bendoran - Ships Nostalgia
17:33

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

bendoran

User Tag List

Old 16th February 2010, 15:16

bendoran

anybody remember the voyage Captain John Cringle died in the med,who were the officers in the middle 1960 ies
Old 17th February 2010, 16:14
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - 2014

My location
Remember the event very well, bit more difficult to recollect all the names but will try.Mind you it is 44 years ago!
Old 16th March 2010, 09:21

I was there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman View Post
anybody remember the voyage Captain John Cringle died in the med,who were the officers in the middle 1960 ies
Hi, I was the 2nd Mate on the voyage that Capt Cringle died. However, I am afraid that I can't remember any other officer's name. Now I sometimes have a problem remembering my own!!!!

I do remember that we had to put into a North African port to get a Dr to confirm his death. I seem to recall that he was buried at sea a short while later.
Old 21st March 2010, 22:53
Active: 1964 - 2007

Bendoran

I was up in Edinburgh last friday and i was talking to Archie Watters who was one of the last Marine Supts. Archie recalls that Alec Johmstone was the Chief Off on the voyage when Capt Cringle died outward bound .
Alec went on to become a marine supt and was also in charge of intake of new deck cadets. He did all the normall duties of the supts besides.
Alec lves in Dunfirmline

I have also obtained some other matter related to the Bendoran called the Ode to a Scouse. this was an odd written by the Late Capt J.C.Harvey in Singapore in Dec 1958 ,at this point Iam not sure what rank JC was and Iam finding out before i publish the ode . It is very good and will be worth reading by all on both sides of the border.
It will bring back memories to all on the far east run.

Await the moment.

Rgds Ian.

Last edited by ian keyl; 22nd March 2010 at 17:35.. Reason: spelling
Old 1st April 2010, 10:11

Hello Ian
I was interested in you remarks re bendoran .I often wonder what happened to Alec Johnstone as I was 1st Officer at the time .Alec was a bit upset that the company sent out Sandy Sinclair as he hoped command for the voyage . so he made supt in the end
for me it was my last voyage with Benline.
Rgds Airman
Old 4th September 2013, 23:11

Hello everyone

I am here on a family genealogy search - Captain John "Jack" Cringle was my great-uncle by marriage and I suspect I may be one of the last of his living relatives. If anyone has any stories about him I'd be very grateful to hear them.

Last edited by robbie armour; 5th September 2013 at 05:10..
Old 5th September 2013, 07:54
Active: 1957 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Remember the event very well, bit more difficult to recollect all the names but will try.Mind you it is 44 years ago!
Roddy
Was Dave Ormiston not Third Mate or Cadet at the time I recall him telling me about the event
Tom
Old 8th September 2013, 18:06
Active: 1965 - 2014

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Roddy
Was Dave Ormiston not Third Mate or Cadet at the time I recall him telling me about the event
Tom
Tom
Yes Dave was third mate,
Roddy