Book:"Down to the Sea in Ships" by Horatio Clare - Ships Nostalgia
04:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Book:"Down to the Sea in Ships" by Horatio Clare

User Tag List

Old 10th March 2014, 13:20

Book:"Down to the Sea in Ships" by Horatio Clare

ISBN 9780701183103 - published by Chatto & Windus 2014.

Just finished this, a birthday present from my son. The book is the author's impressions of two voyages undertaken recently as supernumerary on Maersk container boats "Gerd Maersk" and "Maersk Pembroke". I think Mr Clare could best be described as a travel writer, but his principal aim seems to be to show readers something of the lives of modern seafarers who, unknown and unappreciated, keep the arteries of 21st-century commerce open. In this I think he has succeeded, and personally I found it interesting to compare the life that he found on board with my own experiences forty-odd years ago. Today's long-haul box boats, with minimal time in port, are comparable with the crude oil tankers that I then served on, but the working environment is hugely changed. "Dry" ships , Skype, laptops and dvd's have all but destroyed any social life, and almost all ship's complements are now polyglot, and based principally on hard-working, under-paid Filipinos. The author has made a few irritating technical mistakes in reporting what has been said to him without properly understanding it, and these could have been corrected by appropriate proof reading . The narrative is also a little "padded-out" with historical asides, but overall well worth the read, and recommended as an up-to-date snapshot of "life at sea" today.
I'd be interested to hear what other SN members make of it.
Old 10th March 2014, 16:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1975 - 1985

Just finished it myself. I think 'padded out' is the right description. I'd love to have heard from and about the people he sailed with rather than historical asides.
Old 10th March 2014, 16:43

Down to the Sea in Ships

There are already a couple of threads on this book Steve. Not sure if the moderators can merge the threads for this book and the similar book Deep Sea and Foreign Going by Rose George about life aboard a Maersk Container ship today
Old 11th March 2014, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiwera View Post
There are already a couple of threads on this book Steve. Not sure if the moderators can merge the threads for this book and the similar book Deep Sea and Foreign Going by Rose George about life aboard a Maersk Container ship today
Cheers, Waiwera, I've found them now. I have a suspicion that some members don't know there is a section for book reviews because it's right at the bottom of the forum listings!
Old 16th March 2014, 17:33

Has anyone read A Very Ordinary Seaman by JWP Mallelieu {spelling?]

Old book maybe out of print but real WW 2 RN. No BS or heroics just the way it was
Old 16th March 2014, 18:19
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1954 - 1965

My location
I read A Very Ordinary Seaman (#5 above) not long after it first was published and thought the same about it. A good read. Interestingly the author became a Labour MP whilst his daughter Ann is a QC and sits in the House of Lords. All a far cry from an Ordinary Seaman.

Ian