Joya McCance - Tanker 1967-1969 - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
22:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Joya McCance - Tanker 1967-1969

User Tag List

Old 10th March 2009, 16:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1966

My location
Capt Brett

Sorry can't recall any Beauval names now, I was pals with a few junior engineers and the sparky, I have a photo of sparks somewhere, his shack was considered very well equipped he told me. Went ashore with jnr engs when we hit decent ports which was not often.

Brett was perhaps in early 60's even then, was a bit crusty and did not trust the radar at all, preferred to be out on the wing during fog. He once berated me for constantly scanning the radar screen, even though we could detect ships miles away. Otherwise he was pretty good, left me alone during watches.
Brett was also on one the Granges during port refit in Liverpool approx Feb 1966, I was there doing nothing for 2 or 3 weeks.

mf
Old 10th March 2009, 17:38

Your description of Captain Brett coincides with my somewhat blurred memory of him.

As the memory banks churn over, I am almost certain that a chief engineer that I sailed with on the Brandon Priory, a certain Hartley Read from South Shields, also sailed on the Beauval in her early days.

I was quite taken aback years later to see Hartley Read interviewed at a northern shipyard (Haverton Hill?), where he held some exalted rank, on television in connection with the Derbyshire.

Regards

Bob W.
Old 23rd April 2009, 23:03
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1966

My location
Sorry I forgot to reply, No I can't recall any more names aboard the Beaval. I was pals with the Sparks, he came to visit me during our leave after Cork payoff. Went to a local party where he met up with a local girl, quite a successful evening for him! Later on maybe a year or two she married a local guy who was called Sparks. a slight or maybe meaningless coincidence but one I remember.

Last edited by holystone; 23rd April 2009 at 23:11..
Old 25th April 2009, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombersman View Post
Your description of Captain Brett coincides with my somewhat blurred memory of him.

As the memory banks churn over, I am almost certain that a chief engineer that I sailed with on the Brandon Priory, a certain Hartley Read from South Shields, also sailed on the Beauval in her early days.

I was quite taken aback years later to see Hartley Read interviewed at a northern shipyard (Haverton Hill?), where he held some exalted rank, on television in connection with the Derbyshire.

Regards

Bob W.
Hi Bob.
Could this be the Hartley (Reed) who ended up as Chief Supt. for Hadley Shipping.
Regards
Leo
Old 2nd April 2012, 04:42
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1965

steamship

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
My first ship with Houlders, signed on Birkenhead Feb 69 and did two trips paying off in London Aug 69. Captains Dixon and Jackson in command. Trips down to Bonny Bonny W Africa and the rest of the time spent around the Carribean mainly. A good ship and the start of a 17 year career with Houlders.
Alan T.
I remember capt D. R. Dixon. Was married to nice Dutch girl. We had a beard growing contest and he was mad at me for winning. That was on the Brandon. What engine did you have on the Joya?
Old 9th April 2012, 12:04

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I remember capt D. R. Dixon. Was married to nice Dutch girl. We had a beard growing contest and he was mad at me for winning. That was on the Brandon. What engine did you have on the Joya?
Sorry can,t answer about the engine, I was the Chief Cook though it had a large galley!! I believe it was a steam turbine and had a reputation as being one of the fastest tankers of its day. Alan.
Old 10th April 2012, 02:28

Hi Alan,
I was on the Hornby Grange then the Brandon then the Bidford. I heard the Joya McCance was fast but I thought it had a B&W Diesel. I went to the oilfields
and ended up managing operations all over the world for an American company.
Now I live happily retired in Arizona without a ship in sight.
Old 10th April 2012, 08:20

Definitely a steam turbine , I was an engineer on the good ship Joya and just lately found some photos taken in the engine room, which I must get posted on this site.
Old 10th April 2012, 15:53

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Flaws View Post
Definitely a steam turbine , I was an engineer on the good ship Joya and just lately found some photos taken in the engine room, which I must get posted on this site.
Hi Magnus, just been looking at some old crew lists for 1971 (April&September) and you were 4th Eng on both on the Joya.Captains Jacobson/Luff Ch/Engs A Herrington/R Phillips 2nds V Fernand/T Brennan 3rds B Messer/N Cormack, looking on the lists the only ones I sailed with were A Herrington, P Harvey Asst/Stwd and an old mate of mine Lennie Farrar the 2nd Steward. If you want anymore names let me know, Alan
Old 10th April 2012, 18:33

Alan,
I remember Vivian Fernand on the Bidford. He had his wife and little son with him. The little boy somehow got into Bomber's cabin and took a dump on the carpet. Quite a commotion that day but old Bomber took it well. Really funny.
Old 25th July 2012, 07:53
Active: 1971 - Present

You must have been there at the same time I was on board with my wife Jane we left in Nune 1974. Best Regards Ken West
Old 28th July 2012, 22:00
Active: 1971 - 1986

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken West View Post
You must have been there at the same time I was on board with my wife Jane we left in Nune 1974. Best Regards Ken West
Hi ken
Blast from the past I was Eng Cadet on Joya from jan 74 to june 74
via drydock in Cape Town. Trying to put faces to names
Old 5th August 2012, 04:25

Hi All,
Most Steam turbine Driven ships are fast & with the multi bladed propeller mentioned previously, she would have been 'very fast'.
But unfortunately, with the fuel crisis in 1973/4 when bunker prices went through the roof, most steam ships came under financial scrutiny, as they used much more bunker fuel.
Does anyone out there remember an incident on her, which I believe happened in London, where a Houlder crew member on leave, fell off the gangway while visiting some former shipmates in London Docks & was killed,
this was very sad as he was a lovely guy known as 'Tubby', who previously had been an AB on the MV Orenda Bridge on her maiden voyage.

Arthur C.
Old 5th August 2012, 09:45

I was not there, but from what I heard he was ashore on a stag night and went over on his way back. He was good freinds with Tim Christian.

I did my first trip as an apprentice withe Tubby, Tim, Tonto and Sunset on the Tenbury. They were great chaps who cut my hair short crossing the line.

Foxy Fowler the Old man then decreed that when I felt I could go ashore without embarresment they could. Foxy was always an Officer and Gent and I am sure he said this because he knew I would get special treatment and lots of incentives to go ashore!

I recall Tubby hurt his thumb somehow and have this vision of me calling him for duty and he just held up his thumb. It loses on paper but was quite comical.
Old 6th August 2012, 00:29

The comment on the bunkers was correct. Both the Brandon and the Bidford
did 13 knots. The Brandon did a little more with the extra nozzles and bigger burner tips when we took an injured seaman into Mombassa.
Old 6th August 2012, 01:02
Active: 1970 - Present

Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
The comment on the bunkers was correct. Both the Brandon and the Bidford
did 13 knots. The Brandon did a little more with the extra nozzles and bigger burner tips when we took an injured seaman into Mombassa.
You forgot to mention that the Brandon did go a bit faster but only when "both" boilers were working, which during my time was not that often.

As for the Joya, was the story about the good ship being built for some one else who backed out of the deal and then along came Hadley's (or was it Houlders) who went to the yard and saw a navy destroyer "bow" sitting in the same yard and made a deal to have that installed and discovered during the sea trials that it was very fast. Or was that some of many stories told to a naive young cadet.

PS. How you doing JP, still floating around the good old UK
Old 6th August 2012, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINEJOCKY View Post
You forgot to mention that the Brandon did go a bit faster but only when "both" boilers were working, which during my time was not that often.

As for the Joya, was the story about the good ship being built for some one else who backed out of the deal and then along came Hadley's (or was it Houlders) who went to the yard and saw a navy destroyer "bow" sitting in the same yard and made a deal to have that installed and discovered during the sea trials that it was very fast. Or was that some of many stories told to a naive young cadet.

PS. How you doing JP, still floating around the good old UK
1964 Launched as BEAUVAL for Biorn Bionstad,Oslo.Delivered in Houlder Bros. colours as BEAUVAL(7year charter to Shell) r/n JOYA McCANCE 1967 Ore Carriers Ltd.(Houlder Bros.)
Old 6th August 2012, 11:12
Active: 1970 - Present

Joya

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.FROST View Post
1964 Launched as BEAUVAL for Biorn Bionstad,Oslo.Delivered in Houlder Bros. colours as BEAUVAL(7year charter to Shell) r/n JOYA McCANCE 1967 Ore Carriers Ltd.(Houlder Bros.)
And there was me believing that story for the past 42 years, thanks for the correction.

John P. or was it you Leo who wound me up with that destroyer story.
Old 6th August 2012, 13:44
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

......there does seem to be some confusion betwixt the two Joya McCance names........or vessel types...

The 'original' Ore Carriers Ltd; Joya was built in Hartlepool in 1960 as was 'sister' Mabel Warwick....She became the St.Margaret in 1966 still under the Houlder Bros flag.........both vessels were under the BISC(ore) timecharter throughout...

geoff
Old 6th August 2012, 14:55

mv JOYA McCANCE'60(Gray-Doxford)Ore-Carriers Ltd., largest ship bt. by Wm.Gray,she had a beam of 69ft.1in.(Hartlepool locks 70ft.wide)1967 transferred to South American Saint Line (HB subsidary)r/n ST.MARARET to release the name for the steam-tanker.
Old 6th August 2012, 16:45
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.FROST View Post
mv JOYA McCANCE'60(Gray-Doxford)Ore-Carriers Ltd., largest ship bt. by Wm.Gray,she had a beam of 69ft.1in.(Hartlepool locks 70ft.wide)1967 transferred to South American Saint Line (HB subsidary)r/n ST.MARARET to release the name for the steam-tanker.
Indeed she was.....and we that were running her wanted to know if the Mabel was also going over to SASL as well..........Still wear my Ore Carriers tie from time to time........and still have a double unused pack of Houlder Bros playing cards!

geoff
Old 7th August 2012, 13:23

Quote:
And there was me believing that story for the past 42 years, thanks for the correction.

Now come on Malcolm, would I ever wind you up.
Old 7th August 2012, 19:30

Quote:

Not me, honest. Never heard that one before.

What I heard was she was bought because the Company that commissioned her couldn't/wouldn't pay and Johnny H was in the market and bought her cheap when she was built/nearly built. They then managed to 'con' Shell with a charter that paid a bonus for every 1/4 or 1/2 knot she did on voyages above a fixed speed (15knts?) which meant Houlders coined it until things got to hot then either bought themselves out or the charter ended. I believe she limped around after with only the kettle on.
I am still plying the High Seas (North, Celtic & Hebridean) in answer to your previuos question JP
Old 8th August 2012, 03:22

Hi Steamship. Just wanted to inform you that a second mate on the "Bidford Priory" 10:4:1970 to 11:11:1970 I kept a daily journal with all the daily noon chitys and after your 13kt estimate I checked, we never did less that 15.5kts loaded and often avarage 16.5kts for a ballast voyage
Old 8th August 2012, 05:12

Cool Turbine driven ships

Smooth, efficient, clean & fast, pity they could'nt have had a better more fuel efficient way of raising steam that was not dangerous.(nuclear reactors).

Arthur.