Kuwait Shipping or UASC - Page 34 - Ships Nostalgia
11:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Kuwait Shipping or UASC

User Tag List

Old 30th May 2020, 15:40

wow,i never thought of it that way.i know everyone has stories to tell of both the russian classes and rightly justified but the real pig of the fleet was the original AL MOUBARAKIAH.built in east germany if memory serves.i did my first trip on her.captain parry and tom bailey in charge.it nearly did for all us.
Old 30th May 2020, 16:27
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgemate View Post
wow,i never thought of it that way.i know everyone has stories to tell of both the russian classes and rightly justified but the real pig of the fleet was the original AL MOUBARAKIAH.built in east germany if memory serves.i did my first trip on her.captain parry and tom bailey in charge.it nearly did for all us.
Aye it was my first trip in 1968 C/E Keith Dancey and Alf Carney 2/E. You are right she was built in East Germany and then sold onto the Chinese
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Al Mubarakiah colour.jpg (74.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 30th May 2020, 21:30
Active: 1970 - Present

I sailed with Chiefs Eddie Moore and Jack Etchells who had been with KSC from the early days, they thought 13 new ships from Russia was going to be the bees-knees but they were never great and disimproved rapidly. My two were Al Aridiah and Mansouriah, not old ships in 1975 but in a deplorable condition, another 5 months of blood, sweat, tears and Asahi beer.
Old 1st June 2020, 11:46
Active: 1963 - 1990

My location
I joined the Kadisiah in Nov 68 and wondered what I had walked into, the purifer flat was like the black hole of calcutta and she wasn't that old then, but my luck changed and was sent up to glasgow to join the Al Mubarakiah in Dec. one of the best laid out E/R's I have been on, Rupert you should have been on her when all the problems started with the M/E, even George the RO and Maurice the Elect were down in the E/R giving the rest of us a hand to pull units, I heard that when the MAN engineers came on board they took one look and said that's not our engine, see the East Germans and walked off! (Tom Bailey may be able to confirm that) but never heard what was found to cause all the problems and not untill I meet up with Albie a few years ago he told me she was still a problem after her repairs. Rupert, you and I sailed on the Al Khalidiah on her maiden voyage. KSC was certainly a good Company in the old days.