Ships Nostalgia banner

The Manchester 'Muck' Boats

9K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  mickbrown7 
#1 ·
Does anybody have any association with the above. I remember the "Salford City" and "Mancunium" when they were in steam and had rather tall funnels. Later, after they were re-engined, I served on the "Manc" for 12 months or so as second mate. I did all the steering from Davyhulme Sewage works to Eastham, had the river passage off then started steering all over again.At the loading berth we were about an hour (which I had off) then it was back on the wheel again. If we were stuck behind a Manchester Liner container vessel most of the way I wasa little knackered by the time Friday came round. Jimmie Atherton was the skipper and Gordon Bancroft was the mate.The cook's name was George and when I asked him what he would do when he retired he said "He just wanted to curl up and die "
I hope he didn't - he was quite a character.

#3 ·
Bellini/ Well we never went as far as to call it champagne. We weren't allowed to refer to the cargo as sewage but had to call it industrial sludge. When we used to load in Davyhulme on a hot summer's day with the saloon ports open our fried eggs used to turn green !

#6 ·
As a kid in '49 - '50 I used to cycle out to Barton locks most Sundays. I got to know the lock keepers and skippers of the some of the tugs and regular coasters like the Guiness, Birker Force, Shetland Coast etc and got to work my passage back to Pomona with them. The Mancunian was always tied up in her berth beside the lock and conjured up pictures of sailing into the Mersey and out to the bar with whatever cargo... As a Mancy kid from Gorton it conjured up pictures of the ocean and freedom to me. I wanted to go with her... but life took me down another road.

#7 ·
Ha ! Not seen this before....

My ol' mate Roy Lomas was a Mate and Skipper on the Manchester Sheet Boats, and was with them when they transferred to Liverpool.

He retired C 2000.

We were in the same Scout troop together - 2nd /218th Manchester ( St. Nicholas Burnage ) and he was in the same year as my younger brother at Burnage High School.

He tried to join Hain SS Co., but they were full up with deck apps.; so he went to Bank Line. He had an an accident and had to to give up going deep sea.

Anybody knew him ?

Laurie.

#8 ·
A few friends of mine were on the sh. boats, as far as I know they are not active on this site, but I can contact one of them, who may be able to contact the others. they are, Dave Schofield, Brian Gee, and John Higgins, there was a another, Frank Whalley, but, sadly, he died a few years back now. Mick Brown.

#9 ·
One of the Manchester sludge boats was named the Percy Dawson.
We saw her pass Cammell Lairds every couple of days, and always referred to her as the Percy Filth
I often wondered who Percy Dawson was, and imagined him as a Manchester Alderman or somesuch worthy, and wondered who he'd upset so much that they named a Sh1t boat after him.(Jester)

#14 ·
Yes Alec, Frank was ex RN. He was a nice guy, (Radcliffe, by the way, near Bolton) I had my share of Manchester Liners, home every 4 weeks (married mans run, as they were called) I can't recall Stan Perry, I knew a Tommy Perry, I think he was from Burnley way, in catering, as I was.

#17 ·
Yes Alec, I sailed with Len a few times on M. Liners, I am sorry to say he died a few years back now. I did not know if he was related to Frank. They were both Bosuns when I sailed with them, on different trips) I was on the Fame 4 trips (it was sold to the Greeks after my last trip) 16/12/69 to 26/7/70. I was second steward. They wanted to "containerize" me then and thats when I jacked in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.