Royston Grange = 1959 - 1972 - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
11:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Royston Grange = 1959 - 1972

User Tag List

Old 3rd January 2007, 19:53
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA View Post
Hello Tonga,

I believe I might be able to shed some light on "Batch', I will follow it up with an ex-Houlders man and I believe there is a royal connection.

Regards

Tom.
Thanks Tom, maybe he will arrange for you to get an invitation to Kate's wedding.
Old 3rd January 2007, 19:58
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
Hello all.
I mistakenly give "Batch" the name of Ken when in fact it was Ron. I do apologise for any confusion. One for you Tonga, I have in my posession a book by an Edward E. Stevens called Shipping Practices published 1946(5th Edition) in it are various examples of Charter Parties,Bill of Sale,Bills of Lading(Coastal&Liner)Plus A River plate outward Form from Houlder Line Do you know if this guy worked for Houlder in those days of yore. These are original forms as far as I can tell.
Reagrds
Leo
Leo

No worries, and I get confused without any outside influence - as for your Mr Stevens, I do have a record of a Mr E.F Stevens, who has been Assistant Company Secretary since 1934, was appointed as Company Secretary in June 1944, so it is more than likely that he would have been on hand to write a book, but I cannot be sure and it could just be a coincidence, as the initials do not match up.

Regards
Mark
Old 4th January 2007, 12:45

E.F.Stevens

Good Morning Mark.
I have checked the book and the auther is E.F.Stevens So I reckon they are one and the same. I don't seem to get things right these days.
I got this book and some old LLoyds Registers from Houlders Office when I was working overtime one Saturday morning re-arranging the Personnel Office for the incoming Furness/Shaw Saville staff (they were stuck at the back of a cupboard) The books not the new staff members!!!
Regards
Leo
Old 4th January 2007, 12:59
user

My location
Hi Leo,

Given the correct protocol that existed, I'm sure he was always addressed as Mr Stevens throughout his career, so no wonder the F got lost.....

I still have a copy of staff memo sent to the Managers at 53 Leadenhall Street saying "It has come to our notice that staff are lighting up at their desks before 3pm - whilst Managers are permitted to do this within the privacy of their own offices, staff are to be reminded that the must adhere to Company Policy."
Sadly I cannot remember what the company policy was
Old 4th January 2007, 16:06

Royston Grange

I have a copy of the Liberian Maritime Board investigation into the collision with the Tien Chee if anyone is interested.
Old 4th January 2007, 17:05

Enquiry Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwp View Post
I have a copy of the Liberian Maritime Board investigation into the collision with the Tien Chee if anyone is interested.
Hi MIWP.
How do I get a copy of that from you, it sounds worthwhile reading.
Much obliged
Leo
Old 5th January 2007, 02:01

John Houlder

Mark. Concerning John Houlder, I don't know if you recall the "Uncle John" the first self propelled oil support rig, or in its day "John's Folly" as every one thought in the company at the time. I remember sailing from the Tyne on the "Stolt Stuart" and it was aground just inside the breakwater on the North Tyne side of the river, it never made the sea on it maiden voyage, quite a black eye. Well its still going strong, I am based in Galveston and the "Uncle John" has been in port regularly over the last five or six years, since hurricanes "Katrina" and "Rita" she has been in big demand and sometimes in the way during our lightering ops, I have no idea who owns or operates her these days. Regarding "Batch" he never lost touch with his boys as he called us even after we left the company, I often wonder how he would fair in to-days "Hire and Fire" mode of operation. Regards John.
Old 5th January 2007, 08:03
user

My location
John,

Thanks, but there is in your text a degree of confusion with the names and indeed the history. The Oregis was the original name (when she was an ore-carrier) and also the name the converted ship had, when she set out with on her brief voyage towards the mouth of the Tyne and you saw her perched on the Black Midden Rocks.

The Uncle John that you have recently seen is a custom built semi-submersible built in 1977

This thread will add some more history of those days.
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=207

Kind regards
Mark

Last edited by non descript; 29th December 2008 at 08:05.. Reason: colour change
Old 6th January 2007, 00:35

Royston Grange

Mark. I stand corrected, I have been told that I have a photo of the "Oregis" high and dry at low water as we passed her, I will have to go through some hundreds a photos now to find it. I was only on one ore carrier, the "Orepton" 15th to 20th Jan 71 to take the ship from Middlesbrough to King Harry ferry for lay up (she was well past her best to say the least) and then back to the "Stolt Stuart" on the Tyne. Regards Jon.
Old 6th January 2007, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catp Jon V. Vincent View Post
Mark. I stand corrected, I have been told that I have a photo of the "Oregis" high and dry at low water as we passed her, I will have to go through some hundreds a photos now to find it. I was only on one ore carrier, the "Orepton" 15th to 20th Jan 71 to take the ship from Middlesbrough to King Harry ferry for lay up (she was well past her best to say the least) and then back to the "Stolt Stuart" on the Tyne. Regards Jon.
Hi Jon.
If you do find that photo of "Oregis" on the rocks, could you please upload it to the gallery. I have one, but it's copied from an old newspaper cutting and consequently not of a very good quality.
Regards
Leo
Old 6th January 2007, 13:17

My location
Leo,

I've got a couple of Oregis on the rocks that I took from the top of the "battery" at South Shields. I was at Martec at the time doing my electronics ticket and living in digs not far from where the pic was taken.

I'll post them later when I've sorted them out. They're slides in 30 year old cardboard mounts that are falling apart so a bit of "fiddling" is necessary.

If you look in my gallery there's a rather rough shot of her in drydock after the incident.

I remember the saga of trying to lift her off with the crane. I think the jib collapsed on the foclse but the weather had turned and you couldn't see much from South Shields so I missed that bit.

Cheers
Kris/
Old 6th January 2007, 16:43

Hi Kris.
Thanks for that link. Now downloaded it. I was on the Oregis for a couple of years out of Aberdeen. Happy days. When she was awaiting disposal on Tyneside I liberated some of the Houlder Line silverware, the clock out of the Master's cabin and one of the paintings. I wanted a porthole but that many had gone by the time I got there, the Engineer J.Grey had got fed up welding blanks over the holes so I had to pass up that one.
TONGA If you read this and want a piece of Houlder's Silverware(Needs cleaning) give me a shout.
Regards
Leo
Old 6th January 2007, 18:24
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catp Jon V. Vincent View Post
Jon,
No worries, that's the thing about ships, they either change their name, or take a name from a previous life, or even worse, don't change their name just when everyone thinks they have.

It would be good to see an image of her as and when you find time.

Anyway, the man (John Houlder) is still going strong and has not changed his name.

Regards
Mark

ps. There is some confusion over as to when she changed her name, but the image here, of her very sadly aground, does back up the belief that she was Oregis at the time, notwithstanding some books refering to the change taking place before this stranding:

http://www.southtynesidetoday.co.uk/...sectionID=6149

Last edited by non descript; 6th January 2007 at 18:35.. Reason: the ps added
Old 7th January 2007, 21:49
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Sahib View Post
Leo,

I've got a couple of Oregis on the rocks that I took from the top of the "battery" at South Shields. I was at Martec at the time doing my electronics ticket and living in digs not far from where the pic was taken.

I'll post them later when I've sorted them out. They're slides in 30 year old cardboard mounts that are falling apart so a bit of "fiddling" is necessary.

If you look in my gallery there's a rather rough shot of her in drydock after the incident.

I remember the saga of trying to lift her off with the crane. I think the jib collapsed on the foclse but the weather had turned and you couldn't see much from South Shields so I missed that bit.

Cheers
Kris/

Kris, as good as his word, has very kindly added the image here:

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...hp?photo=46251
Old 11th March 2007, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo hannan View Post
I have the Memorial Service Document which list all the crew & passengers.The Chief Steward W.Hagan, a collegue of mine was on his retirement trip and the Company told him to take his wife and daughter as a retirement gift.If anyone wants a copy give me a shout and I will try to upload it(I'm new to this computer stuf)
Regards leo hannan
Hi Leo,Among the dead on 'Royston Grange" was Heather Patrick the granddaughter of Capt. James Patrick the founder of James Patrick Shipping Co. in Australia early 1900s.From memory she was onboard as a guest of Houlder Bros and with her husband was on their honeymoon.Having worked for Patricks for many years I had met her and her death was a huge blow to her family and friends.A copy of the Memorial service would be greatly appreciated....Kind Regards....Greg Hughes
Old 11th March 2007, 13:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Let me know if you fail to get your hands on a copy - I have one I could print off. Duquesa
Old 11th March 2007, 16:20

Memorial Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.p.hughes View Post
Hi Leo,Among the dead on 'Royston Grange" was Heather Patrick the granddaughter of Capt. James Patrick the founder of James Patrick Shipping Co. in Australia early 1900s.From memory she was onboard as a guest of Houlder Bros and with her husband was on their honeymoon.Having worked for Patricks for many years I had met her and her death was a huge blow to her family and friends.A copy of the Memorial service would be greatly appreciated....Kind Regards....Greg Hughes
Hi Greg.
If you send me your e-mail address I will attempt to send you the Memorial Service. It comprises 6 pages. As I am not very computer literate I may have to send it in 6 different e-mails but I will give it a go. The only Australians I recall being onboard was one of the Deck Officers and his wife but there is no one with the name Heather, perhaps she had another first/second name and was using that. Their name was Craddock I think. Hope this helps.
Regards
Leo
PS Tonga is a mine of info about Houlder Bros.
Old 11th March 2007, 20:14
user

My location
Greg,

This may help, it is the printed sheet from the Memorial Service, listing the names of all those who lost their lives in this desperate tragedy.

Kind regards

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royston Grange Service Sheet 2.jpg (62.9 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by non descript; 12th March 2007 at 23:41..
Old 14th March 2007, 21:04
sailor63

Hi Ian, My name is Colin Knight, I made my first trip deep sea on the Royston way back in 1963, she was a lovely ship, and the end was tragic. all those souls. When i decided to document my years at sea i got in touch with Vic Young a great collector and supplier of photos and ship histories. He provided me with half a dozen 8x12 pics taken after the holocaust, not a lick of paint or piece of wood left on her. I vividly remember the newsreel footage on telly here in the U.K. I was home on leave at the time, that ship was ablaze from stem to stern, totally engulfed, a complete inferno. They must have took the film from a plane or chopper. cheers, C.K.
Old 23rd May 2007, 14:30

royston grange causualty list.

to be certain of the list you may have to go to Greenwich maritme museum records and pay for a search, either of the articles for the voyage, or of the Marine Departments inquiry-records which may be at Greenwich or through the MCA at southampton.
Regards Good hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil marsden View Post
I wonder if anyone could tell me if a casualty list exists of those lost in the tragic loss of Houlder's 'Royston Grange' when she was engulfed in flames following a collision, I believe whilst approaching Montivideo. If memory serves this would have been about 1971/72. I believe the Houlder vessel was in collision with a tanker, the resultant fire causing the deaths of all hands(?) aboard the 'Royston Grange'
I was at South Shields Tech. with a lad from North Wales who I believe was lost in this terrible accident.

Thank you

Neil Marsden
Old 23rd May 2007, 17:58
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by david freeman View Post
to be certain of the list you may have to go to Greenwich maritme museum records and pay for a search, either of the articles for the voyage, or of the Marine Departments inquiry-records which may be at Greenwich or through the MCA at southampton.
Regards Good hunting.

David,

I am not sure if there is some confusion? The desperately sad list of all those lost is at #68 above.

Regards
Mark
Old 28th May 2007, 16:06
Active: 1952 - 1989

My location
Royston Grange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
David,

I am not sure if there is some confusion? The desperately sad list of all those lost is at #68 above.

Regards
Mark
Thanks for the list Mark. It confirms something that I wasn't sure about, in that an old shipmate of mine was amongst the lost. Arthur Farrand R.I.P.

Trader.
Old 28th May 2007, 17:57
user

My location
Trader, I am sorry to have been the bearer of bad news; I share your thoughts.

Kind regards
Mark
Old 2nd June 2007, 09:18
Active: 1974 - Present

My location
Some sad memories recorded, above. I was on the Hardwicke - lovely ships. I do have a set of photos taken on board the Royston when she was lying alongside in Montevideo - only around the deck, no interior ones. Not gallery material, really, but if anyone wants copies, please ask.
Chris
Old 2nd June 2007, 20:53

Royston Grange

Hello Neil,
I was R/O on Houlder Brothers Swan River/GBWA.
On my first trip with Royal Mail Line on the RMS Aragon
2nd R/O was called Jack Barter. He became Chief R/O
on the Royston Grange and was found dead in his bunk.
All the crew were killed practically instantaneously when the ship
filled with explosive fumes.
A Marconi shore tech I worked with later told me that the
Royston had a radar blind spot caused by a derrick and that
might have been the cause of the accident.
rgds
Graham Powell