MV Kestrel - Ships Nostalgia
20:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

MV Kestrel

User Tag List

Old 26th November 2010, 17:56

MV Kestrel

This vessel plied the Auckland Harbour (NZ) for nearly one hundred years & was sold for conversion to a floating restaurant in Tauranga Harbour in the Bay of Plenty. The restaurant business has failed & attempts are being made to finance a tow back to Auckland & re-instatement to her previous condition.
She was the last of the ferries, built in the early 1900's, as steam powered vessels having a screw & rudder at both ends, similar to the Sydney Harbour & Hong Kong Star ferries, to operate in Auckland. She was later powered by a Crossley six cylinder diesel.
Further details will be added when available.
Old 6th December 2010, 11:44

Tow successful- Kestrel now back in Auckland for work to commence.
Will continue to update.
Old 28th May 2012, 01:29

Any updates on progress or are we destined to have another Toroa on our hands
Old 30th May 2012, 02:28
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandw View Post
Any updates on progress or are we destined to have another Toroa on our hands
Kestral has her own website where you can check on progress . I don`t think it will end up like Toroa

Here it is http://www.thekestrel.org.nz/
Old 30th May 2012, 03:00
Spongebob
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Sadly Toroa looks a sadder sight every time I go up to Auckland and view her on the hard from the South Western motorway, at least Kestrel is afloat

Bob
Old 6th August 2012, 01:16

Digressing slightly, but still on the subject of the North Shore Ferries.
I have lived in Adelaide Australia for the last 30 years and haven't visited Auckland since the late 80's but as a boy I lived in Devonport, then Takapuna and took many an enjoyable trip on the Toroa, Makora, Takapuna, and others, and on the vehicular ferries Ewen W and Alex Alison, and the Korea. Not once on any of those trips did anything unremarkable happen, and I for one never even considered the possiblity of an accident or breakdown.
However - on leaving school I trained as a cinema projectionist - an occupation I continued all my working life - and the following question has intrigued me for years. I seem to remember an accident occuring on a Birkenhead Vehicular ferry where a car somehow ended up in the water - killing one of its occupants. From memory the driver - whose occupation was given as a projectionist - was charged with murder. And that's all I remember about the incident. I am not even sure about the date - at a guess possibly the early 1950's and I was wondering whether anyone else remembered the incident.
Old 16th November 2012, 00:35

I can remeber this as a kid. I think it happened one Christmas eve when a car was driving off at Birkenhead and went into the drink between the ferry and the loading ramp which was different there from all the others used by the DSF Co Ltd. Incidentally the last of the Birkenhead vehicular ferry tee piles were only removed a few months ago and their is now a new passenger pontoon there
Old 25th March 2013, 08:53
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

I can remember going on her in the early 80's She was noisy, rattly and smelly, probably what got me into ships