Houlders Gas Ships - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
22:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Houlders Gas Ships

User Tag List

Old 30th July 2006, 23:01

Greetings to you Houlders gas guys.

In February 1979 I was on a Liberian flagged small reefer named PLAYAS at Boele's yard in Bolnes repairing heavy weather damage. A Houlders gas boat, (I am not sufficiently qualified to know the correct term), named JOULE was also there for docking & we had a night out with the yard people at the local ten pin bowling alley, a nice meal & plenty of booze where we played a team against JOULE & lost. We then had a Micky Mouse darts contest hosted on our ship which we also lost. Then JOULE hosted another Mickey Mouse evening at which we lost again. Before we sailed Boele's gave us all a very nice clock which was NOT inscribed to the world's greatest Mickey Mouse losers - mine stopped a couple of years ago & they tell me it will cost £50+ to get it going again!

Just wanted to know if anyone remembers us & the Mickey Mouse tournements - we were a bunch of UK & Dutch guys working for an American outfit. I have to tell you Houlders people that you were great Mickey Mouse people which upset us as we really beleived that we working for the worlds foremost Mickey Mouse company.

I promise I'll come to the next contest.
Tony
Old 31st July 2006, 13:04
user

My location
Tony,
I was C/O on the Joule during her stay at that yard in 1975, but my lasting memory of the time in dry-dock (well floating dry-dock) was (a) the Joule catching fire and being attended to by the Bolnes Fire Brigade, and (b) spending an inordinate amount of time in the ballast tanks applying thistlebond to the various cracks in the ballast tanks.
I also remember having 50 tons of concrete poured into the ballast tanks to help contain the leaks from the hull; not easy on the calculations for refloating, and that was my excuse for the ship taking a 2 degree list when she came off the blocks.
There was also a large off-shore construction vessel, I think called Ocean Builder, lying alongside us and I remember they were interviewing for a crane driver, which involved a practical examination of their skills with some scary jib swinging.
I must have been sub-standard, I didn’t get a clock
Kind regards
Mark

Last edited by non descript; 28th February 2007 at 07:39.. Reason: corrected the date to 1975
Old 1st August 2006, 13:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978

Clerk Maxwell

I have some bitter-sweet memories of Clerk Maxwell. In the summer of 1966 I was standing by the Hardwicke Grange in Falmouth and looking at seeing my time in on that vessel. I was suddenly transferred to Clerk Maxwell and joined her in Southampton. The Maxwell was relatively new in those days and a learning experience at every corner. As an apprentice, I spent a great deal of time in the compressor room manually operating the compressers and condensers. At that time every cargo operation seemed fraught with challenges and events that were out of the ordinary. Aground off BA for four days. A week in Riga loading 20 tons of Butane. Gas-freeing was a long process with Master and 3/O keeping the bridge watch and 2/O and C/O on deck "puddle-heating". Although ammonia was the worse cargo to carry, butane would often give us a condition of loll that would result in many of the crew paying off at the first opportunity. I would hope that many of the problems we had were resolved as time went by. I was eventually pushed up to 3/O (U) for the last four months. I left the Clerk Maxwell in Middlesborough in February 68. The masters I sailed with were Glover and Hedger. I believe the mate was Jerry Lovell from RFA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clerk Maxwell.jpg (61.0 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Nova Scotian; 1st August 2006 at 15:16..
Old 1st August 2006, 13:31

The Black Max.

Hello Nova Scotian,

You can rest assured things did not improve on the "Black Max", I sailed on her in 1975, equivalent to a posting to Afghanistan.

Regards

Ninja.
Old 2nd October 2006, 21:50

Hi Tonga,
I was on the Joule on that day she had her slight list (2nd trip deck boy), If I remember rightly whilst we were travelling across the channel we had a collision with a trawler which punched a hole in her side, we then berthed at Leith for temporary repairs.
It was also on this trip that the tank started to float (somewhere between Japan & Indonesia) Unfortunately the containment space could not be pumped out due to the insulation blocking the pump suction this is when some holes were drilled from the cofferdam into the containment space to allow the water to flow through to be pumped out however this didn't work for the same reason (insulation blocking the holes) The answer was myself & the JOS had to spend shifts stuck in the cofferdam keeping the holes clear until the water had been cleared. (I got all the best jobs) Other than this I had a great trip on the Joule (except when I broke a rib but thats another story) If I remember correctly the Bosuns name was Gerry who was a huge man with a bald head & beard
Old 2nd October 2006, 22:51
user

My location
Hi NT,

Your experiences are very interesting, as there are many coincidences:

A) The Joule clearly had an enthusiasm for the two activities you “enjoyed”.... She managed to take a huge list, unaided by any human intervention, this time caused solely by the accidental operation of her hydraulic ballast valves, which opened all by themselves (whilst I was in the shower and watching the water run over the side instead of down the waste! – very scary) ) and thereby allowing a free transfer from Port to Starboard and as a result, a very exciting list – a brief mention of this was made on an earlier thread: https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showth...hlight=carrier at post # 16

B) Not only was she keen on developing lists, she also had an ability flood the containment space - https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=3128

These two thing happened seven years earlier than yours, so she was making quite a tradition of it!

C) You had much more experience than I did, for I see you enjoyed the LNG carrier Methane Princess in the Spring of 1980 – well done, I would have loved to have been on her or her sister.

D) Finally, you managed to be on King Charles at the end of 1980 when I was fixing her for trans-Atlantic Ore and Coal trading...

It’s a small world.

Kind regards
Mark
Old 31st December 2006, 19:02
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1986

My location
hi NT joule didn't go to leith she ended up at Middlesbourgh for repairs and gassing up. Then LEFO then Lasalina then Houston. regards stuart
Old 2nd January 2007, 14:08

Hi salty
Thanks for the memory jog, Do I take it you were onboard her at the same time.
Also would you have the all elusive photo of the Joule that everybody is searching for ?
Old 8th January 2007, 22:12

My location
Hi Nutty
Sure was, I have a photo but scanners not working at the moment, but there's more than one way to skin a goat.
Old 28th February 2007, 00:03

faraday

i goined the faraday as deck boy in lehave jan 72 paidoff in the gulf june 72 capt was Hedges ,first mate dickie bird the boson was frank Dobbs .all the best tim
Old 28th February 2007, 07:41
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim frary View Post
i goined the faraday as deck boy in lehave jan 72 paidoff in the gulf june 72 capt was Hedges ,first mate dickie bird the boson was frank Dobbs .all the best tim
Tim, it is possible that the Captain's name was Hedger.
Old 28th February 2007, 08:47

Ron Hedger was also the Master on the Maiden Vovage in 71 with Roy Southgate as 1st Mate.
Old 28th February 2007, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
Tim, it is possible that the Captain's name was Hedger.
Good morning Tonga/Ninja/Tim
Capt. Hedger, now there's a blast from the past.His son did quite well in the North Sea with Houlders and a very decent lad. I believe Ron Hedger started off as a baker. He sailed with the "Ferncarrier" when she piggy backed the "High Seas Driller" from Korea to Invergordon. He always said what an interesting trip that was. I joined the HSD in Invergordon then stayed there for the next two years.
Regards
Leo
Old 28th February 2007, 21:18
user

My location
Captain Jerry Lees

Just back from the sad occasion of Captain Jerry Lees’ funeral, he was only 65 and too young by a long way to be called in. The service was very dignified and there was a quality eulogy by Captain Mike Smith, and a strong reading from the New Testament by David Gazzard. There was a large contingent of Houlder Gas Tanker people (I’m not sure of the collective noun for a flock of Gas Tanker Captains, maybe it is a Condensate or a Pool ? )

Life is short and it seems important to make the best of it and leave the world a better place for our passing.

My thoughts tonight are very much with Jerry’s widow and family.
Old 28th February 2007, 21:27

Good evening Mark.
I'm sure that must have been a painful occasion for you and all who attended Jerry's farewell. It's never easy to say farewell to friends and colleagues, and my thoughts, as yours, are with Jerry's widow and family.
On a lighter note, Dave Gazzard's name rings a bell. I'm sure I sailed with him somewhere on a Gas Tanker.
Regards
Leo
Old 28th February 2007, 21:33
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
Good evening Mark.
I'm sure that must have been a painful occasion for you and all who attended Jerry's farewell. It's never easy to say farewell to friends and colleagues, and my thoughts, as yours, are with Jerry's widow and family.
On a lighter note, Dave Gazzard's name rings a bell. I'm sure I sailed with him somewhere on a Gas Tanker.
Regards
Leo
Leo/Mark

Maybe the Cavendish? - He told me he paid off sick (very sick) in Santos from her.

Last edited by non descript; 7th March 2007 at 10:40.. Reason: spelling correction
Old 1st March 2007, 20:43

Derek,
Sailed summer 1976 on the Humboldt Jacques was the old man the chief was a young guy I sailed as juniors or 5th eng the lecky was Dougie Sutherland
we broke down in the bay at Riga and had the Russians out to keep an eye on us
The 2rd eng was off a steam ship at the time
memory fails me for the names but I guess we probably sailed at the same time
I must dig out my discharge book for the dates
John Heaton
Old 6th March 2007, 20:40

Hi all, i sailed as junior engineer on the Joule, for several trips in the late 70's. can't remeber the years, must be my age. Now that was a ship full of leaks, we constantly got a call from the bridge telling we had sparks from the funnel that were going forward. And the engine trouble we had!!!!! But it was a good crew that all worked hard and played hard.
Old 7th March 2007, 08:23

Dave,

Was Bob Whittaker on the Joule during that period?

Regards

Ninja.
Old 7th March 2007, 10:49
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harris View Post
Hi all, i sailed as junior engineer on the Joule, for several trips in the late 70's. can't remeber the years, must be my age. Now that was a ship full of leaks, we constantly got a call from the bridge telling we had sparks from the funnel that were going forward. And the engine trouble we had!!!!! But it was a good crew that all worked hard and played hard.
Shipmate has kindly added an image of the Joule here:here

I suspect it is NOT the one you were one, as you refer to a ship full of leaks, which phrase sums of the first Joule.

Last edited by non descript; 7th March 2007 at 11:48..
Old 12th March 2007, 19:43

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
Shipmate has kindly added an image of the Joule here:here

I suspect it is NOT the one you were one, as you refer to a ship full of leaks, which phrase sums of the first Joule.
Tonga,
Thanks to saltyswamp I am now in possesion of a photo of the Joule that is hopefully attached,
Still not sure how to get it onto gallery but will keep trying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joule.jpg (73.4 KB, 108 views)
Old 12th March 2007, 21:57
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Taylor View Post
Tonga,
Thanks to saltyswamp I am now in possesion of a photo of the Joule that is hopefully attached,
Still not sure how to get it onto gallery but will keep trying.
You have done well, very well. Thank you.
Old 15th March 2007, 22:45

Tonga

V sorry but have not been on site for a while, without a doubt the hospital in Curacao! Bloody docs and nurses didn't or wouldn't speak eeegleesh so had to mime all requests. Failed miserably when it came to food and lost nearly 1 stone. BOAC staff brilliant, when I told a Stew that I was starving she brought me 6 trays of food, and I demolished the lot! Memories!!!!!
Old 21st April 2007, 02:17
user

My location
Joule

Thanks to Veste, we now have another good photograph of the Joule here
Old 26th June 2007, 21:09

My location
Thumbs up Joule Rules OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harris View Post
Hi Was 4E on Joule in late 70's also did drydock in Genoa in 77 as gash hand working on the genny's with scouse Armstrong so we worked and played hard
there was another steve(from swindon) can't remember his surname also capt'n Jubb ( The General) was also an extra. Scouse and myself sailed to Cartagena via Libya after the Drydock.
Also did the drydock in Rotterdam in Feb 79 George Charmers was C/E and Dickie whistler was old man. Wife came out for a few days now have a daughter who's 28 this year.
regards Stuart