - 1976 - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
23:44

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cerinthus = 1954 - 1976

User Tag List

Old 13th October 2009, 12:31

[QUOTE=Tommo;367763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonguish View Post

The lighter in question was never lost , in fact I know exactly where it is off the berth in Haiti Fond Mombin . We must have been on the Cumbria at the time . Best Regards Ian
Hello Ian,

Never realised you were on this site. That trip on the Cerinthus was a hoot. Fires in Fond Mombin, Fights on the Jetty between the rather large Bosun and Pumpman, Christmas trees up the mast off lynas not to mention the strife you and a certain 3/O used to give a green 2/O, especially the Sy CroixRadio call, will always remember that one. Can't remember the lighter story though

Regards

John
Old 13th October 2009, 13:45

36 Years Ago?

[QUOTE=vasco;367807]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo View Post

Hello Ian,

Never realised you were on this site. That trip on the Cerinthus was a hoot. Fires in Fond Mombin, Fights on the Jetty between the rather large Bosun and Pumpman, Christmas trees up the mast off lynas not to mention the strife you and a certain 3/O used to give a green 2/O, especially the Sy CroixRadio call, will always remember that one. Can't remember the lighter story though

Regards

John
Hi John
I been a member quite a few years , never got round to typing anything yet ..hahahah
Was the 3/0 Seth ? where is he now do you or anyone know ?
The Lighter story? was aft of the funnel with Gilbert and Roddie partaking of Tennants coming into Haiti , unwrapped a packet of cigs and threw the wrapper overboard, along with a brand new gold dunhill lighter .
I read on one post about the night of the fire , and Roddies lady of the night , I watched her from the bar window legging it up the flying bridge with her jeans on back to front hugging a carton of cigs . Some things should never be forgot ha ?
Rgds
Ian
Old 13th October 2009, 20:02

Thumbs up cerinthus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saunders97 View Post
I was on the cerinthus as deck cadet for 18 months in 1962 i think. trading around middle east australia and new zealand and baltic

Wiil try and drag up more memories
hi, it seems that we may have been on cerinthus at the same time. i joined her in (i think ) october 1962 in rotterdam as galley boy. going to several baltic ports back to uk and then medi ports south africa, india, singapore, australia and new zealand, great trip and i think i paid of in the following summer. paj
Old 18th February 2010, 12:21

My location
Just been reading the book "Furness Withy 1891-1991" only a small paragraph about Hadleys. Much to my horror no mention of the "Worlds Greatest Tanker", how sad or is that just me!!!
Old 18th February 2010, 18:19
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
Just been reading the book "Furness Withy 1891-1991" only a small paragraph about Hadleys. Much to my horror no mention of the "Worlds Greatest Tanker", how sad or is that just me!!!
Very sad, but then again, PJW will not be too upset not to see his companys name displayed alongside TBFW and he does have his own book about HSC.
Old 16th January 2011, 15:20

Couldnt help but bump up this thread nearly a year since any posting, had an e-mail form Tony Moors daughter couldnt help but laugh thinking of a Skipper cutting a J/E hair both drunk and I think it was Port Harcourt, dont think he ever travelled without the hair cutting equipment.
Old 18th August 2012, 04:19
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - Present

I did 2 trips on the good ship Cerinthus between 1974 and 1976 as 4th engineer and 3 rd engineer, Fred Lott was Chief and Tony Moor Captain. I have fond memories of my times there it was a hard working ship. We spent Christmas 1974 off the Isle of Aaron waiting for orders and took turns getting to the shore hotel in a launch for Christmas and new year drinks, Wadding up the beach and back as I recall to get the launch.
Old 18th August 2012, 08:48

Hi Ken,

Think you got your years mixed up!
I was 2/O on the Cerinthus over Christmas 74 and don't recall Aaron. However we were anchored off Lynas when we had a christmas tree flying from the foremast.
Still good memories, it was a baptism of fire for me, first trip 2/O and went everywhere.
John (seem to remember the 4/E was roddie, a man of small stature. Everything was measured in Roddies! Possibly he was J/E and you were Fourth?) Have a look at my profile, all my dates are there.
Old 20th August 2012, 02:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - Present

Vasco, You are correct I have my years mixed up. It was Christmas 1975 and I was 3rd Engineer
Old 31st August 2012, 21:30

Ken remember that time well was a 5/e at the same time we had christmas laid up in Aaron I believe we met up again on the Uncle John later that year or the following year
Duncan
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:47

Hi all,

I'm looking for information about my father Tony Noon. he served in the Merchant Navy between 1967 - 1969 on the Cerinthus, Bidford Priory and Denby Grange. I think his rank on discharge from the MN was 5th Engineer. What did he do, what was his job role?
I have his Seamans Record Book and know when he sailed and where from, but not where to - why isn't that recorded?
I have the following dates that he sailed and if anyone knows anything, I would be forever in their debt!!
I've tried the national archives etc, but it all seems to be before WW2.....

Cerinthus:
02.08.67 - Ellesmere Port - Discharge: Ellesmere Port 21.10.67 - FGN
21.10.67 - Ellesmere Port - Discharge: Ellesmere Port 26.10.67 - HT RUN
22.11.67 - Greenock - Discharge: Greenock 03.12.67 - FGN
04.01.68 - Barry - Discharge: Ellesmere Port 07.01.68 - FGN
08.01.68 - Ellesmere Port - Discharge: South Shields 29.01.68 - FGN
30.01.68 - South Shields - Discharge: Ellesmere Port 08.04.68 - FGN
09.04.68 - Ellesmere Port - Discharge: Kingston Jamaica 02.07.68 - FGN

Denby Grange:
05.10.68 - Immingham - Discharge: Kristiansand 18.10.68

Bidford Priory:
21.11.68 - Hamburg - Discharge: London 01.05.69

Hope anyone can help!!!
Old 11th July 2015, 11:50

My location
Nice photo of the new Cerinthus in the gallery but is it as happy as the old girl!! Still under the Hadley flag. HSC Hadleys Sunshine Cruises oh happy days.
Old 25th October 2015, 15:57

My location
Watching Michael Portillo,s railway journeys last night he visited Koper and Trieste. This brought back memories of the Cerinthus being towed from Koper to Trieste for repairs. Anyone else remember this episode in the old girls life? It would have been in 1971, I remember drinking a lot of cheap Asti- Spumante!!!
Old 15th May 2016, 21:11

Hi Alan,
I was on that trip when we went to Trieste for repairs, can remember we gave the lifeboat a launch as an exercise!! really it was just a "jolly" beer,food, and swimming. Have since been back to Trieste it's a lovely place especially Mirrimar Castle?? Vinny
Old 5th November 2017, 07:25

Cerinthus - 1960

l realise this thread is a little dated but thought l would add to it in case there may be anyone out there who will be interested to know that even as a 6-year old in 1960 she was a "leaky" ship, As a green Junior Deck Apprentice l joined the ship in Barry Dock on 21st Jan 1960 , our voyage lasting over 12 months when we paid off at Tilbury 29th Jan 1961. My personal log-book from the time tells me that on a number of occasions when loaded with cargo, that after ullage readings, which were taken by myself, it became apparent that we were losing cargo, which then involved transferring oil to other no-full tanks to such level that we were no longer" losing" cargo. Will noy go into further details of our voyage now, but if any interest, then l am only too happy to provide more details of a very memorable and happy "Hadley cruise". Will finish off with the crew list as at time we left Barry Docks.

Master - Clifford Welch Chf.Off. - Thomas Woolcott
2nd Off. - Gordon Clarke 3rd Off. - Malcolm Hughes
R/O - Kenneth Mellor Chf.Eng.- Ernest Featherstone
2nd Eng - Kenneth Fearns 3rd Eng. - Leonard Hughes
3rd Eng -Ronald Duke 4th Eng. - Duncan Bathgate
4th Eng -John Lewis 5th Eng - Stephen Farmer
Elec. - Hugh Pugh Chf Stwd - Robert Pierce
2nd Stwd - Isaac Cruise Asst Stwd - Iawan Roberts
Asst Stwd - Brinley Watkins Chf Cook - William Irish
2nd Cook - Kenneth Hillberg Galley Boy - Anthony O,Connor
Cat Boy - Henry Carregher Cat Boy - Gerald Moran
Laundryman - Charlie Chan Carpenter - Henry Cowell
Bosun - John Bolger AB - David Jones
AB - Bernard Benson AB - Gordon Wilson
AB - John Elston AB - Ernest Proctor
AB - Joseph Davies EDH - Graham Leonard
SOS - John Collins jOS - Donial Price
JOS - Henry Greenslade Deckboy - Keith Davies
Pumpman - Charles Wahrmann Storekeeper - Walter Gervaise
D/G - Arthur Aitken D/G - Marcel Meheut
D/G - John Tomlinson FWT - William Ward
FWT - Stuart Rodgers FWT - Graham Wilson
Supernumary - Mary Woolcott - Chf.Officers newly married Wife
Sen. Deck App - Allan Collins Jun. Deck App. Richard Harding
(MYSELF, lowest of the low!)
Old 5th November 2017, 08:11

Photos of Cerinthus

Might be teaching "my mother to suck eggs" but if anyone is interested there are 3 photos on the following site, one B/W and 2 better colour photos:- www.helderline.nl/tanker/1399/cerinthus/
ENJOY !!